advertisement

A final CD player?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for all the replies to date.

It’s not possible for me to investigate all the options mentioned - especially when buying used.

Lots of positives on the Isis so I will definitely follow up and listen to that unit, probably as the key benchmark (if not the eventual choice).

Cheers.

I had my final CD player give up it's ghost in 2002 or so. Went computer after that. Never looked back - guaranteed audio quality.

Yes. Good thinking.

Consider it briefly, have a quick listen then get back to playing CDs.

I did recently listen to one of the latest Innuos units. The user interface was v slick however I felt the SQ was noticeably adrift from the Opus. Real shame as I wanted to prefer it given all the other obvious advantages. I can see how others might choose differently but computer audio isn’t for me. I suppose the smart thing to do would be to wait but there’s no fun in that.

Yes. Good thinking.

Consider it briefly, have a quick listen then get back to playing CDs.

Or. Consider it. Go back to Cd. Realise what your missing and delve into computer audio. They all have value. I feel sorry for those that cling to formats terrified that they may have a good enough rival. Live a little.

Or. Consider it. Go back to Cd. Realise what your missing and delve into computer audio. They all have value. I feel sorry for those that cling to formats terrified that they may have a good enough rival. Live a little.

Actually, I f***ed about with computer/file-based audio for over a decade, culminating in owning a Melco server.

I still run a Mac mini/Audirvana with a grand's worth of cables connected to it. It sounds pretty good. But it's very much a secondary source, because it's still not as good as the CD transport I reverted to as the primary source 3 years ago.

But thank you for your sympathy.

Must be. I tried everything else, including customised stripped down OS, external PSU which cost more than the Mac it was powering, etc.

I can get a decent sound out of a computer, and the Melco was pretty good, but while the current set-up is the best Mac-based replay I've had here, to my ears my CD transport sounds better on a fundamental level.

I did recently listen to one of the latest Innuos units. The user interface was v slick however I felt the SQ was noticeably adrift from the Opus. Real shame as I wanted to prefer it given all the other obvious advantages. I can see how others might choose differently but computer audio isn’t for me. I suppose the smart thing to do would be to wait but there’s no fun in that.

Very interested in your findings, I also have an opus 21 and was considering an innuos zen but no honest feedback from converts regarding direct comparisons to high end CD players
What was lacking in the zen's presentation , was it detail, musicality, digital glare that is often talked about?
would love to hear a rega valved isis!!!

Very interested in your findings, I also have an opus 21 and was considering an innuos zen but no honest feedback from converts regarding direct comparisons to high end CD players
What was lacking in the zen's presentation , was it detail, musicality, digital glare that is often talked about?
would love to hear a rega valved isis!!!

Will send a separate PM (just in case any clumsy wording on my part sparks howls of protest!!)

Have used an Resolution Audio Opus 21 on and off for over 15 years. Its been great.
At various times I have attempted to upgrade from it (trying separate transports and DACs) but have always come back to it.
Tempted again to see if I can land something better and have the option to pick up a used Rega Isis SS. Haven't listened to it yet. Expect build quality to be great and like the idea of spare mechs to help longevity.
Which alternatives have members gone to from either the Opus unit or the Isis (at semi sensible prices)? [I don't use SACDs and only used Spotify on mobile devices to check out new music before buying.]

Can vouch for the Rega Isis. Superb piece of kit. :cool:

advertisement

Back