advertisement

Cap make?

JimmyB

pfm Member
Got a couple of populated Hackernaps from eBay but need to replace a damaged 1000uF cap.

Can anyone confirm the make? I did think Panasonic but not sure...

IMG-20190913-202710.jpg

IMG-20190913-202655.jpg

Thanks, both of these Hackernaps are fully populated with them and I'm going to initially use it in my P/S for the nac102.

I do have to read up again on the whole pros and cons of LCLCLC vs RCRCRC (which these are) but do you need more than a decent cap such as these if followed by a reg with gyrators mod?

I'll go with that then! Have to replace the cap and another couple of bits damaged in shipping (seller kindly gave me spares) so while the iron is hot.....

Looks like those Panasonic's are obsolete so maybe I'll need a few new ones just in case.

Was the cap damaged in shipping? They'll all be the same age so if not it'll probably be easier to replace them all now, rather than in ones and twosies over the next several years.

Many reputable caps (from a reputable distributor) will do. You're mostly just looking to match or better the voltage and ripple current specs. While 105ºC is nice, a standard 85ºC will do fine here. If you want to optimise, look for an ESR spec either matching or lower than the Panasonics.

I suspect these won't have had a hard enough life to justify changing them all. 100v rated caps in what was most likely a preamp and since attached to on of hackers boards, they're not too old I'd guess!

Those Panasonic Caps are decent and 105C if they are working OK leave them
For a pre amp IMO CLCRC works best for a power amp only I prefer C-C-C so I just fit wire links

Alan

The ha are one of there better ranges, excellent ripple for the size. They're one of my go to for psu duties. Getting harder to find in big values, 5000uf plus.

Impossible to find in this value it seems and not going to take a risk eBay.
Shame, will have to take the nearest best. Looks like I'll get 4 to replace in both Hackernaps, for visual reasons if nothing more, any suggestions or just go for the Panasonic NHG's which seem easily found.

Much to my surprise, these popped up on RS for back-order. Placed an order for 12 (as pretty cheap) but within 2hrs it was cancelled and I just got sick of it all and bought the recommended option in their e-mail......now a proud owner of several Vishay 1000μF 100V dc caps at £5.59 each !! Eeek. On top of the order for a 400Vac 2.2uF WIMA to help my fridge freezer sound better (previous fitted 275Vac failed after 6yrs) ...it's been an expensive week in capacitor land!

Oh, and here's a question, I only bought 4 as they were sooo costly. Based on the spec of these, put them at the front (traffo end) or the output end of the Hackercap?
I didn't think it would matter really but in case it does.....

It probably doesn't matter, but...

The Panasonics have a better ESR, while the Vishays have a better ripple rating; so use the Vishays on the input (traffo) side and the Panasonics on the output side.

advertisement

Back