advertisement

A final CD player?

RichardA

pfm Member
Have used an Resolution Audio Opus 21 on and off for over 15 years. Its been great.
At various times I have attempted to upgrade from it (trying separate transports and DACs) but have always come back to it.
Tempted again to see if I can land something better and have the option to pick up a used Rega Isis SS. Haven't listened to it yet. Expect build quality to be great and like the idea of spare mechs to help longevity.
Which alternatives have members gone to from either the Opus unit or the Isis (at semi sensible prices)? [I don't use SACDs and only used Spotify on mobile devices to check out new music before buying.]

I don't really qualify to answer since I haven't come from an RA, but anyway if you want heritage build quality and sound, I'd always look to the best of Japan. In particular, Luxman.
http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=13
I've settled on one of these. Owned it now for 10 years and it remains fautless. Nor have I (yet) to hear a sound I prefer. Quite a bargain given the cost of the models above it :)

Whereas I've not has the Opus, I did go from old Meridian 2 box to their G08, which was excellent. Thence to valved 2 box Lector (Italian), which was in a totally different sonic league (said all the local bake-off and dealer friends). Then bought the 4 box version, which was a step up in refinement rather than a major jump. There I shall remain, and all still say this is the best CDP they've heard.

The Isis has an excellent rep., but if I were going for one, I'd opt for the valved Isis every time. You may think that a valved CDP might be overkill in an all valved 2 x monobloc and pre. plus big ESLs, but it is not. Good as the Opus undoubtedly was and likewise the Meridian (albeit different), I doubt that either could compete with an upmarket valved CDP.

I don't really qualify to answer since I haven't come from an RA, but anyway if you want heritage build quality and sound, I'd always look to the best of Japan. In particular, Luxman.
http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=13
I've settled on one of these. Owned it now for 10 years and it remains fautless. Nor have I (yet) to hear a sound I prefer. Quite a bargain given the cost of the models above it :)

The D05 unit certainly looks v smart. Thanks for the tip. The drawer mechanism is more appealing that the rega top loader - easier to accommodate in a rack and when I experimented with a project top loading transport and Dac a few years ago, it was a faff.

Whereas I've not has the Opus, I did go from old Meridian 2 box to their G08, which was excellent. Thence to valved 2 box Lector (Italian), which was in a totally different sonic league (said all the local bake-off and dealer friends). Then bought the 4 box version, which was a step up in refinement rather than a major jump. There I shall remain, and all still say this is the best CDP they've heard.

The Isis has an excellent rep., but if I were going for one, I'd opt for the valved Isis every time. You may think that a valved CDP might be overkill in an all valved 2 x monobloc and pre. plus big ESLs, but it is not. Good as the Opus undoubtedly was and likewise the Meridian (albeit different), I doubt that either could compete with an upmarket valved CDP.

I will take a look at the Lector units but going to a 4 box would be a step to far - I have tended towards simplifying my kit over the years after getting to a ridiculous position ages ago with a multi box active set up and loads of separate power supply boxes etc. The novelty of having a complex set up wore off very quickly for me.

The Rega Isis Valve would no doubt be fab but they seem to be even rarer. I do like valves - my pre is an EAR 912 - but I hopefully the SS version will give me a big enough lift when I demo it. I will make sure never to try the Valve one just in case!!

Personally I’d split it into a transport and DAC as that way money spent on a really nice DAC won’t then be wasted if the transport dies.

Rega keeps two(?) additional transports for each Isis. Also the Isis has a USB input - which works rather well! I'm currently using a Stack Audio Link with my Isis will really rather good results.

I've been using a Rega ISIS for a few years now. It is a superb player and extremely well built. I use it with a PMC Cor integrated amplifier and recently added Falcon LS3/5a speakers. My advice is if you find a used one at reasonable money grab it.

Last edited:
Wigston is near Leicester. Unless it’s unfeasible for you, my advice would be arrange an audition, take your card reader widget (not cash) and arrange with your bank to make a ‘faster payment’ (i.e. instantaneous) from your phone app. if you decide to buy. You can explore transferable warranty before you go after he’s disclosed the supplying dealer. If any of the process starts to smell, walk.

Last edited:
Price seems almost too good to be true - less than a year old for a player with an RRP of 4k? Am I missing something?

loads of bargains around at the moment , vitus amps half price ,and other stuff . its summer and nothing much sells . as mjw says though , tread carefully as always

Have used an Resolution Audio Opus 21 on and off for over 15 years. Its been great.
At various times I have attempted to upgrade from it (trying separate transports and DACs) but have always come back to it.]

The Opus is indeed a very tough act to follow. For me 'better' has been CEC (twice).

The Mohican looks interesting (and I like the name) but I confess I'd not spend that money on a Chinese-built product, although that's obviously a purely personal perspective.

I note your comment about the impracticalities of top-loaders – but for me the Opus is the exception to the rule – all the other CDPs I've ever really liked have been a top-loading mechanism, invariably with some type of clamping/weight as an integral part of the design.

advertisement

Back