advertisement

Talking Heads

My copies are all vinyl and bought soon after they were released, I love them all. I do wish that I could get their videos on DVD, the 'Story telling Giants" would be good to own.
I have the first four or five on CD as remastered works
Kings Lead Hat really are the best ;)

I like the edgy, neurotic stuff of the seminal first four albums.

Fear of music has a fantastic cutting edge electric guitar sound on it.

For all that , the super cute loveliness of "this must be the place (naive melody)", would melt the stoniest of hearts, for me.

Suprised no one has mentioned "my life in the bush of ghosts" here as well. Some nice tunes about exorcisms and the like.

Never got round to listening to that one at the time, but maybe now the time is ripe?

I love the four album trajectory from the sparse and jagged new wave of 77 to the almost Bitches Brew dark funk of Remain In Light. That’s a band really learning and growing! After that they settled down a bit too much to my mind. I just don’t see the same spark in the latest stuff. There are a couple of live videos on YouTube from around the Remain In Light period which are staggeringly good, I wish I’d seen them at that time.

Suprised no one has mentioned "my life in the bush of ghosts" here as well. Some nice tunes about exorcisms and the like.

Never got round to listening to that one at the time, but maybe now the time is ripe?
'Ghosts(with Eno) is a great album, other 'off band' projects such as David Byrne's latin groove Rei Momo and Jerry Harrison's Casual Gods are well worth checking out.

Eno seemed to spark something in Byrne, that was nowhere near as evident on the second phase of albums without him.

I don't think they worked together again apart from "my life". Correct me if im wrong?

Maybe there was a clash of egos, as to who took creative direction.

I think the band were miffed when they didnt get any writing credits either.

Proof that there is far more to Eno than an upset stomach.

Sorry in advance for that cheap shot.

Well, I have bought "Remain in light" Rhyno version. Let me play it a while before I decide if I should buy the other´s records...

Like others I have the first six studio albums plus the two live discs on vinyl, never really liked "True Stories", all bought at the time of release as well as the 12" single of Psycho Killer...

Additionally "Songs from the Catherine Wheel" and David's vocals on Fripp's "God Save the Queen" are essential extras from the early days.

"Naked" as a swan-song was better than some give it credit in my opinion.

They were a stand out band at a time when copy cat punk was beginning to sink under it's own weight of rubbish performances....

speaking in tongues is excellent also. it suffers i think only because RIL is not of this planet it is one of the greatest lps of all time. worth chasing down the 5.1 downmixs done by a Talking Heads fan. Sound quality is really special.

Naked is vey good. True Stories was never meant to be TH record. original soundtrack worth chasing down.

David Byrne did another album with Brian Eno. excellent again! Everything that happens will happen today.
Also Eno had some involvement with American Utopia.

David Byrne grew tired of Talking Heads. i think Tina should have left him bring the band in any direction he wanted to go.

there is a video of the tomtomclub playing in new york and David and Jerry joined them for Psycho killer. check that performance out on youtube it is fairly clear that David had to get out of there. they had lost the plot

Remain In Light is, and has been since release, one of my all time favourites; and the gig I saw on that tour is in my top five gigs ever.
I can vividly remember buying it on release date, getting it home, dropping the stylus on Born Under Punches - mind blown.
There were hints on the last album (I Zimbra) of the direction they'd be going in, which excited me; and Remain In Light fully justified that.

I did get a bootleg of the Eno/ Byrne "Ghosts" which sounded like it came straight off the mixing desk. I must get out "Catherine wheel" and the "Knee Plays" I also remember stumbling across "God save The Queen" which is a delight

I like the edgy, neurotic stuff of the seminal first four albums.

Fear of music has a fantastic cutting edge electric guitar sound on it.

For all that , the super cute loveliness of "this must be the place (naive melody)", would melt the stoniest of hearts, for me.

I got (and still have and play) My Life in the Bush of Ghosts on release back in 1981, it is a great album but nothing like Talking Heads.
Channel 4 used one of the tunes for the theme music for american football back in the eighties. From memory, the album got well known for tape-looped chants.

I’ve no issue with the production of 77, though the CD sounds a bit thin (original vinyl is fine). It captures perfectly the charm and naivety of a new band starting out learning their craft, though it was obvious even then that Byrne had an exceptional rhythmic way of thinking and playing the guitar. As I say upthread I just love the trajectory from 77 to RIL, it is an amazing journey/transition. Hard to think of many bands that achieved similar growth.

advertisement

Back