advertisement

Boycott knighted - the ramifications.

The guilty always claim to be innocent. A Yorkshireman obviously will never get a fair trial in France ( ‘specially not from a woman, love).

Or a fair appeal it seemed...
You may or may not have noticed, but the the French like to say non or you can't do that. Once that is out the bag, getting them to turn it around is almost impossible.

Since arriving here I have been reading up on French education and I think the problem starts there. There is a culture of humiliation that makes people want to decline to commit or acknowledge things. And makes them like stressed out coiled springs. There are tricks like this in my kids' school: getting minus scores in tests, a point system that leads to specified punishments....never rewards. It's a semi international school, supposedly going fully international, managed by foreign teachers. And they want to get rid of the French teachers. But of course they cannot. Hilarious....or it would be if my kids were not there.

Not losing face is deeply buried in the culture. As is taking stuff out on other people. You can see it in the police. They are well rude mostly. I saw one police car in an RTA, Police car's fault, all 4 feds jumped out and were on the poor driver like gangster bullies. The little gimps on scooters appear to think their job is to threaten the population.

I have argued before that we are all unlikely to get a fair trial wherever we are. I'd be even more worried about getting an unfair conviction here than back home.

Anyway, must dash, got a tarte flambe and picon biere evening with my French friends in town tonight. Bonne soiree, mes amis rosbif!

‘Silly’ was a central plank in his defence, though for correctness he said ‘Englishman’. Fortunately we don’t live in societies in this part of the world where the convicted get to determine who’s guilty and who’s innocent. We’ve currently got a multiply convicted violent fraudster already pulling that stunt with his ‘innocent journalist/ prisoner of conscience’ act.

‘Silly’ was a central plank in his defence, though for correctness he said ‘Englishman’. Fortunately we don’t live in societies in this part of the world where the convicted get to determine who’s guilty and who’s innocent. We’ve currently got a multiply convicted violent fraudster already pulling that stunt with his ‘innocent journalist/ prisoner of conscience’ act.
Just like Ched, eh?

You may or may not have noticed, but the the French like to say non or you can't do that. Once that is out the bag, getting them to turn it around is almost impossible.

Since arriving here I have been reading up on French education and I think the problem starts there. There is a culture of humiliation that makes people want to decline to commit or acknowledge things. And makes them like stressed out coiled springs. There are tricks like this in my kids' school: getting minus scores in tests, a point system that leads to specified punishments....never rewards. It's a semi international school, supposedly going fully international, managed by foreign teachers. And they want to get rid of the French teachers. But of course they cannot. Hilarious....or it would be if my kids were not there.

Not losing face is deeply buried in the culture. As is taking stuff out on other people. You can see it in the police. They are well rude mostly. I saw one police car in an RTA, Police car's fault, all 4 feds jumped out and were on the poor driver like gangster bullies. The little gimps on scooters appear to think their job is to threaten the population.

I have argued before that we are all unlikely to get a fair trial wherever we are. I'd be even more worried about getting an unfair conviction here than back home.

Anyway, must dash, got a tarte flambe and picon biere evening with my French friends in town tonight. Bonne soiree, mes amis rosbif!
Rich, you strike me as someone who’s gone through life permanently aggrieved. Here you are now in France in a state of aggrievement. Very little seems to be to your liking. If you got a free council house in Hull and the guy’s next door had a neatly painted fence, you’d take out a grievance even if the guy had painted it himself. Your views of the police and the justice system say more about you really. When you protest about balance and fairness, you are always the one holding the scales and if it’s not advantageous to you, you’ll label it unfair or unbalanced. You make your own luck in life and if you don’t like somewhere, there’s nothing to stop you upping sticks and moving- or have you done that to the point of exhaustion already?

Regarding Ched Evans- it might be more useful to you to open the thread and see what I said, if I said anything!

Rich, you strike me as someone who’s gone through life permanently aggrieved. Here you are now in France in a state of aggrievement. Very little seems to be to your liking. If you got a free council house in Hull and the guy’s next door had a neatly painted fence, you’d take out a grievance even if the guy had painted it himself. Your views of the police and the justice system say more about you really. When you protest about balance and fairness, you are always the one holding the scales and if it’s not advantageous to you, you’ll label it unfair or unbalanced. You make your own luck in life and if you don’t like somewhere, there’s nothing to stop you upping sticks and moving- or have you done that to the point of exhaustion already?

Regarding Ched Evans- it might be more useful to you to open the thread and see what I said, if I said anything!
Ched. Evans.

The weather is better, the bread is better, the women are better looking, the infrastructure is better, the health service is better, my business is doing better. I'm happy. But I do enjoy pointing out the 'issues'

Let me get this right
you slag off the French education system
With experience of an international school...

Also, given the French predisposition to setting fire to things at a moment’s disagreement do you not think they’d be up in arms if they thought their judicial system was perceived to be unfair?

Just like Ched, eh?
Rich, I know you’ve got a dinner date tonight, so. I thought I’d save you the time and go through the 22 pages of the first Ched Evans thread as well as the follow up thread. I made not a single comment on Ched Evans. Not a Dickie Bird.

Let me get this right
you slag off the French education system
With experience of an international school...

Also, given the French predisposition to setting fire to things at a moment’s disagreement do you not think they’d be up in arms if they thought their judicial system was perceived to be unfair?
It is a french state school going through transition. It is fascinating. At a meeting with a french and American teacher regarding my daughter's progress, I could not believe how aggressive the French teacher was and how fluffy feel-good the American was. They have a ton of work ahead of them if they want to get the school from A to B. So far it has not really moved from A at all, other than they have maybe 200 kids there that are not French and a dozen teachers. There is a ton of expat perspective out there regarding schools in France, Bob. It's an overwhelming non. If you want I'll dig out some links.

You are right about the other bit, though. I have yet to work out why they don't say non to these kinds of things.

I might moan like hell but mostly things are looking up when I am not living in Hull.

There are far worse recipients of honours. At least he was a skilled batsman who did his best for his country.

It doesn't make any sense to me that Geoff should lose his knighthood, his personal life has little to do with his service to his country, his own morals mean nothing to me or anyone else who is a stranger to him. Also the mantra of 'Because of the message it sends out' has attained a sort of pubic health status in the West, so using that phrase in relation to anything automatically means its not up for discussion. I hate bullying and that includes DV against women, but the fact that a public figure may or may not have committed DV isn't going to influence my own personal behaviour, nor I'm sure will it any of the other good folk of PFM, but its 'the others' we have to watch out for isn't it? Those who don't know better eh?

Last edited:

advertisement

Back