advertisement

Ice cream makers

richardg

Admonishtrator
I'm tempted but at the same time eyeing the bread maker gathering dust on top of the fridge. It always made the house smell nice, though.

Anyone got into it? Can you get ice cream as nice as your favourites? I'm already imagining mine tasting of milk and full of icicles.

FANTASTIC ice-cream and sorbets that you would never find in any shop.
If you like really creamy ice-cream use Jersey cream mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Chocolate ice-cream made with whatever chocolate you like, the most unimaginably great mint ice-cream to have with it, mango and lime sorbet, ma mouth is just slavering...………..

Buy one with two freezing bowls, if you intend to get one of the simple ones, which is all that any sane person really needs unless they eat litres of ice-cream every week.

My ice cream maker went the same way as the bread maker, the yoghurt maker and the deep fat fryer, to the shelves at the back of the garage. The saucier was useful, and used regularly till the day it died.

My ice cream maker went the same way as the bread maker, the yoghurt maker and the deep fat fryer, to the shelves at the back of the garage. The saucier was useful, and used regularly till the day it died.
What did your efforts taste like before you retired it?

They really are dead simple to use, you just need a couple of good recipe books. The only "hassle" is that the bowl(s) need to be in the freezer for several hours in advance, so making anything cannot be spur of the moment.

Rubbish in, rubbish out though - standard cream is very ordinary in terms of taste, adding Jersey cream makes a world of difference. Never had a failure except when trying double, double cream - that set like concrete (but tasted marvellous).

SWMBO is a great cook and her ice cream is to die for.
Last week it was roasted black sesame ice cream and a rich dark chocolate ice cream.
She uses one of those machines with 2 bowls which she keeps in the freezer all year round.

SWMBO & I have talked about getting the KitchenAid one (coz it fits on the mixer and you can pick up a S/H one for about £40), but like others have wondered whether it’s worth the hassle when Waitrose is five minutes walk away.........

We feel that in order to justify the expense, we’d have to eat an awful lot of ice cream, which as you know is BAD FOR YOU...especially for OLDER PEOPLE (bit like alcohol and chocolate really).

Tempting to say “sod it”, though :D

FANTASTIC ice-cream and sorbets that you would never find in any shop.
If you like really creamy ice-cream use Jersey cream mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Chocolate ice-cream made with whatever chocolate you like, the most unimaginably great mint ice-cream to have with it, mango and lime sorbet, ma mouth is just slavering...………..

Buy one with two freezing bowls, if you intend to get one of the simple ones, which is all that any sane person really needs unless they eat litres of ice-cream every week.
Pure filth!

Got any recipes?

Careful addition of some suitable alcohol makes for an easier serve and a much more grown up result. I wish I could run such a machine - but our freezer would never have enough room for the bowl to start with.

I make ice cream and sorbets with our Vitamix, It takes about two minutes. Its an amazing machine. I can even make hot soup and fondue with it.

Our bread maker still gets used from time to time especially when we have bought strong flour from a local mill.

Cheers,

DV

We (or should I say Mrs T) have been using the attachment for our Kenwood mixer recently to deal with a raspberry glut. The resulting sorbet is very good.

We had a small stick it in the freezer type - it worked well for several years until the container corroded through and we replaced it with a self powered Magimix gelato chef 2200 which I think has now been discontinued. It was quite expensive but works very well and has seen a lot of use.

The secret to wonderful soft ice cream is not to stint on booze.

Friends lent us their Breadmaker (I think they hoped we`d want to keep it) but it only seemed to work well with a commercial breadmix and they work without a Breadmaker so it seemed pointless.

fois Gras ice cream is delicious.

Garlic icecream is great. Tomato sorbet can be a lovely addition to a bloody mary.

I'm hugely impressed - and slightly shamed - by the numbers of people here who buy these machines and find the time to make bread/yogurt/complicated coffee/ ice cream &c. and then eat and drink it all! We've tried it all over the years but soon gave up.

advertisement

Back