advertisement

EBay---customer paid but won't collect item!

manicatel

pfm Member
This is a new one on me.....
At the end of June I sold my amp via eBay. Customer seems to have a very good feedback rep.
It was sold "buyer collects". Despite several emails from me & only a very occasional reply from the buyer, so far he still hasn't collected it!
OK, I've got his payment via PayPal,so the ££ isn't the issue. I've even offered to deliver it to him, but all I ever get is "sorry, been really busy, I will call you to arrange collection". And then nothing.
He's got my mobile number, so surely its fair of me to expect a txt, call or email from him?
I'm wondering if he actually wants to pull out of the deal (after 2 months, am I obliged to refund him at all) or if he's having some building work done & he's using me as a storage facility until the work is done.
I might just say enough is enough, I'm going to leave it in a lay-by near your home on such & such a date. Either communicate with me to collect it before that date or make sure you get to that lay-by in time!
2 months is more than patient from my point of view, isn't it?
Any thoughts here?

You’ve already offered to deliver so if you know the address why not mail him saying you are emigrating to Australia, give a delivery time and date and take it round and leave it on the doorstep if there’s no answer.
Otherwise tell him you can only keep it another 2 weeks and if he doesn’t collect it’s going to a charity shop with no refund.

You’ve already offered to deliver so if you know the address why not mail him saying you are emigrating to Australia, give a delivery time and date and take it round and leave it on the doorstep if there’s no answer.
Otherwise tell him you can only keep it another 2 weeks and if he doesn’t collect it’s going to a charity shop with no refund.
Because ebay will refund the buyer if he does that before the 90 days is up and the buyer complains.

I had this a few years ago for a low value item - a Morris Minor front grill & surround. The buyer paid and then asked me to be patient re collection. I can't remember if he ever conceded that he wouldn't get around to collecting it but it's still hanging up in my shed at least 5 years later :D.

Thanks for the replies here.
I know what town he lives in, but not his exact address.
I don’t know if eBay or PayPal can force me to refund him &/or cancel the sale, or if there’s a time limit on him asking for this. I would much rather the sale went through rather than me having the hassle of selling it again, maybe for a lower price!
All I ever get from him is apologies for being so busy, he will call me in a day or two to arrange collection & then nothing for another couple of weeks until I contact him again!
As it is, I’m away on holiday for a couple of weeks as from next week ( which I’ve told him) so it’s realistically going to be in the next few days or not until the end of sept anyway.
It’s all a bit strange to say the least.

Circumstances change. Something may have happened in his personal life that puts this purchase at the bottom of his pile - he still wants it but too many other things to worry about.

Or he may just be a weirdo.

A quick google suggests It seems to be rife on eBay!

Many apparent solutions are fraught with danger, leaving the seller open to not being able to prove delivery.

Circumstances change. Something may have happened in his personal life that puts this purchase at the bottom of his pile - he still wants it but too many other things to worry about.

Yep, that thought had crossed my mind, ie something has happened with family etc that takes priority. But he’s got my mobile number....surely sometime he could just txt me & say “hi, I’ve got some heavy family stuff going on at the moment, it may be a while until I can collect”. That would be fine, as long as I know. He’s got good eBay feedback scores, he paid quickly, it’s just a bit odd.
Anyway, unless he collects within the next few days it’s gonna be end of sept by the time I get back from holiday anyway.
Just thought I’d ask here in case I’m missing an angle somewhere.

Well it wouldn’t be too much to expect a short explanation in my view even if something personal had occurred- the OP doesn’t appear to have had one.

I wouldn't accept PayPal for a collection Matt. If he comes and collects it and then denies having done so, you are up the creek.

If you accepted a paypal payment I think you have to ship it in order to qualify for the seller protection.

I only ever accept cash or bank transfer for collection sales.

As it is, I’m away on holiday for a couple of weeks as from next week ( which I’ve told him) so it’s realistically going to be in the next few days or not until the end of sept anyway.
It’s all a bit strange to say the least.

Lets not hope the reason he is busy is he is out burgling all day, and now he knows where you live and when you will be away!

Ahh, I did not know about the sellers protection limitations when a buyer collects.
However, looking at the buyers eBay feedback, it’s very good, so I doubt he’s doing this on a regular basis.
Interesting info here though, so thanks for all the input.
I’ll stick it on the back burner until I return from holiday. The house will still be occupied with other family, so no worries about burglary as such.

How is it the same?

Take PayPal - deliver it - buyers denies receipt of it. Just like they might deny having collected it.

So cash only for collection or delivery is the best option. Otherwise you need to have it tracked and signed for by reputable courier in order to received any measure of seller protection.

Take PayPal - deliver it - buyers denies receipt of it. Just like they might deny having collected it.

So cash only for collection or delivery is the best option. Otherwise you need to have it tracked and signed for by reputable courier in order to received any measure of seller protection.

But they can't deny if it was sent via a tracked signed for courier as per seller protection conditions.

advertisement

Back