advertisement

Songs and Music That Make You Cry

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
Now, I realise that many of the fishes are men, therefore the concept of shedding a tear due to music and/or lyrics might be difficult to comprehend or admit.
I also would like to think that such a grand assumption is a cliche and things have moved on... after all, men being unable to show emotion is soo last century.

Anyhoo, what song or piece of music set the tears tap to full on? Or even a drip?

Do you avoid music that has a specific emotional affect on you? Or savour the moment?

(There are many, many tunes and pieces of music that set me off, Elgar - Concerto in E Minor opus 85 - takes about a minute... )

The Man Who Sold The World, especially this version, (the second song on the short youtube video) his vocals slice me in two. I am confident that whether Bowie were alive instead of dead, I would still be welling up.

Please do not bother crapping on this easy target, it just reveals the bullies and neanderthals.

The Understones Teenage Kicks. John Peel, nuff said. :(

Both sides Now Joni Mitchell.

The Undertones - Teenage Kicks > fascinating. Not obviously a sad song, but the Peel linkage does it. Those tunes that have the same effect are harder for me to identify until I hear them (if that makes sense) - I will hear it differently the next time I play it.

Loads of stuff, far too much to list, even stuff with the thought of lives wasted, like Phil Lynott.

It depends on the company, the (my) alcohol content and much besides.

Surely if music moves anyone, which it surely, surely must to people here, it must be able to move you to all emotions, including what ends-up as tears?

Teenage Kicks - is that tears for the song or Peelie or the Pig, or us, his audience?

The Understones Teenage Kicks. John Peel, nuff said. :(

Both sides Now Joni Mitchell.

Hahaha, holy crap, I didn't recognise the Joni Mitchell song straight away, so asked the wife, who sang it back to me. Jeez, that is up there. Devastating.

Both Sides Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not recognised...……………………………… how many people have done that??????????????????????????

Apologies...……….

Loads of stuff, far too much to list, even stuff with the thought of lives wasted, like Phil Lynott.

Surely if music moves anyone, which it surely, surely must to people here, it must be able to move you to all emotions, including what ends-up as tears?

Teenage Kicks - is that tears for the song or Peelie or the Pig?

There is definitely a distinction between 'sad songs' and applying the lives (and deaths) of the singer/songwriter/musician to the music.
There are double-whammies, like Eva Cassidy 'Over The Rainbow' which can be heartbreaking without knowing the backstory of the singer. (works with Judy Garland, Amy Winehouse, George Michael to name a few)

Both Sides Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not recognised...……………………………… how many people have done that??????????????????????????

Apologies...……….

I admit I am unable to remember basic stuff.
Today I washed some clothes, took them out of the washing machine, put the load in a basket - then forgot for 8 hours that I had done it. Remembered half an hour ago, but couldn't be sure, found the wet washing upstairs in a bedroom. Wife just laughed.

^ Very, very true, songs, context etc..

If anyone being honest does not get this thread they are listening to hifi, NOT music.

Some things hit you all ways - personal and in itself - Crystal Gayle - Brown Eyes, for me on 2-3 levels...……….. I do have brown eyes...……………..

Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel....can make me bawl though not always
Here comes the flood by Peter Gabriel.....nearly always

Moments of Pleasure - Kate Bush
Spiegel im Spiegel - Arvo Part
Kathys song - S&G
For Emily - S&G

Kentucky Avenue - Tom Waits I pretty much can't listen to this without bleating lol.

I sometimes get over involved in music and movies. I was asked to leave the cinema both times I went to see 'Dead Poets Society'....I still have no idea why it has such a profound effect on me.....I still find it tough going though my friend at the time thought it was absolute crap.

Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel....can make me bawl though not always
Here comes the flood by Peter Gabriel.....nearly always

Moments of Pleasure - Kate Bush
Spiegel im Spiegel - Arvo Part
Kathys song - S&G
For Emily - S&G

Kentucky Avenue - Tom Waits I pretty much can't listen to this without bleating lol.

I sometimes get over involved in music and movies. I was asked to leave the cinema both times I went to see 'Dead Poets Society'....I still have no idea why it has such a profound effect on me.....I still find it tough going though my friend at the time thought it was absolute crap.

Those Simon & Garfunkel's rip me up to.

Maybe you were involved to the correct level and the other cinema-goers were mere spectators? It sounds like you got more out of the film than others, that is quite a skill. I would propose that many folks aspire to your level of freedom to fall into the emotions within the art. I would wear it as a badge of honour, not a hair shirt.

Those Simon & Garfunkel's rip me up to.

Maybe you were involved to the correct level

Possibly.

I subscribe to Nick Caves Red Hand files emails though I rarely listen to his music lately. I have found his most recent writings getting under my skin. I was reading one to a matey whilst we were having a break from the heat in Bangkok a few weeks back and I couldn't finish reading through it as I was in bits. Sensitive soul me lol. I've good mates though that take the mick and keep my feet here on the ground ;)

Possibly.

I subscribe to Nick Caves Red Hand files emails though I rarely listen to his music lately. I have found his most recent writings getting under my skin. I was reading one to a matey whilst we were having a break from the heat in Bangkok a few weeks back and I couldn't finish reading through it as I was in bits. Sensitive soul me lol. I've good mates though that take the mick and keep my feet here on the ground ;)

Hahhhaha, maybe we are cut from the same cloth? Twixt me and the missus, I am the sensitive one by a country mile. She agrees.

me tooo i'm a sensitive soul when i'm in bangkok, might be the heat, the faster than the speed of light, life living at night, or just eating hand sized spiders on a stick while drinking a chang tower , well done , and i bet you was ;):D not knocking you mate, as i have a strong love for nick cave and bankok and as such an overwhelming country and music i see it

Emotions are very easily manipulated by musical composition. I have heard composers speak about this often, but it is all WAY beyond me...………….rising thirds and all that, or whatever...………….

I absolutely adore Mariza and everything that she does (fardo and fardo-jazz fusion) , but I speak no Portuguese (or Spanish), but her voice and music is so god-damned chilled, and more morose if your mood takes you...………………..amazing, truly stunning, wonderful music

The Undertones - Teenage Kicks > fascinating. Not obviously a sad song, but the Peel linkage does it. Those tunes that have the same effect are harder for me to identify until I hear them (if that makes sense) - I will hear it differently the next time I play it.

Teenage Kicks - is that tears for the song or Peelie or the Pig, or us, his audience?

Hahaha, holy crap, I didn't recognise the Joni Mitchell song straight away, so asked the wife, who sang it back to me. Jeez, that is up there. Devastating.

I loved the song Teenage Kicks for many years, one of the greats intros of all time but when John Peel died and it was played at his funeral it took on completely different connotations.
Music is my life and John Peel had a big impact on my formative years (I'm struggling to keep it together right now). My friends and myself all now in our mid to late forties were heartbroken when he pasted away. When his his name is mentioned from time to time you can hear our voices break.

However the older I get the song takes on a more direct personal meaning. I'm 48 now and with every year that passes the song hits home that little bit harder.

Being totally honest and for my sins I'd never heard Joni Mitchell Both Sides Now until watching the Rom-Com Love Actually. Sad but true. The scene in the film is devastating and the song just punches you in the gut for good measure.
A few years later the song came on the radio while driving home on a Friday afternoon. Without me realising tears were falling down my face. My thoughts hadn't gone back to the film but the song triggered memories of a past love. Again the song had taken on my own personal experiences.

Yes I'm a big cry bady but as mentioned in a previous post. I listen to music, not Hi-Fi.

advertisement

Back