advertisement

Any advice on how to diy service old Linn KEILIDH speakers?

duckworp

pfm Member
My old Linn Keilidh speakers are going to my daughter for her first flat. They have been in the attic for a few years. I set them up and they sound a bit off, a bit soft in the bass, this seems to be the main issue.

Is there anything I can tighten or check easily? I am no engineer so I can only do simple things. Any advice welcome.

Carefully tighten down the bolts on the drivers - do NOT go Incredible Hulk on 'em -just snug 'em down. My experience with Linn speakers is they sounded great and sounded greater/even better with better amplification pushing them. What are you sending off in terms of amp to go with them ?

if they haven't been used for a while they might just need a good long play to get everything up and running the rubber seals around the cone's will need time to soften up again, OR maybe you are just looking back with rose tinted glasses and they were not that good in the first place :eek:
just had a look on ebay they are going for £420 all the way down to £115, and the £350 pair looks to have the most damage, strange, still a cracking first flat prezzy

There’s not much to service on them, as suggested, just run them for a bit and also move them a round a bit to see if things improved... of course they’ll sound different again in another room. Also, Keilidhs do need a decent amp behind them.

Carefully tighten down the bolts on the drivers - do NOT go Incredible Hulk on 'em -just snug 'em down. My experience with Linn speakers is they sounded great and sounded greater/even better with better amplification pushing them. What are you sending off in terms of amp to go with them ?

I picked up a ridiculously cheap second hand Pro-ject StereoBox RS integrated which seems to have a fair amount of power. Not rigged it up with that yet as it's waiting as a Christmas Present.

Can I ask how you access the bolts on the drivers? They seem to be bolt-less on the front unless I am just not looking properly.

There are trim rings on the two mid bass drivers, carefully prise them off to expose the driver securing bolts. Watch your veneer and also the rubber suspension ring on the drivers when you come to prise them off.
David

advertisement

Back