advertisement

TuneIn and the BBC

Anyone who thinks that what you get in return for your license fee is a poor deal needs to check their sense of perspective. I so rarely watch the other terrestrial channels that I’m taken aback when an advert comes on.

The real question is if BoJo is so dumn that he doesn't know the concession for 75+ was a *Government* scheme that had nothing to do with the BBC until Osbourn 'Austerity' foisted it on them. Despite the regular cuts the Tories made to the BBC income and the added responsibilities they piled onto them. i.e. used the BBC as cover story for *Government* abandoning something that is essentually a matter for the state benefits/welfare system.

Given the wonderland he's promising, maybe Boris can take it back as a 'Brexit Bonus'.

Anyone who thinks that a ‘license fee’, a ‘television’ or ‘terrestrial channels’ should still be part of their lives in 2019 needs to check their sense of perspective.

They'd also need to grasp that those three are very different kinds of issue. :) But I assume most people will by now have twigged that you can watch the BBc without a 'television' or via 'terrestrial channels' (assuming you mean DVB-T/T2). But still need a licence to do so.

It also helps if they can grasp that a big part of the BBCs role is to inform 'society' about varous matters. e.g. that some will learn info from the BBC and bring it up in discussion later on with people who didn't so they can also become informed. Unlike commercial channels the BBC are required to inform and educate as well as entertain. Even for those who don't get the info 1st hand.

Does this mean internet tuners ie Denon pioneer etc will stop functioning Bbc streams on tune in?
Seems like a few licence payers will be peeved and rightly so.
IMHO it is currently unwise to "invest" too much money in equipment relying on bundled services needing licences from multiple parties. Certainly no more than you can afford to write off over a quite short period.

Commercial agreements outside the control of kit manufacturers observably have a habit of changing or not being renewed at all. For example I believe John Lewis refuses to cover the ongoing function of smart apps on a TV under its otherwise excellent guarantees.

I've had to repeatedly write warnings elsewhere about 'closed commercial boxes' that people treat as 'internet radios' or 'smart TVs'. There is *no* guarantee these will go on working indefinitely, and if they cease it isn't the responsibility of the BBC (or commercial broadcasters) to 'fix them'. Nor does having a TV licence mean you can demand they go on working.

Your only 'contract' is with the retailer you bought the box from. They in turn have a contract with the maker. And the maker will have farmed this out to some other 'enabling' organisation. However as time passes, the maker cannae be bothered to pay that 'enabler' to modify things so your closed box continues to work as things change. And once the device is a few years old, you'll just be expected to buy a new one. For obvious reasons, this suits the box makers very nicely.

The shop can't do a thing, and it isn't their job. Particularly if the box is something like a smart TV which can still pick up TV by ye olde broadcast means.

Beware of the dog. :)

IMHO this is when it makes sense to adopt using a computer running developable software. My preference being for 'open source' as when there is a change you tend to find a number of skilled programmers pile in and alter the software to update and get things working again - potentially better than before. Whereas a closed box tends to block anyone trying to fix a problem the box-makers have orphaned.

Just checked again on my pioneer and tune in versions for the bbc stations are back working ,which is welcome.

advertisement

Back