advertisement

I must be mad but this petrol head itch needed a scratch.

AV8

pfm Member
Most days when I walk to work I glance at a car that I have always liked for what it is, an under the radar petrol head speed machine. Well imagine my surprise when I walked past the other day & spotted a " For Sale " sign in the rear window. A quick knock on the door, a brief chat, a return visit on Saturday morning, got the ball rolling. The beast in question failed the MOT last week, the work is to be carried out this week so 12 months MOT will be then offered up. The seller has a ream of documents that go all the way to the first owners, I saw the bundle but never checked it. It has failed the last 4 MOT tests initially on the usual gremlins & that has all been taken care of to get through the MOT, hopefully no more big bills in the next 12 months at least but you never know.

Surprisingly the insurance cost is only £17 Fully Comp PNCB more per year than my current car, even though the engine is of a higher capacity, the road tax is £90 per year more. The car is 15 years old but in excellent condition, all the toys work, it is what it is, a solid car that if you hear the petrol head underground talk is actually appreciating in value as the model count drops.

All this for an asking price of £1400, it is fully loaded with Xenon headlights, Black Leather Electric Recaros, heated seats, 6 speed Getrag gearbox, climate control, cruise control, factory SatNav, self levelling suspension, headlamp washers, uprated Brembo discs/pads/calipers all round, it has to be worth a chance if only to scratch the itch finally.

I give you, hopefully by this weekend, a 2005 Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 6 speed estate.

Like this :

868415490_;slot=16;filename=eyJmbiI6InNpNm80MXFiNzE0cy1PVE9NT1RPUEwiLCJ3IjpbeyJmbiI6IndnNGducXA2eTFmLU9UT01PVE9QTCIsInMiOiIxNiIsInAiOiIxMCwtMTAiLCJhIjoiMCJ9XX0.4HMa7oPoATIw0BRioUluLmdujdTdxoTyf3Sg--e7DAE_rev001.jpg

The only mod allowed should be to remove the badges. :cool: ;)

Can't go wrong at a bag and 4 ton.

Practical, fast, not attracting attention - looks good to me. I hope you get many years of relatively problem free fun for your £1400.

Nice one!

Leaving it as it is?

Yes, declared the brakes on the insurance quote, £226 fully comp protected, the rest will stay bog standard. I haven't driven it yet due to no MOT, the engine was sweet, apparently cluch, DMF & crank oil seal all been done recently, all the usual fail items seem to have been covered. I'll run it for a year then see what gives next MOT.

One job to do is repaint the Brembo calipers, bright yellow, back to a more subtle colour like black. Oh, plus 4 new tyres to replace the brand new cheap set he has fitted for the MOT, already have a Toyo TR-1 set I bought a while back ready to pop on.

Practical, fast, not attracting attention - looks good to me. I hope you get many years of relatively problem free fun for your £1400.

Thanks, given that it is in great shape anyway I hope for the same.

Very nice indeed. 1400 quid is a pittance for a car like that. Lovely under-the-radar machine as you say, and a good colour.
As they say round here - keep it between the hedges man :)

Nice car! I've always wanted one but the tax on pre-08 registered 3 litre cars here in Ireland is mental. About €1500 p/y I think.

I did once have a 2002 two litre petrol Mondeo estate and while it wasn't quick it handled brilliantly, so I reckon yours will be a right blast.

Have fun.

Cool.

This is Clarkson Hammond And Mays’ favourite car, they did an episode about it... did you catch it??

Reactions: AV8
Nice car! I've always wanted one but the tax on pre-08 registered 3 litre cars here in Ireland is mental. About €1500 p/y I think.

I did once have a 2002 two litre petrol Mondeo estate and while it wasn't quick it handled brilliantly, so I reckon yours will be a right blast.

Have fun.

Post 2006 ST220 cars are £555 road tax per year, thanks to Gordon Brown I do believe, that is why prices for those models have plummeted apparently.

Nice! I'd go for it - if it's freshly MOT'd, everything works and it sounds OK then looks like a very nice car for that money! It'll be a blast!

Most days when I walk to work I glance at a car that I have always liked for what it is, an under the radar petrol head speed machine. Well imagine my surprise when I walked past the other day & spotted a " For Sale " sign in the rear window. A quick knock on the door, a brief chat, a return visit on Saturday morning, got the ball rolling. The beast in question failed the MOT last week, the work is to be carried out this week so 12 months MOT will be then offered up. The seller has a ream of documents that go all the way to the first owners, I saw the bundle but never checked it. It has failed the last 4 MOT tests initially on the usual gremlins & that has all been taken care of to get through the MOT, hopefully no more big bills in the next 12 months at least but you never know.

Surprisingly the insurance cost is only £17 Fully Comp PNCB more per year than my current car, even though the engine is of a higher capacity, the road tax is £90 per year more. The car is 15 years old but in excellent condition, all the toys work, it is what it is, a solid car that if you hear the petrol head underground talk is actually appreciating in value as the model count drops.

All this for an asking price of £1400, it is fully loaded with Xenon headlights, Black Leather Electric Recaros, heated seats, 6 speed Getrag gearbox, climate control, cruise control, factory SatNav, self levelling suspension, headlamp washers, uprated Brembo discs/pads/calipers all round, it has to be worth a chance if only to scratch the itch finally.

I give you, hopefully by this weekend, a 2005 Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 6 speed estate.

Like this :

868415490_;slot=16;filename=eyJmbiI6InNpNm80MXFiNzE0cy1PVE9NT1RPUEwiLCJ3IjpbeyJmbiI6IndnNGducXA2eTFmLU9UT01PVE9QTCIsInMiOiIxNiIsInAiOiIxMCwtMTAiLCJhIjoiMCJ9XX0.4HMa7oPoATIw0BRioUluLmdujdTdxoTyf3Sg--e7DAE_rev001.jpg

Agreed, lovely colour, spend hours polishing that,got my better half well trained
Regards Malcolm.

advertisement

Back