advertisement

Strangest thing you ate

Durian fruit, on a business trip to Malaysia. It was ordered for me and a colleague by our hosts in the expectation that we would not stomach it. I ate all of mine without any difficulty - if you can ignore what your nose is telling you it actually tastes ok - a bit custardy. My colleague was gagging from the first mouthful and had to leave the table. :D

The crunchier parts of a goat that were still left over after 6 of us had been fed the rest of it in a palatable enough Ethiopian camp stew on the previous two nights.
It was at about that stage that I finally admitted to myself that I'm not in the Bear Grylls league, or even close.

Spent a couple of years on Borneo, and I'm up for the unusual - so amongst other things - jellyfish (dried or steamed), all sorts of wierd fish/ seabed-dwelling things that crawl with slimy legs upon a slimy sea... also Sago grubs (taste like potato, texture like yoghurt, don't look them in the eye), crocodile, bits of various snakes, some other things - I even once fed @stevec67 here Belacan, in the form of Udang Sambal, and he was at least ...polite about it.

I dont mind what it is as long as it tastes nice.
I always loved sea food and fish but the most disgusting thing i ever tried was river fish (trout) yuck!

Compared to some of you I'm white bread

Snails
Alligator
Kangaroo
Octopus
Moose
Frog
Squirrel

So pretty middle of the road.

Raised on whelks, tripe, winkles, so didn't think they were strange.

Loved foie gras, suppose that is a bit strange. Black pudding, white pudding, all yum.

Had some palm oil stew in The Gambia, that was bloody horrible and strange.

'Sweetbreads' are probably the strangest thing I have eaten, lightly dusted in flour and flash-fried, fantastically delicious, and a very friable texture. Think egg-white texture meat, such a subtle taste. First thing my mother-in-law gave me for dinner, sweetbreads...!

I do love custard-apples 'Guanabana.'

and which seems quite common in this thread > alligator.

China, China, China....I'll be back there soon I think...oh yummy. At least one can wash it down with some Moutai..
Chicken's feet (very tasty, I took seconds before I knew what it was!), freshwater turtle (complete with chunks of shell (very tasty)), spiky sea cucumber (very tasty), bullfrog (tasty), jellyfish (never got to enjoy that..) etc.

I quite liked Durian.

Jellyfish and fugu fish in Japan, both sashimi and steamed; felt my mouth going a bit numb, but a lot of saké was drank that night (in large tumblers with a piece of grilled salmon fin floating : I expect gt has experienced this).

Tasted various large, grilled bugs and spiders in an African restaurant in my late teens, before abandoning meat, of course.

Persimmon fruit. Except they are supposed to be eaten when totally ripe (unknown to us at the time)
The most bizarre / frightening thing happens - literally instantly your mouth dries out - to the likeness of the sahara after a very hot month.
My throat began to close up, which really made me begin to panic, let alone what had occured moments before.
Never got around to trying it again, even when ripe.

Durian fruit, on a business trip to Malaysia. It was ordered for me and a colleague by our hosts in the expectation that we would not stomach it. I ate all of mine without any difficulty - if you can ignore what your nose is telling you it actually tastes ok - a bit custardy. My colleague was gagging from the first mouthful and had to leave the table. :D

that's not exactly unusual- I love it. On my trips to SE Asia, I always asked my agents or the embassy to get some. If you know where to look you can get it in London. I love it, my wife hates.

Jellyfish and fugu fish in Japan, both sashimi and steamed; felt my mouth going a bit numb, but a lot of saké was drank that night (in large tumblers with a piece of grilled salmon fin floating : I expect gt has experienced this).

not the Salmon thing nor the fugu. Jelly fish didnt taste of anything. Now shrimp sashimi was a wonder to behold

advertisement

Back