advertisement

pfm Health Club

Yes, exercise is a winner for more than just your body. In addition, it doesn't have to be hard. It's hard to lever yourself out of the chair, we all know that, but it only has to be a 20 minute brisk stroll around the block to be doing you good in every way.

Edit: How about "If I go out 3 nights a week and have a brisk walk for half an hour then on Saturday I can have a pint/Steak and Chips/whatever takes your fancy"?

15st 4lbs and holding. Well over 2st now lost.

Much the same as before, 3 mins on bike, 5 mins on rower. Smaller plates of food, but alas larger/fuller chalices.
Wine was always going to be the main issue for me, but nevertheless the quack is still pleased with all blood tests,
may even come off the BP tabs if progress continues. Tis' a bloody hard fight, but as others say, the benefits far outweigh
the efforts.

Bloss

Yes, exercise is a winner for more than just your body. In addition, it doesn't have to be hard. It's hard to lever yourself out of the chair, we all know that, but it only has to be a 20 minute brisk stroll around the block to be doing you good in every way.

Edit: How about "If I go out 3 nights a week and have a brisk walk for half an hour then on Saturday I can have a pint/Steak and Chips/whatever takes your fancy"?

I think my job does the equivalent of the brisk stroll in an evening, if I were to take up exercise the only type I've ever been keen on is where it has a competitive edge, so things like badminton, squash, tennis, five a side etc I've done in the past, where the point isn't the exercise it's playing the game. Running, walking, cycling etc I find really tough as I just find them tedious beyond belief.

The portion control has been tough but not impossible because I haven't stopped eating meals I like, such as pasta, curries and chinese etc. just less of them. I don't really drink in the week anyway due to the early starts and amount of driving I do, since doing this I've also hardly drank at the weekend either, which is also tough. The only thing I have pretty much completely cut out is bread of all kinds, which has been really hard because I love it.

Long term I'm hoping to find a balance between it all, when I get to a weight I want to keep at I'll experiment with what I can and can't get away with to maintain it. I definitely don't want to rely on exercise as a crutch to get through this because I know for a fact that is an unobtainable reality, exercise outside of work is always going to be sporadic at best for me.

I sympathise. Running can be boring, and doing it after a day's work is tough.

I do calisthenics because it is fun learning new skills- I could never spend time in the gym lifting weights. Also with calisthenics I can do it anywhere there is a floor or a bar - even watching TV. On the diet front I found it interesting to experiment with reducing carbs and increasing protein, but that's a very individual thing.

I guess everyone needs to find the thing to provide motivation and enjoyment.

Sounds fair enough, you have to do what works for you. Some people on here have recommended a breakfast of walnuts and yogurt, that would make me lose weight, it sounds bloody awful. They like it though. Horses for courses.

If I can pluck up the courage I may see of there's either a squash or badminton club or similar at my local leisure centre, I've even considered the local driving range as a bit of exercise and to prevent ceasing up, with the positive side effect of being able to whack the shit out of something.

Ok, today I managed 2 muscle up reps. It has taken me 10 weeks to get from 1 to 2 reps, but I am progressing and that is the main thing. Also doing one leg extended front and back lever negatives, so getting stronger steadily.

I am up to 14 stone 89 kg, still with a 32" wast, niggly back and lots of migrains but I am still goint to the gym as much as I can.

Pete

The exercise is really paying off.

When I went for my first lung function test it did not register a reading. Last year I managed to just register, this year I doubled that reading. This is fairly unusual according to the GP in her experience for someone with mild Bronchiectasus and possibly COPD.

Thank you to Whaleblue for starting this thread, and to all those who have assisted with rowing machines, diet and all associated info.

Bloss

I am James Brown

The exercise is really paying off.

When I went for my first lung function test it did not register a reading. Last year I managed to just register, this year I doubled that reading. This is fairly unusual according to the GP in her experience for someone with mild Bronchiectasus and possibly COPD.

Thank you to Whaleblue for starting this thread, and to all those who have assisted with rowing machines, diet and all associated info.

Bloss

I am James Brown

That’s great!

I have singularly failed to improve my own situation, which without being melodramatic, is becoming quite an issue as I approach 60.

I will re-double my efforts in three weeks, and try to moderate in the meanwhile to avoid making things worse.

That’s great!

I have singularly failed to improve my own situation, which without being melodramatic, is becoming quite an issue as I approach 60.

I will re-double my efforts in three weeks, and try to moderate in the meanwhile to avoid making things worse.

I seem to remember you were moving home, not exactly stress free.

Personally I have always ignored resolutions/deadlines etc. you just get on the case and start, easier for me as retired.

Bloss

Personally I have always ignored resolutions/deadlines etc. you just get on the case and start, easier for me as retired.

Bloss

Yes I did similar, didn't pick a date or timescale I just started. Almost down 3 stone now since June, I haven't really set a goal but 12.5 stone seems reasonable now, and all done with no (extra) exercise!

Bloss

Yes, major changes this year.

I keep saying to myself, “this would be so much easier if I were retired”!

However, if I don’t sort myself out I may not reach retirement, so I’m just thinking through what might work come January.

However, if I don’t sort myself out I may not reach retirement, so I’m just thinking through what might work come January.

Sorry if I am sounding a tad old skool, matt j has mad huge inroads you need to just get stuck in to achieve, not easy and unfortunately it is painful, the rewards far
exceed the effort. this option could be easier than brexit to comply with.

Bloss

I can't offer any meaningful advice other than I was 40 this year and had enough of being fed up with my weight.

In fear of spouting the bloody obvious - it's just a case of finding something that works for you. I won't lie, it's not easy, but once you get into a new routine it gets easier, that was the hardest part- breaking old habits. If you can keep on top of that the rest will come.

For me it was just altering how I ate, I haven't started any exercise regime or joined a gym, I'm just as lazy as I've always been :D

Start with food not exercise, the amount of calories a token amount of exercise burns off is pointless, by all means exercise for the other benefits but don't pin your weight loss hopes on it.

Sustaining the effort is tough, I gained a couple of kilos over the summer, just about lost them now. Three half marathons booked for next year, the training for these is mostly enabling me to enjoy some treats. Going to start a training plan in January in the hope of improving my pace a little. It’s really easy to slip off the pace for a while, but I’ve not been near fast food at lunchtimes, and I’m mostly avoiding sweet stuff. I’m still not drinking during the week except for very special occasions, I do love bread though. I know if I stopped training it would be very hard to keep it off. It’s mostly about finding what works from you. The benefits are to me absolutely amazing. It has been a game changer. I’m happy to help anyone who’s on their journey, if anyone wants to pm me that’s fine. I’m part of an online community where we support each other when we don’t feel like running, and congratulate each other for achieving. I find the support of others really helpful. Don’t be ashamed of sharing your failures as well. One pizza does not a diet break...

I know if I stopped training it would be very hard to keep it off.

Which surely can't be right can it? You can't go your whole life training to run marathons just to keep your weight under control.

I'm glad it works for you though, I couldn't do it.

advertisement

Back