advertisement

Financing a Porsche Macan

I know, and I agree. I would never have got a brand new Targa, but a 4 year old, fully loaded with some crazy optional extras was eminently within budget.
Are Porsche dealers more amenable to haggling over 2nd hand vehicles? I'm seeing May & June registrations with around 1k miles for pretty much the list price of a new car. I can see a 2 year old Macan with 19k miles for 15k under what a new one of equivalent spec would be - bear mind this is the slightly older model too. This wouldn't be too bad if it were closer to the current model, the differences are not huge I suppose though.

The company I use are quoting £31.5k for 8k miles/annum over 4 years for petrol Macan S.
That's one of the better quotes. Where I started with this was PCP, the salesman essentially insisted to spec the car with extras I liked but were's imperative, the argument being the car would have poor residual, which for PCP matters but for leasing doesn't in the context of extras. The car was £64k discounted to £60k. With my "miser" spec there's only £1,615 of extras so with your company that would come to around £32k over 4 years - the car being about . That's indeed more palatable. Hmm, getting there.

Are Porsche dealers more amenable to haggling over 2nd hand vehicles?

not in my experience, but you might ask for a "dealer contribution". I would imagine they might be keen to get the pre-facelift models off their books. Mine was pre-facelift, and the interior is great.

One of the biggest differences I noticed is that the technology in the face lift model is better, a better and bigger screen etc. Mind you, the tech in the pre-facelift model is pretty good. I have gone back a generation again with my MY2015 Targa and that is ok.

I should say, I've never seen a miser spec Porsche, so a lack of options will effect residuals and the ability to sell on easily. In my used Porsche, the options are the difference when I choose to buy.

not in my experience, but you might ask for a "dealer contribution". I would imagine they might be keen to get the pre-facelift models off their books. Mine was pre-facelift, and the interior is great.

One of the biggest differences I noticed is that the technology in the face lift model is better, a better and bigger screen etc. Mind you, the tech in the pre-facelift model is pretty good. I have gone back a generation again with my MY2015 Targa and that is ok.

I should say, I've never seen a miser spec Porsche, so a lack of options will effect residuals and the ability to sell on easily. In my used Porsche, the options are the difference when I choose to buy.
I'd like the latest screen, hence the facelift version. The screen and apps is one area where Porsche lag a little, the old screen does look very small now and it the sort of tech I have in my nearly 5 year old car. Even so I could live with it - maybe. The miser spec won't worry a lease company even though it probably should . My miser spec is:
- Heated front seats
- Black gloss window trim
- PASM
- Reversing camera

I'd prefer to add the moonroof. Then full leather and finally 20 inch wheels (18 are std). This would be a mid-spec car. The dealer says for resale it would also need roof rails, Power steering plus - even with these it's still a mid-spec. This would be 64k, I've seen one with 900 miles, registered in May at a dealer for 75k. Just seems mad..catering for an instant purchase I suppose rather than wait for a build.

Heated front seats
- Black gloss window trim
- PASM
- Reversing camera

I'd highly recommend the 360 degree parking cameras, it is really hard to to see the front parking in tight spots. Power steering plus is good for parking in a tight spot.

I'd have air suspension in favour of the panoramic roof. Although mine had both.

I dont believe the dealer WRT the roof bars.

The screen and apps is one area where Porsche lag a little, the old screen does look very small now

I agree. The person who originally specced mine had the Burmester audio, madness on a 911 Targa. Sounds nice when stationary with the enginee off. I calculated that they must have spent about £25k on options.....

I'd highly recommend the 360 degree parking cameras, it is really hard to to see the front parking in tight spots. Power steering plus is good for parking in a tight spot.

I'd have air suspension in favour of the panoramic roof. Although mine had both.

I dont believe the dealer WRT the roof bars.
I can imagine the front is tricky to judge, don't the sensors help though? My X3 front sensors are fine, maybe I'm prejudiced because I find the BMW 360 overly complex which why I stuck with reversing camera only.

I agree re the roof bars...and I think the looks are better without.

Air vs PASM seems to be a continual conflict...did air do much for the ride or is it all to do with lowering the car on the motorway and loading? I thought PASM with the test drive 21 inch wheels was brilliant in sport mode.

I like the light the roof lets in though it does wreck the rear headroom.

Air vs PASM seems to be a continual conflict...did air do much for the ride or is it all to do with lowering the car on the motorway and loading? I thought PASM with the test drive 21 inch wheels was brilliant in sport mode.

Air seemed to make the ride smoother, which was nice on long journies

I like the light the roof lets in though it does wreck the rear headroom.

I agree and loved the light from the panoramic roof

I can imagine the front is tricky to judge, don't the sensors help though?

I really miss the all round camera. The front sensors are ok, but i find they trigger a bit too soon. IMO the 360 camera was straightforward to use. It switched on automatically when in reverse, and a single button press going forwards

Next is leather. I quite like the combination of leather and alcantara though some of the leather is actually leatherette. It's interesting that some higher spec cars get alacantra as an improvement of leather.

I do like the full leather and in particular the leather of the dash. This is why I need a higher spec 2nd hand or cancelled order car.....

Serious question as my SOH function seems to be faulty.. Is this thread a piss take?
You should view it as a commentary of how a company sells premium products (and upsells optional extras) to their specific market, maintains high residual values and a relatively unique market positioning.

You may be uncomfortable with the levels of finance being discussed, indeed it's those levels which are the fundamental driver here. There's a conflict between what people can pay and what they are prepared to pay - for some paying more than they can afford means debt, for other paying the same amount it may not mean getting into debt but there's always a point where costs become personally unjustifiable even if they are affordable . Most of us pay to drive our cars. A few people will be smart enough to buy appreciating cars, not spend much on maintaining them and sell at a profit. There are choices around a cost / year of what? £2k, £4k, £7k, £10k, £15k, £20k? You chose your price point just as people do with how much they pay for anything - holidays being a good example.

That interest rate looked high in the present environment?

Lovely cars. mine's just coming up for first service. If you don't want to tie up too much cash i'd go preloved.

I keep cars for ages so didn't bother with finance, last purchase was in 1996 so I've had time to save!

Another vote for the Macan forum, helped me out a couple of times.

That interest rate looked high in the present environment?

Lovely cars. mine's just coming up for first service. If you don't want to tie up too much cash i'd go preloved.

I keep cars for ages so didn't bother with finance, last purchase was in 1996 so I've had time to save!

Another vote for the Macan forum, helped me out a couple of times.
The interest rate of 6.9% is high today and that is a big part of the problem.

I could go pre-loved and may do. The residuals are so high that it means that even 4 year old car is expensive. Buying into "the Porsche experience" is expensive however you look at it, even for an Audi platformed car.

Nearly-new offers little to no discount over new so looks pointless.

I could buy new without finance, keep the car for 10 years or more. The main factor in the back of my mind is how quickly the EVs are coming, not in 3 or 4 years but 6 or 8 down the line an IC engined car could be a liability.

A good spec cancelled order for close to the price of a miser spec car is possible, if a broker can find one.

My issue is that I'm trying to balance an expensive emotional purchase with financial prudence and the two don't mix.

I am sure there will be plenty of fuel available for IC cars for longer than 6 or 8 years down the line. Maybe in 20 years it will be getting expensive to buy petrol.

Hybrid cars with engines and as well as batteries are going to be feature for a long while. All those people in flats and terraces will still have no way of charging a fully E vehicle.

It's all crystal ball gazing.. I wasn't think about availability of fuel, more the taxation "environment" for IC cars. In general resales values will dive but if any brand maintains these it'll be this one.

Hybrids with a sensible range (ie not just 15 to 30 miles) will become more common.

The more I think about it...if I'm going to do this, it looks like an outright purchase of a pre-loved car could be best (possibly new), then keep it 7 to 10 years until I move to an EV; by then I'll be in my 70s.

advertisement

Back