advertisement

Software for DIY Server/Streamer?

vinyl_paul

pfm Member
After a successful evening on ebay I have a little Intel NUC i5 on the way to me.
I just want to play with some streaming etc along side my existing RPi setup.

On the RPi I run Volumio connected via USB to DACs - sounds fine but I am not hugely keen on the Volumio interface/controls, nor its streaming capabilities.

What other software have people trying on their own DIY devices? Windows/MacOSX/Linux?
I have read about:
- Roon (pricey)
- Moode (RPi based)
- Audirvana (don't know much about. Win or Mac only? Not linux?)

What are people using?
Favourites?

(I will almost certainly be back on ebay for a little Mac Mini as well)

I’m using Roon. Yes it’s expensive but the seamless integration between my own music collection and Tidal makes it worth the money for me.

After a successful evening on ebay I have a little Intel NUC i5 on the way to me.
I just want to play with some streaming etc along side my existing RPi setup.

On the RPi I run Volumio connected via USB to DACs - sounds fine but I am not hugely keen on the Volumio interface/controls, nor its streaming capabilities.

What other software have people trying on their own DIY devices? Windows/MacOSX/Linux?
I have read about:
- Roon (pricey)
- Moode (RPi based)
- Audirvana (don't know much about. Win or Mac only? Not linux?)

What are people using?
Favourites?

(I will almost certainly be back on ebay for a little Mac Mini as well)

J River is an excellent media player - arguably the best if you don’t use Qobuz or Tidal - and they have a Raspberry Pi image which you can install. I don’t know much about it, but their forum is always very helpful.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,62.0.html

There are also remote apps available - J Remote for iPad is great.

You could install Logitech Media Server on your NUC, and use your RPi as a player with the minimal picoreplayer. That will handle your local library, let you stream Spotify/Tidal/etc and also high quality BBC Radio, and customisable via many plugins. There are also several apps you can use on a phone or tablet to control it, or just use the Material Skin plugin via a browser.

I suggest PiCoreplayer as it gives access to LMS and all its goodies. IMO it’s the best of the softwares by quite some way.

+1 for Logitech Media Server. It will run on just about any hardware, offers a huge range of plugins and is supported by a community that has the skills to respond to changes with amazing speed. My setup for my main system is RPi running volumio with the LMS plugin, LMS running on my windows server, controlled by Orange Squeeze on my phone. We then have Squeezebox Touch units in every other room in the house so we can have music wherever we go!
I've tried native Volumio, Moode, and Roon, but nothing offers all the facilities I want. I liked the integrated approach of Roon, but it doesn't support Radio Paradise FLAC streams and multiple alarm clocks, which is an important part of our household routine.

Roon are at work revamping their Internet Radio so keep an eye out.Should be available next couple of weeks or so within their big annual update.

KISS I use Moode on an rPi working with a) a Seagate Central and b) a WD USB disc. No need for anything else. The Roon addicts have different expectations to someone who just wants to hear their music.

Sometimes the desire for improvement can influence our perception (hearing). I tried Volumio but found it visually pretty, appealing to those who like appearances but poor support and development. It didn’t sound much (any) different to Moode.

Bon chance in your seeking

I also use Roon and at this stage don’t see that changing but for someone not interested in Roon daphile is my next choice on nuc

Roon are at work revamping their Internet Radio so keep an eye out.Should be available next couple of weeks or so within their big annual update.
As far as I can determine, the Radio Paradise FLAC streams are a bit different to normal internet radio, as they offer song skipping, and alternative streams, so I can see why Roon can't handle them. I can't see them developing something unique for just one 'Radio' station. The open source and plugin model of LMS allows people to develop plugins rapidly. There is a URL for RP FLAC that works in Roon, and other things, but it was just the main feed, when I tried it, and we use different feeds at different times of day!

As far as I can determine, the Radio Paradise FLAC streams are a bit different to normal internet radio, as they offer song skipping, and alternative streams, so I can see why Roon can't handle them. I can't see them developing something unique for just one 'Radio' station. The open source and plugin model of LMS allows people to develop plugins rapidly. There is a URL for RP FLAC that works in Roon, and other things, but it was just the main feed, when I tried it, and we use different feeds at different times of day!
Along similar lines, has anyone apart from LMS got a BBC iplayer plugin?

Using MoOde here. Only thing I wish it had was a proper internet radio directory like TuneIn. Working on adding CD playback and ripping.

Roon is the most capable and polished option available without also investing in dedicated hardware. This capability comes at a price, but if you would like to try it, PM me with an email address and I will send you a 30 day trial invitation.

Another +1 for Roon here.

Importantly, as you have a NUC (on the way) its worth noting that Roon produce a dedicated version of its software - 'ROCK' - specifically for NUCs. It is amazingly simple to setup and once running is rock solid and maintains itself automatically. This is what I use and control my music either via my phone or laptop.

advertisement

Back