advertisement

Any UK fishies used an LP-flattening service?

springer

pfm Member
...and what were the results? My local shop has finally found me a copy of Buckingham Nicks - pristine condition & actually plays pretty well, but has a rather dramatic warp. From crappy storage, I'd say. This is reflected in the price, to be fair, but just wondering if a trip to a vinyl-flattening service might do the trick. Do they work?

Not used one myself - and I have one that needs dewarping too so interested in the replies.

Analogue Seduction's site has a couple of positive reviews https://www.analogueseduction.net/vinyl-lp-flatteners/ORBFLAT.html but I guess you have to factor in shipping on top of the £4.00 basic cost, so could turn out more expensive than seeking out a better copy

Searching comes up with plenty of people putting the record between 2 panes of glass in the oven on a low temperature, eg https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/is-there-any-real-way-to-flatten-vinyl-records.416749/ but not sure I'd want to try that on any prized records

soak in snake oil, then low temperature bake exactly 11 minutes either side of midnight when theres a full moon.

have you tried a putting record on a flat surface and piling on lots of books ? Assuming people still have books, of course./ I might be old fashioned...

This was discussed at length here, within the past 12 months or so.

If you look at the physics of permanently flattening a slab of PVC, you'd not go there for an LP. Ignore commercial claims.

agreed..I've done it by a lot of different methods but once warped, all you can do is move the distortion to another place or shape. IMO, it's not possible to remove any distortion that has altered the structure of the plastic without simply doing damage elsewhere. You can re melt an LP to flat (proved in my own oven) but ut sounds quite interesting afterwards IME. I'd search out a better copy? :)

Yes, tried that with Bruce’s latest. About two tonnes of books, for a whole week. The only difference it made was that I couldn’t play it for a week.

I'd search out a better copy? :)

I have. Wasn’t under pressure to buy; the owner is a friend & looks out stuff for me. Heard it again today and it played beautifully; absolutely minty first press, apart from the warp, but my OCD couldn’t have lived with the roller-coaster action going on there....

I've flattened a few warped lps by placing them between sheets of glass and putting some weight on top. I put the lp between two sheets of newspaper first for some protection. I found it only worked if you warmed up the lp first but obviously care is need as it's easy to overheat it.

advertisement

Back