• Yes they work for me

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Yes but no sure they do anything

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unless prescribed, addittional vitamins are not required. I believe the body does not keep storing vitamins, it fills up with vitamins until it need more, it does not stockpile.
I know stuff like vitamin D in the winter, and if you are vegan you do miss one or two vitamins. My BT's are all good according to the GP, and some of the best she has seen
and all I do is eat sensibly with a varied diet.

Bloss

You can find some interesting articles regarding Vit D and prostate cancer. But you can also find other bits that say there is no connection. Trouble is its a fat soluble one, and the doses I take are quite high - my choice. Other than that the comments about varied diet hold true, but an occasional multivitamin would be sensible, as many of us don't eat a varied/nutritionally sound diet.

Steve

Reactions: BJP
Unless prescribed, addittional vitamins are not required. I believe the body does not keep storing vitamins, it fills up with vitamins until it need more, it does not stockpile.
Bloss

Some vitamins are stored, some not, some vitamins that are stored will provide for months without any intake.
Search online for what are and what aren't stored. IIRC, genetics play a part, some people can naturally store more of some vitamins than others.

Occasional supplementation would only be of any use if it is of a vitamin that is stored, or your intake or absorption is temporarily compromised. If you/your normal diet are deficient in a vitamin that is not stored, you need a supplement every day.

I do, with good reason. When I had my road accident I was in a bad way for some months, in fact 2 years, and I was tested for all and sundry. Some 18 months in I had a full blood test at the hospital endocrinology dept to find out why things weren't right. All the numbers came back OK apart from Vit D, which was just below the acceptable level. Not enough to be a problem, but a marker. Now at that time I was taking a multivit most days with 100% RDA Vit D, and I had a decent diet, lots of exposure to the sun (it was spring) and I have pale skin. So I have since carried on. The supermarket ones cost next to nothing anyway, literally a penny or two a day.

There are peer reviewed medical papers that suggest that Vit D supplements are a good idea for dark skinned people living in northern latitudes such as the UK. A number of British Asians have low levels of Vit D, this is a function of diet, lifestyle and genetics and it is severe enough to be (AIUI) one of the targets for the NHS in places like Bradford.

Asian people in the UK are often deficient in vitamin D, the cause traditionally being said to be dress code - certainly the older generations wear clothes that expose very little skin to sunlight.

The only one I take is Vit 'C' to try to ward off colds, I do take a high dose as I think that a double Nobel Laureate cannot be all wrong :)

Reactions: BJP
It can’t do any harm so I take a multivitamin tablet a few times a week, plus cod liver oil. I had an MOT last year and my GP said I have a very healthy diet, but unfortunately an unhealthy one too, which I thought was quite insightful from a little vial of blood!

Fortunately the over-doses involved tend to have to be very high, but in excess, some vitamins are toxic, some are generally harmful, and some can interfere with absorption of other nutrients.

The supposed benefit of vitamin C in warding-off colds was disproved LONG ago. Relying on Nobel laureates for advice outside of their fields would lead to all manner of disasters...................

http://skepdic.com/nobeldisease.html

High dose prescription B12 here as veggie and diabetic. Certainly makes a difference. Also take conventional multivitamins now and again, e.g. if catching a cold, hungover or just notice the pill jar and remember!

Massive doses of Vit D. here on advice of neurologist and Vit. B complex although I suspect that is just because of a bad diet adn I will be taken off it at my next blood test.

Also a "Breakfast of Champions" Nandrolone supplement my trainer makes for me as I get ready for Tokyo 2020.

I take daily fish oil and plant stanols/sterols. Helps to lower my cholesterol and avoid statins. Also take a daily multivitamin.

advertisement

Back