advertisement

LOUD Speakers for a Quad 520

As a sight aside, I read somewhere that you drove some with a Puresound A10, did that have enough grunt to work well? I have an A10 here that I'm using with some 103/2 and though it sounds extremely nice it kinda runs out of steam at higher volumes and wonder if 104/2 might work better/as well/or worse?

Yes, I used the Puresound A10 with my 104/2s, the KEFs are a very easy load for a valve amp, especially if it has a 4ohm tap being pretty much a resistive load.

It only ran out of steam at high volumes and I moved to a Sony TA-F770ES integrated as it had an excellent built In Phono Stage and oodles of power.

The 104/2 is quite a bit more sensitive than the 103/2 IIRC.

Yes, I used the Puresound A10 with my 104/2s, the KEFs are a very easy load for a valve amp, especially if it has a 4ohm tap being pretty much a resistive load.

It only ran out of steam at high volumes and I moved to a Sony TA-F770ES integrated as it had an excellent built In Phono Stage and oodles of power.

The 104/2 is quite a bit more sensitive than the 103/2 IIRC.
Great info, thanks.

Well, I've ended up with ProAc Studio 125's AND a pair of fully refurbished Kef 104/2's. Both are superb. The ProAcs are also, without doubt, the most gorgeous looking speakers I've ever had in the house.

The refurbished 104/2's that Steve delivered to this invalid this morning, though, are in a different league. Definitely not as handsome, but capable of bass at concert level heft, with no spikes, treble that is very pleasingly rolled off compared to most other conventional speakers I've heard, without a hint of harshness and totally unflappable at SPLs of 100dB at 3m. I suspect they will prove keepers. I might even up the power amp to a 606.

So, are you saying that Steve is not as handsome ?
As for your amp - I seem to remember someone saying that all amps sound the same...?
Good to know that you are happy, and I kind of feel that the bad back thing is an excuse to stay at home listening to something heavy..

I'd also go with the KEF 104/2's. I used a pair of the bigger and better 105/3's for years and loved them... until I partially blew a tweeter, which are pure unobtainium in the 105/3 (104/2 different). Fatal combination of many beers at an afternoon live pub rock gig then getting home to find the neighbours out and thinking "I wonder how close to the dynamics, impact and volume of the live band, still fresh in my mind, my hi fi can actually do?" oops... Should have dragged out a Crown DC300A for that (300WPC into 4R) rather than the approx 90W I was using

IIRC they are 93dB for 2.83V (they are 4R), 300W max power and max SPL of 114dB @1m... which is a lot louder than most hi fi speakers.

So, are you saying that Steve is not as handsome ?
As for your amp - I seem to remember someone saying that all amps sound the same...?
Good to know that you are happy, and I kind of feel that the bad back thing is an excuse to stay at home listening to something heavy..

There's not much difference in the sound of most power amps, but I suspect the power of the Quad 520 is partially responsible for the furniture moving when I put on ZZ Top. :). A NAP 250, LK140 or Exposure IIX would simply not be able to drive them to those levels without cracking up.

The 520 is a pro amp rated at 160w into 4ohms and the 104/2s are rated at 200w max with peak SPL of 112dB. I have already recorded 98dB at 3m (for the pair) with very little distortion. I suspect the 606/707/909 with 220wpc per channel into 4 ohms would probably be unnecessary.

Last edited:
Quad 520f power amp , had one about 10 years and would not part with it !! better than amps costing 10 times the cost , use it with Roksan ROK L2.5 Pre --a match made in heaven

There's not much difference in the sound of most power amps, but I suspect the power of the Quad 520 is partially responsible for the furniture moving when I put on ZZ Top. :). I doubt a NAP 250, LK140 or Exposure IIX would drive them without cracking up.

The 520 is a pro amp rated at 160w into 4ohms and the 104/2s are rated at 200w max with peak SPL of 112dB. I have already recorded 98dB at 3m (for the pair) with very little distortion. I suspect the 606/707/909 with 220wpc per channel into 4 ohms would probably be unnecessary.
Mah man...!
I might have to get to work on my other pair......!

I'd also go with the KEF 104/2's. I used a pair of the bigger and better 105/3's for years and loved them... until I partially blew a tweeter, which are pure unobtainium in the 105/3 (104/2 different). Fatal combination of many beers at an afternoon live pub rock gig then getting home to find the neighbours out and thinking "I wonder how close to the dynamics, impact and volume of the live band, still fresh in my mind, my hi fi can actually do?" oops... Should have dragged out a Crown DC300A for that (300WPC into 4R) rather than the approx 90W I was using

IIRC they are 93dB for 2.83V (they are 4R), 300W max power and max SPL of 114dB @1m... which is a lot louder than most hi fi speakers.

This should give you the concert levels you desire!
2Ullyfq.jpg

The 104/2 are 92dB/2.83v @ 2m (according to KEF), so even more sensitive 95dB/2.83v/1m...

advertisement

Back