advertisement

Talking Heads

No idea.. Not a massive fan, but love "The Name of this band is Talking Heads' live album.

This, and the first four studio LPs, are all the Talking Heads anyone needs. The studio releases after "Remain In Light" are best forgotten. "The Name of This Band..." is a loving document of their best periods, and sounds very good indeed on LP if you get a first pressing.

I can't think why you would be concerned with fashion? If you like the music listen to it and purchase the same music if you want to own it.

David Byrne live these days is well worth the admission fee, superb.

+1 re The name of this band is Talking Heads

@ Yank -- Naked is also quite good, IMO. an underrated record and "Nothing But Flowers" is total gem.

Agree with the first four albums being the best/absolutely essential, though most of it is pretty decent.

Have to agree, first four records + The Name... are essential, but everything they did is worthwhile (True Stories being the weakest). I have all LPs in original UK, US or german vinyl but if I were starting out I'd probably go for the Rhino reissues as apparently they are very very good and can be found for relatively cheap. Fear of Music is, most of the time, my favourite btw.

I have a few of the recent-ish Rhino releases (“Fear Of Music”, “Buildings and Food”, “Remain In Light”) and all bettered random pressings I’d picked up over the years (and I think my “Buildings and Food” was a UK original). The Rhino “Speaking In Tongues” has been positively reviewed over on the Naim forum. Presuming the pressings currently available on Amazon in the £15-£20 range are of the same quality, I’d recommend them.

I do like them, have quite a few of their albums on vinyl but haven't listened to them in ages. Little Creatures is a good album spoilt by ubiquity

I thought Little Creatures dull and lacking in invention...and yes I was at college when Road to Nowhere seemed to get played at every student night...mind my weekends started on a Monday then so possibly my own fault.

Catch the Angelique Kidjo show from the Proms on iPlayer, she does great versions of Remain In Light songs.
I'll put in a word for Naked, especially the first side, though it does sound more like a Byrne solo album.

Talking Heads capture one of the more changing / contrary sides of my listening. I really like Talking Heads and saw them a few times back in the day on the More Songs... and Remain in Light tours and have all of their studio records except Little Creatures. However, it must be well over 5 years since I've played any of them. If I want a Talking Heads fix I put on the Stop Making Sense DVD which might, in reality, be all that I need.

Kevin

While I like most of their albums, I'd have to be a dissenter here. Speaking in Tongues especially and Stop Making Sense are the best for me.

Throw in Remain in Light and I am with you.

Mind you I have all their output and I don't think there is anything without some merit, not many bands you can say that about.

Stop Making Sense is a great recording.

Fear Of Music, Reman In Light, Speaking In Tongues and Naked get the most regular plays here, original vinyl all sounds great.
Not sure about all the releases but my Speaking In Tongues is DMM (direct metal mastering)

advertisement

Back