advertisement

A Hornet in the house!

George J

Herefordshire member
Nasty and potentially dangerous insects ... Hornets ...

Living on Bromyard Downs we have a wonderfully full insect population including all sorts of things you do not see in intensively farmed areas or even in towns, but tonight a Hornet flew into my front room.

Being very respectful of these large insects I decided I needed to try to catch the brute in case it decided to investigate me after bed time.

A quick bit of thought and I decided rather than try to squash it or catch it under a glass or something normal like that I wheeled out my 33 year old Henry Hoover. I sucked the brute up quite easily, and got an old 35 mm camera film container to seal the suction hose till the morning, so that I can let it if it is still alive.

I have only seen Hornets twice before. They must be quite rare, so I hope that I have not killed it.

Best wishes from George

The native hornet isn’t actually that aggressive, they’re relatively docile. We’re just conditioned to be bloody terrified of them.

I am allergic to bees or wasps, I am not sure which, but I react very badly in any case. Even a Horse-fly bite the other day brought my hand up like a cricket ball sized lump in a couple of hours even with anti-hysdtamines. I am not going to mess with a hornet - just in case! When it is light in the morning I'll let it go outside not near my house!

........unless they've been trapped all night in the Hoover!
Dear Mike,

I am sorry to say, but I am not going to risk it till it is light in the morning. Perhaps better to leave it in there for a lot longer and then it will be dead rather than aggressive!

I was almost killed by a bee or wasp about fifteen years ago, so I don't fancy dicing with it more than I can help.

Best wishes from George

You wuss!

Wait till you arrive at your gaff to find they are nesting in the chimney and you are sharing the second bedroom with them!

They are far less aggressive than wasps and will leave you alone if you respect them but they have a hell of a kick when angry.

Something is up.

Two more just came in, and this pair were far more active and aggressive. Both hoovered up. Someone must have disturbed them outside, I suppose.

Certainly the excitement ruined the end of Rachmaninov's Second Symphony from the RAH.

As this pair looked nasty I put on my best Norwegian winter coat and bobble hat if the bastards decided on direct attack!

Three in one day is just too much.

I have shut the window, just in case.

Best wishes from George

Dear Mike,

I am sorry to say, but I am not going to risk it till it is light in the morning. Perhaps better to leave it in there for a lot longer and then it will be dead rather than aggressive!

I was almost killed by a bee or wasp about fifteen years ago, so I don't fancy dicing with it more than I can help.

Best wishes from George

Dear George,

Watch out!

These could be recently arrived, non-native, deadly, Asian giant hornets!

Take great care.

Best wishes, MikeMA

Dear Mike,

Not realising that I am allergic to bees or wasps I was stung riding my bike home from work in about 1999. I went to bed on getting home and by morning my lips and mouth had reached a point where it was hard to breath with the swelling. The Doctor was furious with me for not going straight to A&E rather than going to bed feeling dreadful. I am taking no risks with these brutes. They are safely tucked up in the Henry with the sucking tube stopped with the camera film can. I have shut the window, even though it is so warm.

It has quite disrupted the pleasant evening.

Best wishes from George

Dear George,
These could be recently arrived, non-native, deadly, Asian giant hornets!
The Asian hornet is actually smaller than the native hornet. It is more aggressive toward honey bees, hence all the warnings. George, you're not a honey bee, are you?
If you've caught one, check it out on line. If it is an Asian, it needs to be reported.

Not a honey bee, but horse flies and blood suckers think I am fair game. They always seem to land on me if I am in a group.

Not funny when I frequently react badly to bites and stings. I never used to as a child.

Best wishes from George

Your captives are letting off pheromones to signal their distress at being incarcerated in a Henry. More of their mates will rock up to assist in their repatriation. They might be pissed off at being unable to achieve said goal.

If you are too wary to release them in the dark, take Henry outside, remove your bung, and retreat indoors. They may or may not be intelligent enough to find their way out via the hose, but if they have a similar IQ to their wasp cousins, who can't recognise a wide open window, I fear you may have to assist their escape in the morning.

I wonder if this distress pheromone is what brought in the second two. Possible? The windows are all now tight shut. Too warm for that but worthwhile I think. Going to be a too warm night ...

Best wishes from George

I think it is a distinct possibility George, and it would also explain the aggressiveness.

Good luck.

We've just had a bat in our sitting room.
Loads around, but first time in 23 years of living here that one has ventured into the house.
A fishing net and one of TonyL's cardboard record mailers did the trick for removal!

We've just had a bat in our sitting room.
Loads around, but first time in 23 years of living here that one has ventured into the house.
A fishing net and one of TonyL's cardboard record mailers did the trick for removal!
By evicting the bat without a licence, you may have committed a criminal offence! :)

The Asian hornet is actually smaller than the native hornet. It is more aggressive toward honey bees, hence all the warnings. George, you're not a honey bee, are you?
If you've caught one, check it out on line. If it is an Asian, it needs to be reported.
There was this massive one on my French campsite. Possibly two inches long. Looked like a massive wasp. French dude smashed it with his shoe and said asiatique. Pic to follow.....hang on.

advertisement

Back