advertisement

macOS Catalina beta

Darth Vader

From the Dark Side
Anyone else tried it?

I can tell you its a pig to get running in a VM but I now have it running in VMs under both Windows 10 and Unbuntu.

There are some new 'goodies' but as an oldie I just don't see the point however my youngest who I guess at 25 is a 'milli' finds it interesting.

CCC doesn't image properly e.g. only the first APFS volume is imaged and I had to replicate the second by hand. I performed an upgrade from High Sierra and the installation created a separate volume (High Sierra - Data) for a lot of stuff carried over that CCC missed. However to its credit it does warn that it hadn't been tested with the version of macOS that I was using.
<Edit> I'm afraid I made a booboo here - must have been tired. I have performed repeated clones and they all work fine it was just that the second volume was renamed by CCC and that led to the confusion.

I haven't benchmarked but it does seem a little faster on booting up.

If you are going to try it make sure that you have a good backup!

Cheers,

DV

Last edited:
I am not paid to beta test other people’s software, so I don’t! I’m actually reluctant to take anything with a zero at the end!

I watched some of the WWDC and I can’t remember anything about the new MacOS. The one that interests me is iPadOS. If it really does include some degree of proper file-handling, remote storage access, the ability to use my USB-converted Model M etc I may be able to use an iPad Pro as my primary machine. I’d like that a lot. At present I use my Air 2 for 95% of stuff, but still need to dig out the MBP for server stuff, accounts, serious typing etc. If I ended up with the MBP just for Logic Pro and proper old-school IT, and an iPad Pro for everything else I’d be very happy.

Me and betas are a thing of the past for very good reasons. I really like CCC so thanks for the heads up - I'll ensure they have updated it before I install Catalina.

I'm still happy with Mojave. Dark mode is much better on the eyes IMO. Same as Tony, I'm hoping iPadOS will save me buying a laptop. The latest iPad Pros are lovely to handle. It also benchmarks higher than my 6 core 2013 Trash Can.

I am running it on seed, its alright, basically like OSX 10.4 give or take a bit here and a bit there. It would be great if they actually innovated in this area, sort the finder out, fix SMB, allow cut and paste for files etc etc. But hey ho.

I still reckon MacOS is on hold whilst Apple figure out how to get Intel CPUs out of their Macs and migrate to in-house Axx chips right across the whole range. My best guess now is iPadOS gets increasingly powerful over the months after release and then MacBooks start appearing with multiple A12 or whatever chips running a slightly more powerful version.

Perhaps but this is unlikley to fly in the desktop space and do apple really want another sku for their laptops? They are just coasting now, not enough young people in it, all old people looking at tasty pensions.

Johnny ive had the right idea.

Perhaps but this is unlikley to fly in the desktop space and do apple really want another sku for their laptops? They are just coasting now, not enough young people in it, all old people looking at tasty pensions.

Apple’s current generation of Arm-related chips are exceptionally powerful, low power consumption and highly scalable. They’d be ideal for laptops and could scale to crazy powerful desktops with large numbers of processors/cores working as clusters etc. Intel is looking rather clunky and old of late, I’d be amazed if Apple didn’t want to move everything in-house/proprietary. It would kill Hackintosh, running MacOS on virtual machines etc stone dead too, which I suspect they’d see as a bonus.

I fully agree Apple coasting in many respects. I’m no fan of Tim Cook’s leadership (he’s just a bean counter, not a visionary), but the iPad Pro and iPhone XS hardware really is stunning. It is capable of so much more than the OS software is currently allowing.

Darth can you point me to a resource on how to install in a virtual I could not get OSX of any varient to work in ESXi

CCC - Carbon Copy Cloner? I'm just a old fart who gets grumpy about what ends up broken, rather than excited if any new features appear.

It is a bit unfair to expect CCC to support an early beta! I’m sure they’ll have it sorted by the time of the public release.

As Apple have removed my Studio Mac from the compatibility list, my response at the moment in 'meh'.

It obviously *can* run it as some beta testers are making it do so. Apple claim there's a 'security flaw' in the Xeon processors. There are 'security flaws' in every processor and always will be.

But they just want us to ditch perfectly fast and serviceable Mac Pros for the impending overpriced one.

Stephen

2012 Mac Pro? That's pretty much a 2010 Mac Pro branded as a server. Unless you've changed the graphics card for a metal compatible one it wouldn't run Mojave natively.

Unless you have a MacPro6.1 (2013) you are stuck at Mojave from 2010 on and as MJS pointed out you need a suitable GPU for Mojave.

Cheers,

DV

Anything would be better than Ubuntu on a Thinkpad running Firefox. If I'd seen that 'Gah, your tab crashed!' message one more time I'd have landed in the stroke ward.

Darth can you point me to a resource on how to install in a virtual I could not get OSX of any varient to work in ESXi

Thinking about this I would suggest that your fastest route would be for me to offer context suitable guidance via pm and no asking about Catalina as that is at the mo a pig. I'd rather send you a working VM.

I have used both VMWare Player and Virtual box and my own preference especially for OS X and macOS is for the former.

I have from Yosemite through to Catalina running in VMs in Windows and Ubuntu but missed Sierra as I forgot to save the install app before it disappeared from the Apple store. A couple of things to bear in mind is that you lose OpenGL and have limited graphics RAM (128MB). I guess this was forced by Apple so as not to make their expensive top range machines redundant.

Having said all that I have just found this info for ESXi :- https://www.nakivo.com/blog/run-mac-os-on-vmware-esxi/

Cheers,

DV

Anything would be better than Ubuntu on a Thinkpad running Firefox. If I'd seen that 'Gah, your tab crashed!' message one more time I'd have landed in the stroke ward.
I run Ubuntu Mint on a T.60 without problems. You can run Chrome you know and it supports more than Firefox.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back