advertisement

A final CD player?

Opus 21 to Naim CDS3 here . Pre amp a Nac52. kept the Opus though as a back up and for use in other set ups. Was going to sell but it still never fails to please. It would be right back in action if I decided to sell the cds3. The Naim is no longer in production though and would cost around 3X the price of the Opus.
Isis sounds like a super option . Again , expensive.Never tried one myself. If one popped up at a bargain price Id be tempted to check it out but that's highly unlikely . Id really have to punt the Opus too. Something as a transport with a top Chord Dac ( TT2 ?) would be interesting to hear. Maybe sometime.
I'll stick with what Ive got though. Very happy for now.

When I had Martin Logan summit x I just had a massive wall of sound and it was quite incredible. What is this narrow dispersion thing? I know there is a sweet spot but isn't that like all speakers?

I remember that you had them in a smallish room, and also not evenly placed as regards space behind. It speaks well of the Summits to create that presentation in those circumstances (something which I think you've remarked upon before). the dispersion angle from (any?) M-L is 30 degrees. Fine if you have a long, big room. My quads sound the same at either end of a 7 foot sofa from just 4+ metes away and unfortunately only 1.7 m between (edge to edge). Wonder if my 100 watt valved mono's would do the Summits justice.:(.

RICHARD, all agog here for your initial report; obviously in comparison to your Opus, allowing for audio memory. I'm also interested if the output differs from your Opus as shown on your meters. I have to attenuate my CDP slightly, but the Lector does shunt out a lot !

I use a custom modified Philips CD 104 (the modifications are NOS, new clock, and custom built analogue stage) with the mechanics serviced and all re=capped. These machines are very musical, so much so, I had another commissioned to ensure it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't, and it is close to a Naim HDX, NDAC, XPS level. I think the Naim CD players and streamers are better, but I was pleasantly surprised at the 39 year old 14 bit custom made Philips (as I said I have two :) )

My friend John Channing has heard it too :)

Best player I've heard personally is between a CD555, CDS3 and the Isis. The latter was quite a revelation and if I didn't already have a CDS3 I would be looking at one. The CD555 I have heard a few times and while I think it is probably the best all round player its cost is a bit crazy even pre-owned. I know I am a bit of a Naim chap, but the poster slagging the CD555 off a few pages back must have an agenda as even if you don't rate it as top of the tree it's certainly a fine player and to say otherwise is peculiar.

Best CD I have heard is a Linn CD12 can be had for two and half thousand euros not bad when you consider how much it was new.

Best player I've heard personally is between a CD555, CDS3 and the Isis. The latter was quite a revelation and if I didn't already have a CDS3 I would be looking at one. The CD555 I have heard a few times and while I think it is probably the best all round player its cost is a bit crazy even pre-owned. I know I am a bit of a Naim chap, but the poster slagging the CD555 off a few pages back must have an agenda as even if you don't rate it as top of the tree it's certainly a fine player and to say otherwise is peculiar.
An anti naim agenda on here, never;)

Best CD I have heard is a Linn CD12

Seconded, but that was in the very late nineties in my own (upper Naim/big ProAc) system. The dealer demmed it against CDS2 and another, valved curiosity. Second time was at Doug Brady's. No question, it was prob. the best player of its time. £12000 ? That would equal 555 territory now, at least !

When mentioning the Isis, it's worth saying which version it was, as they're different in format, price and presentation.

Seconded, but that was in the very late nineties in my own (upper Naim/big ProAc) system. The dealer demmed it against CDS2 and another, valved curiosity. Second time was at Doug Brady's. No question, it was prob. the best player of its time. £12000 ? That would equal 555 territory now, at least !

When mentioning the Isis, it's worth saying which version it was, as they're different in format, price and presentation.
I got as far as a Linn ikimi that CD player opened up my CD's like I never heard before. Before that i had a magic.

Best CD I have heard is a Linn CD12 can be had for two and half thousand euros not bad when you consider how much it was new.

I heard a Karik/Numerik when they first came out and that was very impressive, but after that have sort of lost my way with Linn and have never heard a CD12.

Yes, the CD12 was wonderfull but pricey.
Ikemi was very good too.

Unfortunately their after-support is not world-class, hence my decision to use Rega or Naim players.

Yes, the CD12 was wonderfull but pricey.
Ikemi was very good too.

Unfortunately their after-support is not world-class, hence my decision to use Rega or Naim players.
I got good service from Linn a engineer was sent out from the factory to fix one of my amps. After demonstrating he took it away. Came back a week later staying two hours fine tuning my system. I gave up on Linn also they are a never ending up-grade an expensive one at that. They do make very good systems but not for me now.

Bought a used Isis SS. Being delivered today.
Should have gone the bake off route first but impulse got the better of me.
Looking forward to trying it out.
Fingers crossed.

Remarkably quiet ;-)
Richard - So how is your new Isis performing?

Bought a used Isis SS. Being delivered today.
Should have gone the bake off route first but impulse got the better of me.
Looking forward to trying it out.
Fingers crossed.
You will like it !

I found mine highly responsive to various tweaks.
Already great, became even better

Remarkably quiet ;-)
Richard - So how is your new Isis performing?

Been too busy listening to my CDs!!

Its very early days but the bottom line is that I am impressed and very happy. No buyers remorse just a quiet contentment of having made a good choice.

Of course there are many other fine players out there (that I have never and will never hear) but this one really works for me in terms of greater musical enjoyment plus provides nice add-ons such as product longevity, understated styling and what looks like excellent build quality (on the outside and presumably on the inside too).

Starting with the less important aspect, the unit looks great in the flesh and the packaging is confidence inspiring. Perhaps I have read it somewhere but it looks like stealth-like i.e. expensive, focused, advanced tech, durable. In contrast the remote control is a bit "blocky" and almost too heavy. Surely an opportunity for a mark 2 version!

I received the Isis late on Thursday afternoon and plugged it in straightaway to make sure all was well. Took me ages to find the power switch - even thought about calling the dealer. It looks like part of the trim. Once spotted its obvious but in my rush to get going I just couldn't see it. Idiot.

First impressions pretty good. A meatier and weightier sound. More bass and greater bass impact - not bass heavy or deliberately tipped in that direction just more bandwidth. Good start.

Sadly had to cut listening short as was due to meet old mate in town for beers ...

Restarted listening at 11am with hangover still lingering. More importantly in a better frame of mind - relaxed and just listening for enjoyment.

All other benefits very quickly apparent - can hear more of everything. Subtle but important intonations from singers, clarity of vocals, sophistication of players, wider and deeper soundstage etc etc. I am a numbers not a words person so its not easy to offer a fulsome description but I would say that the upgrade means that all CDs tried to date almost sound as they are different takes of the same music but with musicians and singers putting a little bit more into their performance - effort, skills, interpretation. I guess that sounds a little bit over the top. To be clear its not night and day but its certainly a marked and very worthwhile improvement. I can hear more but in a balanced and relaxed way. That makes each performance more interesting, realistic and enjoyable.

As others will have noted with their own successful upgrades, there is a wonderful side effect in that some of the album tracks that I have previously skipped over, now make more sense and I have enjoyed listening to them too. In that way, I have effectively expanded my music collection.

My first hifi system was a Rega Planar 3, NAD 3020 and AR18s (I still have the Rega). In a later system iteration I bought a pair of Mk 1 ELAs (with the fully fluted fronts and the Royd drivers, I think). Both those Rega products brought me much enjoyment and represented excellent value for money. This Isis already makes me feel the same way.

I will work through the rest of my favourite CDs over the coming weeks. I am looking forward to it.

You will like it !

I found mine highly responsive to various tweaks.
Already great, became even better

I have used the Isis as boxed - with Rega power cords and interconnects. My pre-amp also has XLR inputs so I will try those in due course but I don't feel the need just now. Its plugged into a Vertex mains block which I bought years ago and always thought offered an incremental benefit to the Opus. I can't try it direct into the wall socket as the Rega lead isn't long enough.

As noted above, the Isis sounds bloody good as it stands.

advertisement

Back