advertisement

I was never sorted for E’s and Wizz.

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
Too old, too boring or perhaps it just never hit Dublin the way it hit the UK.

I’ve just watched the BBC 4 doc “can you feel it” and am pretty amazed at the whole scene passing a music fan totally by. I knew hardly any of the people featured, never heard of 4 on the floor and never took an ecstasy tab in my life.

The genres really baffle me even after the 3 programs, house, techno, acid house - the taxonomy is a mystery to me.

Any place I can learn some more?

I’d be interested in how Fishies got into (let’s call it) techno and the various changes through the years?

And perhaps a few music recommendations, seminal tracks, favourite tracks, absolute iconic tracks etc.

.sjb

Book a flight to Berlin, take dark clothes and pray you gain entry to Berghain! On a more serious note, Soundcloud may be a good starter for digging around, it has a lot of sets as well which when executed right are a musical journey.

Berlin techno is superb IMO and what I lean towards:

I'd look out for the likes of Âme, Len Faki, Charlotte de Witte, Ben Klock, Seth Troxler (his DJ Kicks set on Spotify is rather good), Cassie, .. Mr G, Barac, Function, Chris Liebing, Scuba (his fabric album is awesome), Pan Pot, DVS1, Zip, Villalobos, Raresh, Mano Le Tough, Røhåd, Tale of Us... I'd travel several hours to see any of these play.

Techno based as I'm not really into House or Acid:

Richie Hawtin (a must try!) albeit a set.
https://soundcloud.com/richiehawtin/richie-hawtin-de9-fragments-7
Etapp Kyle - another set.
https://soundcloud.com/playdifferently/etapp-kyle-printworks-london-2017-12-10-mastered

Some random tracks I personally like:

Classic, still played today.
Same as above.

Nico Jaar, not exactly what you have listed but worth a listen.
https://soundcloud.com/dejan-ilincic/nicolas-jaar-xlr8r-podcast
https://soundcloud.com/bol3kilol3k/nicolas-jaar-mix-tape-66

This is a Boiler room set, by Nico and Dave Harrington on guitar. Much more easy going.

I'll try breakdown "classifications" tomorrow but suspect it might be a task for me. acid is often mixed with techno nowadays.

Favourite labels of mine are Perlon and Melchoir Productions, very different but catchy IMO: I've no idea how they would be classified ...

The only change I can think of right now is that the above was an underground scene, now it's becoming more and more commercial. The latest trend is the Rominimal scene, minimal music from Romania.

RE Whizz and E. I wouldn't know how it has changed. According to my pet dog: Most pills of today assuming legit are typically 240mg which is a scary amount, especially sans tolerance.

240mg is an utterly pointless dose, anything over 180mg is pointless and just asking for kidney shock.

And no one likes swelling up like a balloon....

My introduction was working at Wood Green Sainsburys as a student in 1991 where local pirate station Pulse FM would be played over the shop tannoy system after hours :)

I was never much of a clubber but enjoyed the odd night out at Wang and Rephresh.

I’d be interested in how Fishies got into (let’s call it) techno and the various changes through the years?

I was growing somewhat tired of ‘indie’ (I was in a band) and had always liked electronica such as Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, OMD and was also into minimalism such as Reich, Glass, Reilly etc. As such I was all over techno when it happened, especially the electronica that swiftly followed. I got into the music (listening and playing) a lot before the culture and it wasn’t until 91 or 92 I finally tried an E in a club, which was amazingly good! I often went to G-Love, Voodoo and Cream in Liverpool. I very much enjoyed the club scene at that period and in the late ‘90s ended up friends with a DJ resident at one of the bigger London clubs (Bagleys) so saw things from the inside too. I never went to any of the big illegal warehouse ‘raves’ as I don’t drive and my crowd hadn’t transitioned from alcohol at that point, but I was into it quite early (Liverpool’s G-Love was right at the start of it in the UK, it was the precursor to Cream).

It amazes and disappoints me how little seems to have happened in the past 20+ years, the current house scene seeming remarkably stale and formulaic just burping up stuff that sounds remarkably like I remember from decades ago. The innovation and ‘new’ seems to have gone.

The youth of today scare me. I've witnessed way too many people completely off their tree it's horrible and outright disturbing. Mixing whatever they can get their hands on. coke, ket and pills being a popular mix. I recall the MCAT phase at the Warehouse Project Manchester... they stank like a urinal but it was cheap as chips so bleaching their digestive system wasn't considered an issue. Then those that like to drop into a Ket-Hole is also disturbing to the point it would impact my night in a very negative way.

There's a House thread here in Music.

I’ve just watched the BBC 4 doc “can you feel it” and am pretty amazed at the whole scene passing a music fan totally by. I knew hardly any of the people featured, never heard of 4 on the floor and never took an ecstasy tab in my life.

The genres really baffle me even after the 3 programs, house, techno, acid house - the taxonomy is a mystery to me.

Any place I can learn some more?

And perhaps a few music recommendations, seminal tracks, favourite tracks, absolute iconic tracks etc.

.sjb

I got into a club for the first time when I was 15 - in 1993. This was Raquels, in Basildon - made infamous due to the death of Leah Betts in 1995 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Leah_Betts).

We were under age, so obviously it was very exciting but it opened up a new world which has basically formed the basis of my entire life ever since. I would go every week - taking my £16.80 budget - £6 entry, £1.80 bottle of water and £10 for, let's call it "recreation." The music was basically house and a little bit of breakbeat / hardcore stuff that had a really strong scene in and around SE Essex at the time - I still have some of the rare early hardcore records and they go for an absolute fortune on Discogs (though I would never sell them.)

Here's a couple of absolute favourites. The first samples Duran Duran and the second one is a perfect combination of rave piano's, breakbeats, stabs, vocal samples and with a stupendous bassline.

House wise, they would be playing all of the pop style house (Bucketheads, Livin' Joy etc) with more underground (proto) progressive house.

Carried on doing this for a while, and then when I was at college, this came out: hhttps://www.discogs.com/Sasha-John-Digweed-Renaissance-The-Mix-Collection/release/100874

I was still pretty green, and thought that Sasha and John Digweed were a married couple. :D

If you read the comments on the Discogs page you can get a good idea of how important this release actually was. I still love this album. Sasha and Digweed showcased the absolute best - and actually fairly diverse - house music available at the time and provided a lesson in set programming that still beats most commercially available mix CD's released ever since. It still gives me goosebumps. The piano riffs of Moonchild's "VOAT" and subsequent transition into Sunscreem's "Perfect Motion" is 15 minutes of music that could be argued to sum up what it felt like to be in the middle of an ecstatic dancefloor, sweating, overcome by sound, surrounded by friends and feeling nothing but joy - a level of escapism that could not be replicated any other way.

This album inspired me to become a DJ, and so our exploits stepped up a notch. We started going to London.

First London club I went to was the Leisure Lounge on Chancery Lane. It was a big step up from Raquels. The place was bigger, the sound was bigger and better, and it was even more hedonistic. I was in my element. We started to attend events like Megadog at Brixton Academy - more like a mini festival than a club - some of the artists that would play are detailed here: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/banco-de-gaia.230432/

I found myself getting more and more drawn into the drum loops and sections between the piano riffs, the vocals; getting more hooked into the groove than with the more obvious parts of a song. One jaunt up to London (a gang of us from Basildon would hire a minibus there and back) saw us arrive in Wandsworth, to visit Club UK. A mate knew someone who was DJ'ing and so we got in for nothing. More money for other things. :)

This is where I learned that the drum loops and more percussive stuff was actually called "Techno". It was another life changing moment. We basically didn't go anywhere else. Friday nights were Club UK and Final Frontier. I cannot really describe what it felt like to be in the middle of the dancefloor, hearing the most amazing, futuristic and far out music. It invoked a state of mind and a feeling that you never wanted to end.

Club UK: https://www.originalhouse.org/index.php/livesets2/uk/itemlist/category/97-club-uk-wandsworth

It was ecstatic and couldn't have been any better....

...or so I thought. The first time that I heard Jeff Mills play, some time in 1994 at Club UK took things to a whole new level. He was faster. he was louder. He did things that nobody else could do, and around that time he made most of the other DJ's seem average. He was our go-to DJ - he blew our minds and further escalated the DJ'ing hobby which was becoming a way of life, and not just some hobby borne out of a desire to emulate someone else.

In 1995, he released this: https://www.discogs.com/Jeff-Mills-Live-At-The-Liquid-Room-Tokyo/release/9459

It was, and still is, the best commercial mix CD ever released, bar none (not even Renaissance). It captured Mills, warts and all, doing his thing in a Japanese nigh club complete with bonkers crowd noises. (I was sold my copy of this CD in a record shop in Bristol, by none other than darrell_giant from this parish). It instantly become the blueprint, the go to record for techno. There was nothing like it; raw, loud, funky as hell and a snapshot of a moment in time that I hoped would live on perpetuity. There's a great recent review of it here: https://patternburst.wordpress.com/2019/07/24/the-long-player-jeff-mills-live-at-the-liquid-room/

Jeff Mills is, in my opinion, the greatest DJ to have ever lived. Nobody comes close to his vision, his delivery, nor his ability. Anyone who argues or disagrees probably didn't manage to catch him play during the mid 1990's when was simply untouchable, destroying dancefloors and injecting new levels of excitement into music, DJ'ing and clubbing that took clubs worldwide beyond anywhere they'd been up until he appeared.

At The End, on 12th February 1997, I watched him play from mere feet away. The DJ booth at The End was at dancefloor level, right in the middle of the room. Every clubbing experience I had had up until this point was subsumed by the three hour long epiphany that I had that night. It's one thing to hear the music coming out of the speakers, it's an entirely different thing to see exactly what is being done to make it sound like that, and watching Jeff Mills that night was simply an electrifying, life changing experience. Utterly mindblowing. The notion of playing one record after the other was completely demolished.

Our love for Mills inevitably led to us attending the best Techno party that's ever existed - Lost. It was the ultimate party for the techno enthusiast. Held in obscure locations - my first was in an enormous warehouse at Royal Victoria Docks - with superb sound systems, no decor, subtle lights and mindblowing music. After I started going to Lost, I didn't bother with anything else. There was basically no point. Nothing came close. The atmosphere was electric, and that's down to the fact that the crowd was extremely passionate, and knowledgeable. It was basically me x 1000. The significance of the party is nicely put in this article from several years ago: https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/1298

Mills relationship with Lost is elegantly summed up in this paragraph:
It's clear that for most attendees, Mills represents the heart of Lost more than any other DJ (excepting Bicknell himself), as proved time after time by the deafening crowd noise that announces his arrival, as well as every thunderous drop, mix and cut that emanates from his flickering hands. To this day, countless established DJs and scene veterans still struggle to describe their own rush excitement at seeing Mills turn up to unleash his fury on the Lost crowds of the era, with many lifelong passions and fruitful techno careers sealed forever as a result of his awe-inspiring performances.

He's still going, well into his 50's, the rest still trailing in his wake.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3436

My clubbing experiences have petered out in recent years, mostly due to having kids and moving away from London, but because those seminal years between 1993 and around 2008 will never be surpassed. I was involved with promoting a few parties (Flux being one - we had an Underground Resistance event in early 00's) plus I organised some pretty big events in Czech Republic of all places.

There's very little happening in the techno scene now that hasn't been done before, door policies at places like Berghain are the complete anti ethos of what dance music is all about - which should be inclusion, escapaism, and unity.

I still DJ now - having played a fair bit in the UK and across Europe "back in the day", and try very hard to dig out new music, but there is a lot of soul less, doom laden rubbish that appears to be in vogue but doesn't capture any of the excitement or sensibilities that underpin the origins of Techno. I do my best here: https://soundcloud.com/farfromthesun

I realise I have gone on quite a bit and have written one of the longest forum posts of all time. But perhaps that goes some way to answering your original query? All of these words go a little way towards summing up what it all means, and the memories that will live long, for someone who considers themselves fortunate enough to have experienced some of the things depicted in the BBC series.

Last edited:
farfromthesun about summed it up there! My intro was club uk, firstly with Sven Vath, and then one week I wandered into the room Mills was playing in. That was it, no looking back! Club UK was then a weekly thing, and we tried to get to every Lost. It was a lovely scene, lots of friends, weekend long after parties in a particularly huge rented house in Camberwell, happy memories.

Mills and Andrew Weatherall are playing a 14 hour fest at Invisible Wind Factory in Liverpool later this year. I'm very tempted for old time's sake, although would probably last an hour or two and need to be home with a cup of tea by midnight.

You can probably trace the beginnings of my interest in Electronic music back to Howard Jones, and then Depeche Mode, then it all went goth, then indie/grunge, then started experimenting with early Warp stuff, and then finally my friends convinced me to go out clubbing with them. Game over.

.sjb

I'm surprised, in the early nineties E's came to NI and Kelly's at Portrush changed forever, previously an Indie/punk venue downstairs and a 'farmers meat market upstairs, it was probably the biggest & most popular music genre and definitely the first 'scene' to bring together the youths en mass of two very seperate communities. Previously when drinking at the weekend generally resulted in fighting or some skirmish, once they started taking E's, they were all loved up and hugging each other.

I grew up in Belfast and got raving in the late 90s were the streets were awash with pills and thrills. I loved the dark dance floor were engagement with the music seemed real and not performative. There were no cameras and people weren't too polished. There was a real sense of connection with your fellow raver. I loved it

Right from when I first head Tangerine Dream as a kid in the 70's I thought they'd sound much better with a kick drum lol. Cut forward to the early 90's when I was 30 or so and lived in Belfast.......David Holmes club Sugarsweet was simply legendary for house and then techno. Once you were in it was all systems go. Fond memories and some incandescent DJ's.

Free festivals in the late 80s introduced it to me. Some, subsequently, famous names would roll up with their kit and a car battery and play to mildly disinterested festivalgoers. Then, early nineties, spiral tribe et al started taking over until the space rock/punk bands became the sideline. Lechlade/Castlemorton were the real turning points ISTM. Political (perhaps lifestylist)/ environmental campaigning gave way to weekend hedonism and I lost interest so lost touch. First kid in '94 was the final nail in the coffin.

Sadly I was just too young to be involved proper, so my recollection is mainly the more commercial side of things musically as that is all I had access to, aside from a couple of Carl Cox tapes from a friends brother. I'm a sucker for a piano loop as that's when I was into it all.

And this whole album was on repeat my early teens

i was relatively late to the scene, mid 90's in Liverpool and Manchester. Preferred the smaller night to the superclubs (went to Cream once and was kicked out - don't ask why); Voodoo, Alderaan, Garlands, Tribal Sessions where my favourite nights.

"Everybody in the Place", a new doc on iplayer is an entertaining watch. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000777d
A socio-political analysis of the acid house scene.

..It was ecstatic and couldn't have been any better....

...or so I thought. The first time that I heard Jeff Mills play, some time in 1994 at Club UK took things to a whole new level. He was faster. he was louder. He did things that nobody else could do, and around that time he made most of the other DJ's seem average. He was our go-to DJ - he blew our minds and further escalated the DJ'ing hobby which was becoming a way of life, and not just some hobby borne out of a desire to emulate someone else.

In 1995, he released this: https://www.discogs.com/Jeff-Mills-Live-At-The-Liquid-Room-Tokyo/release/9459

It was, and still is, the best commercial mix CD ever released, bar none (not even Renaissance). It captured Mills, warts and all, doing his thing in a Japanese nigh club complete with bonkers crowd noises. (I was sold my copy of this CD in a record shop in Bristol, by none other than darrell_giant from this parish). It instantly become the blueprint, the go to record for techno. There was nothing like it; raw, loud, funky as hell and a snapshot of a moment in time that I hoped would live on perpetuity. There's a great recent review of it here: https://patternburst.wordpress.com/2019/07/24/the-long-player-jeff-mills-live-at-the-liquid-room/

Jeff Mills is, in my opinion, the greatest DJ to have ever lived. Nobody comes close to his vision, his delivery, nor his ability. Anyone who argues or disagrees probably didn't manage to catch him play during the mid 1990's when was simply untouchable, destroying dancefloors and injecting new levels of excitement into music, DJ'ing and clubbing that took clubs worldwide beyond anywhere they'd been up until he appeared.

He's still going, well into his 50's, the rest still trailing in his wake.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3436

He's playing a 3hr set in Liverpool in October. Handily it's an afternoon slot so us older ravers can still join in!

There's a great section in the the John Peel autobiography where Jeff turned up for a Session with a box of 50 records. John said, "Don't know why you've brought all of them; you've only got half an hour". Jeff played them all.

A large part of my youth wasted in fields across the uk, was raving in Ludlow just this past weekend..

advertisement

Back