advertisement

Boycott knighted - the ramifications.

Andrew C!

Been around a while....
Started this thread so it doesn't over pollute the Ashes thread.

I'm not for it. I'm not happy at the message it sends to survivors of DV. However expecting May to consider this when awarding the knighthood is, frankly, ridiculous.

AIMHO of course.

What makes you think May gave the awards committee’s recommendations a second’s thought?
He may well have not been her nomination.

What makes you think May gave the awards committee’s recommendations a second’s thought?

If you put your name to something, you accept the consequences of it IMV.

Bob, if you are suggesting she was neither aware, nor nominated GB, then that does not make sense.

I think you'll find it was personal.

"She was brought up listening to Test matches on the wireless with her father. Her pin-up was – I kid you not – one Geoffrey Boycott. “I have been a Geoff Boycott fan all my life,” she admits, laughing. “It was just that he kind of solidly got on with what he was doing.”

The whole system stinks.

Stephen

The fame and fortune that comes from being a successful sportsperson should be enough reward, I find the whole concept of knighthoods, for someone who is good at hitting a ball with a stick, ridiculous.
I'd far rather we recognise people for altruistic acts.

It's the hypocrisy of it all.

May criticised Cameron—in public no less—for giving precisely the same honours that she has done.

Stephen

meanwhile, the OP's point was also about the history of domestic violence. He says he didn't do it, but also said, when asked about it, that he didn't give a toss, it was a long time ago and, basically no-one cares.
Except ofc we do. IF he did it.

"Asked about the criticism from Women's Aid by presenter Martha Kearney on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Boycott responded: "I don't give a toss about her, love. It was 25 years ago so you can take your political nature and do whatever you want with it."

The 78-year-old, who is part of the BBC's cricket commentary team for the current Ashes series, added: "It's very difficult to prove your innocence in another country, in another language.

"I have to live with it - and I do. I'm clear in my mind, and I think most people in England are, that it's not true."

hmmmm

The R4 Today interview of him by Martha Kearney was something to behold. She began in her very polite way and he sounded like he was expecting the warm salutation and to be asked how it feels to be knighted, then it all turned. I was caught by surprise as much as he was and it became almost unlistenable. There would have been millions of women listening. I’m afraid what he went on to say was even more surprising. You can hear it on various internet clips.

60% of his runs were scored in matches that ended in a draw.

He always was a bore. My nephew, aged 15, bowled him out in the nets at a Herts county practice session, and he retorted 'That is how not to play that shot'

Bloss

Clearly a criminal conviction was not a reason for the Houours Committee to reject the recommendation in this case.

More generally, I do not agree that professional sportsmen and women should be given Honours anyway.

Clearly a criminal conviction was not a reason for the Houours Committee to reject the recommendation in this case.

More generally, I do not agree that professional sportsmen and women should be given Honours anyway.

The same applies to party donors, senior Civil Servants, professional soldiers, political advisers, actors and anyone else for that matter.

The same applies to party donors, senior Civil Servants, professional soldiers, political advisers, actors and anyone else for that matter.

I agree - my uncle was give an OBE for working for the GPO all his life - or maybe it was for something else, but he wouldn`t talk about it.

The R4 Today interview of him by Martha Kearney was something to behold. She began in her very polite way and he sounded like he was expecting the warm salutation and to be asked how it feels to be knighted, then it all turned.
She should set her bees on him.

advertisement

Back