advertisement

Boycott knighted - the ramifications.

Goodness knows how bare knuckle fighters got on then, it could not have been all body shots?

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that they mainly were - which is why the bouts could last so long. I assume noses, since they were relatively soft, were also targeted.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that they mainly were - which is why the bouts could last so long. I assume noses, since they were relatively soft, were also targeted.

They went on for far more than twenty plus rounds and there must have been far more than 20 head shots

Bloss

They went on for far more than twenty plus rounds and there must have been far more than 20 head shots

Bloss
Look at the state of the average boxers hands. I've a few books in the bare knuckle era & seem to recall that body, throat, nose & jaw were targeted.

I don't mind the honours system. But I do mind giving knighthoods to young people who have earned a fortune doing things for themselves (sports people) or 'celebrity' TV presenters. I can think of a certain professor of physics who has a CBE for being on TV, whereas there are hundreds more (less camera friendly) who do all the work behind the scenes that are unrecognised. In sport, it all went wrong for me when Kelly Holmes was made a Dame after her Athens Olympics achievements. I thought that was too hasty. They should have waited until she had used her fame to do years of work for society.

Look at the state of the average boxers hands. I've a few books in the bare knuckle era & seem to recall that body, throat, nose & jaw were targeted.

I thought most of the connections had a glancing element so rarely a full on dead hit. Some of the injuries were tears rather than concussions.

I doubt I could hit someone head on ungloved once without incurring serious damage.

On a related note how could anyone believe in intelligent design who's walked into a bed leg?

Targeted, so I would imagine quite a few shots missed and hit harder target areas

bloss

I don't mind the honours system. But I do mind giving knighthoods to young people who have earned a fortune doing things for themselves (sports people) or 'celebrity' TV presenters. I can think of a certain professor of physics who has a CBE for being on TV, whereas there are hundreds more (less camera friendly) who do all the work behind the scenes that are unrecognised. In sport, it all went wrong for me when Kelly Holmes was made a Dame after her Athens Olympics achievements. I thought that was too hasty. They should have waited until she had used her fame to do years of work for society.

Like they did with Jimmy Savile.

It's a bonkers system. The only people who get them have to be nominated...so if you're great and everyone thinks you're great, but don't know how the system works, you'll never get one.

I know of one or two institutions that regularly recommend individual employees. Makes them look good by proxy.

I was hoping I’d have been able to rename this thread ‘knight boycotted’ by now, but apparently not.

Well, if being a convicted purveyor of domestic violence isn't enough to to stop getting a knighthood, surely breaking the sporting apartheid sanctions should be.

The case was as dodgy as the Ched Evans case. The thread on pfm about that one makes interesting reading, some fishies' words now look so stupid...... "It's an outrage that this rapist got a job playing football again blah blah blah".

advertisement

Back