advertisement

The Blue Nile...................

Vinny

pfm Member
I have just put Peace at Last on, for the first time in ………………………………….a very long while...…………….

Jeez they were 'kin magnificent. Mr Paul Buchanan, a genuine musical genius

Never officially disbanded after their fourth album, we can only hope...………………..

Incredible music...…………….

If you do not know the music, I am truly amazed...……………………..

Peace At Last is the one of the four that never made an impression with me. I need to dig it out and have another go. Love the other three.

I have all their albums & the recent solo. I tend to blow hot & cold on them, they can be a little over earnest.

Peace At Last is the one of the four that never made an impression with me. I need to dig it out and have another go. Love the other three.
I'm exactly the same, it was their first album I bought after reading a review in the paper.

Was given a "free" copy of the first album when I bought an LP12. No longer have the LP12 or album but have it on C.D. which still comes about on occasions. Tinseltown being an old favourite. Was never that keen on Hats though.

My favourite band. Their 2008 Somerset House gig remains the best concert I’ve ever been to.

There’s a Blue Nile group on Facebook that has organised a couple of gatherings in Glasgow. As they were within walking distance of where he lives, Paul Buchanan showed up; didn’t play any music, but you can’t have everything. PJ also met those who attended the Blue Nile-themed walking tours.

There are reissues (including vinyl) imminent, whatever that means in Blue Nile terms.

I can see why they are marmite, but I will never, ever tire of their first three albums, although "Hats" and "Walk Across...." get played far more often. "High" gets played even less than "Peace....", just because it is a CD.

"Mid Air", I dismissed at the time of release and a refresher via YouTube today has not made me change opinion.......... SERIOUSLY hard work.

There have been official re-releases of the first two albums, although I am unsure when, and I do not have them, but they supposedly have an extra track each.

Does anyone own the bootleg (presumably there is just one), derived from the 2006 gigs? Listed as consisting of unreleased Blue Nile stuff, rather than in the vein of "Mid Air".

C'mon - if you don't get goosebumps at 3'13" when the backing vocals come in, check your pulse.

Their show at The Dominion Theatre on the Hats tour is in my top five gigs ever. Had I had the money on me, I'd have bought tickets for the late show off a tout as soon as I came out. I've still got a vivid memory of the standing ovation after the opening three songs.

I can see why they are marmite, but I will never, ever tire of their first three albums, although "Hats" and "Walk Across...." get played far more often. "High" gets played even less than "Peace....", just because it is a CD.

"Mid Air", I dismissed at the time of release and a refresher via YouTube today has not made me change opinion.......... SERIOUSLY hard work.

There have been official re-releases of the first two albums, although I am unsure when, and I do not have them, but they supposedly have an extra track each.

Does anyone own the bootleg (presumably there is just one), derived from the 2006 gigs? Listed as consisting of unreleased Blue Nile stuff, rather than in the vein of "Mid Air".
I’ve got the re-issues , they’ve both got half a dozen extra tracks on separate cds.

I've got an old VHS tape somewhere of them doing 2 tracks for Jools Holland promoting Peace At Last.
They did Tinseltown and a great version of Body And Soul....It might be on YouTube somewhere.

Edit: Here's the clip;-

And Tinseltown from the same programme;-

I've seen them a couple of times and they were perfect. IIRC the first gig in Belfast was on their first ever tour and when they'd played everything they'd got we asked if they would play it all again lol.

I have the first two albums on vinyl and also the original CDs.

BTW the original Linn Virgin CD of "Hats" sounds fantastic but it has pre-emphasis. So if you rip the CD it will not sound right unless you process it with something like Sox (to take account of the pre-emphasis)

I also bought the Deluxe 2 CD versions of the first 3 albums. I was not all that impressed with the new versions - the remastering made them sound worse than the original CDs. Also the Deluxe of "Peace At Last" had an audible glitch and Warners had to post a revised version of Disc 1 to those that complained.

I have all the band's CD Singles (some of which are quite rare). I can strongly recommend the two CD Singles issued for "Happiness" (one white and one red). On the white CD single is "Wish Me Well" (one of my all time favourite Blue Nile songs):-

...quite how that track never made Disc 2 of the Deluxe "Peace at Last" set I will never know.

I’ve got a few bootlegs of the 2006 gigs (I went to three of them), which, pedantically, were credited as Paul Buchanan gigs rather than Blue Nile gigs as PJ declined to appear, although he wasn’t a part of the 2007/2008 Blue Nile gigs either.

The new songs debuted in 2006 were “Meanwhile” (perfect in every way), “Runaround Girl” and “Start Again” (a bit works-in-progress). I suspect they’re all on YouTube in some form.

And Tinseltown from the same programme;-

“Tinseltown” is also on the “Later...Mellow” DVD.

The band’s 12” singles are well worth acquiring, both sonically and musically.

another scottish band , same studio & engineer

I’ve got a few bootlegs of the 2006 gigs (I went to three of them), which, pedantically, were credited as Paul Buchanan gigs rather than Blue Nile gigs as PJ declined to appear, although he wasn’t a part of the 2007/2008 Blue Nile gigs either.

The new songs debuted in 2006 were “Meanwhile” (perfect in every way), “Runaround Girl” and “Start Again” (a bit works-in-progress). I suspect they’re all on YouTube in some form.

“Tinseltown” is also on the “Later...Mellow” DVD.

The band’s 12” singles are well worth acquiring, both sonically and musically.
Yes bought the 12"'s plus the double 7" of Stay remix.
Lost all the CD's in a burglary back in 1999 unfortunately.

Just had a look at Discogs and there are way more singles than I thought! I’ve only got the 12” singles of Stay and Downtown Lights.

PS Geeky mastering observation: there are two different original Linn cuts of the Hats LP, I can’t remember the matrix numbers, but one is cut far closer to the label than the other (i.e. has less run-off), and it sounds rather better/punchier to my ears.

All interesting stuff, not least because it is all here in one place.
But, I have only ever bought one single in my entire life - now there is another topic for a separate thread. So, although the extra Blue Nile stuff is attractive, I am never going to put up with the hassle of singles.
Back in the day I always said that the cost of a single was disproportionately high compared to the price of the LP that it would be on, so buy the LP.

The one single that I have bought - Geek Love...……………….

EPs have to be special too, they will be under 1% of the collection here.

I never had much interest in 7” singles, but bought a fair number of 12” as they sound so good and often provide very different mixes. I’ve still got three big tubs of them, though have thinned them out a bit in recent years.

advertisement

Back