advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

I think people who write 'me thinks' are struggling with points.

You obviously realise it's all in your head and have decided to go with it. IMO you have a duty to the as yet less self-aware.

67432496_513211412554799_162596166062571520_o.jpg

Umm... are some of those cables in the background wrapped in silver foil?

Cereal? Between 1985 and 2008, I mucked about with every cable known to man and some that were not. In 2007 I was involved in a properly conducted double blind cable test, comparing 'bell wire' (or for the snidesters, Maplins cheapest), a decent multi stranded ofc, something from Chord, something from Nordost and one other I forget. After the reveal I discovered that my preference was for the OFC multi strand, it was the most neutral in my opinion. I heard some small differences, but I still cannot see that a difference is an improvement, and whatever is said up post, using that difference to tune your system is barking mad, even if only because you will need to hear 20 or so such cables to see which is best, and then the chosen one will only effect small parts of the spectrum and be very source dependant. In any case I decided that the OFC would be fine, and the thousand pound + saving allowed me to go from an Ortofon MC 20 supreme to a Cadenza black. Now there is a difference you can hear. Anyway the answer is no. You knew this already ofc so to appease your rhetoric I'll just say that I remain convinced that expensive cables are foo, will always be foo and only for those who either know they are foo but love to spend money, or maybe because there exist foo deniers, just like climate change deniers? The word PLACEBO escapes them and their ego possibly?
Thanks for the invite to return, but no more please. If I'm not clear by now, it isn't from want of trying.

My LS-50 have been here for more than a month. It performs very good. Big bass full body human voice and high resolution treble. Speed is very fast. No harsh or glare. Better than Inakustik 1603 silver and Lavricables Master I used before.
Sony TA-A1ES int. class A
Sony SS-NA5ES speakers
L.K.S.004 DAC
Few ifi USB filters, player is notebook.

My LS-50 have been here for more than a month. It performs very good. Big bass full body human voice and high resolution treble. Speed is very fast. No harsh or glare. Better than Inakustik 1603 silver and Lavricables Master I used before.
67432496_513211412554799_162596166062571520_o.jpg

You are using LS50 on that Sony amp? If I'm guessing correctly, the cables cost more than the amp? My understanding is the LS25 is a cheaper version of the LS50 and the latter should be a lot costlier.

I had some TQB cables previously, which I believe is Wonfor designed too
They performed quite different to my current Atlas Hyper & WH Phanthom cables

Cereal? Between 1985 and 2008, I mucked about with every cable known to man and some that were not. In 2007 I was involved in a properly conducted double blind cable test, comparing 'bell wire' (or for the snidesters, Maplins cheapest), a decent multi stranded ofc, something from Chord, something from Nordost and one other I forget. .

71jHL2KQbOL._SY355_.jpg

Foo isn't really a word btw. Must be all in your head..the placebo of made up words.

You are using LS50 on that Sony amp? If I'm guessing correctly, the cables cost more than the amp? My understanding is the LS25 is a cheaper version of the LS50 and the latter should be a lot costlier.
Yes you are correct. The Sony amp still more expensive.

Cereal? Between 1985 and 2008, I mucked about with every cable known to man and some that were not. In 2007 I was involved in a properly conducted double blind cable test, comparing 'bell wire' (or for the snidesters, Maplins cheapest), a decent multi stranded ofc, something from Chord, something from Nordost and one other I forget. After the reveal I discovered that my preference was for the OFC multi strand, it was the most neutral in my opinion. I heard some small differences, but I still cannot see that a difference is an improvement, and whatever is said up post, using that difference to tune your system is barking mad, even if only because you will need to hear 20 or so such cables to see which is best, and then the chosen one will only effect small parts of the spectrum and be very source dependant. In any case I decided that the OFC would be fine, and the thousand pound + saving allowed me to go from an Ortofon MC 20 supreme to a Cadenza black. Now there is a difference you can hear. Anyway the answer is no. You knew this already ofc so to appease your rhetoric I'll just say that I remain convinced that expensive cables are foo, will always be foo and only for those who either know they are foo but love to spend money, or maybe because there exist foo deniers, just like climate change deniers? The word PLACEBO escapes them and their ego possibly?
Thanks for the invite to return, but no more please. If I'm not clear by now, it isn't from want of trying.

You're wasting your time, just let them get on with it.

I'd offer anyone, anyone of you who say this is placebo, the chance to come and hear the differences between my three previous AudioQuest, Mogami and Atlas Cables. But you already know how they perform in my system, through the power of your keyboards and sixth sense.

I agree, you or anyone can't tell me what i hear, simply because of the circumstances mentioned above.

The irony is nearly ALL who've actually tried this cable on the 30 Day trail have NOT sent it back. Yet all the naysayers haven't even heard it in any way shape or form .... go figure.!

Am I the only one own LS-50 here? Why no one say anything about it?

And for those wonder what my Sony amp is capable of, here is another owner's opinion.

Giant Killer
I just purchased this little Sony and it is certainly everything I had hoped for and much more. I sold most of my high end audio equipment a few years ago, thought I was done with it but kept my Harbeth Compact 7 ES 3 speakers. The itch came back recently so I started looking around for another amp. I've read a lot about this amp and the simplicity of the design and really liked what I read so I decided to give it a try. I still can't get over the purity and unforced natural detail of the sound. I've owned a Cary solid state and tube amps (120 S MK2) and a Plinius SA 102 and 103 among others and they all sounded great (all a bit different) but so far I believe this little Sony is the best I've owned. Sounds a bit silly comparing it with the above mentioned products but the Sony and Harbeths are a match made in
heaven. The HAP Z1ES will be next on the list to compliment this amp.

https://www.worldwidestereo.com/products/sony-ta-a1es-high-resolution-integrated-2-channel-amplifier

I had to look up both your Sony amplifier and speakers. I note the speakers are really quite inefficient so if you are using your amp within its class A abilities I guess you are listening at relatively low levels. Anyway, we’ve had 39 pages of cables now - tell us how wrapping your wires in tinfoil has improved things?

I had to look up both your Sony amplifier and speakers. I note the speakers are really quite inefficient so if you are using your amp within its class A abilities I guess you are listening at relatively low levels. Anyway, we’ve had 47 pages of cables now - tell us how wrapping your wires in tinfoil has improved things?
Very simple. My friend said he could hear the difference with the foil wrapped the cables and asked me to try. I could not hear any difference and I was too lazy to remove it. That's it.
Btw the cables I wrapped are Cerious Technologies Graphene Matrix. I think graphene is immune to RFI?

I'd offer anyone, anyone of you who say this is placebo, the chance to come and hear the differences between my three previous AudioQuest, Mogami and Atlas Cables. But you already know how they perform in my system, through the power of your keyboards and sixth sense.

I agree, you or anyone can't tell me what i hear, simply because of the circumstances mentioned above.

The irony is nearly ALL who've actually tried this cable on the 30 Day trail have NOT sent it back. Yet all the naysayers haven't even heard it in any way shape or form .... go figure.!

and yet, this same man offers cable advice to another whose system he has never heard, whose room is totally undescribed and which sound is a total mystery...
"Nice kit but i wouldn't be spending LS-50 money on it. A 2.5m pair will set you back £1100...
Putting my neck out here, but for that system i'd imagine AudioQuest would be best suited. Rocket 44 could be perfect".

Oh I'm sure you can explain the irony, just as you certainly understand all the references you link to in the wikepedia above.
Listen, you've bought a good cable. I agree it's fine I'm sure and in fairness, not even close to the crazy prices of Nordost and etc, and the sound suits your system so that's top stuff. But you really should investigate the placebo effect. It's not a personal insult and frankly I'm a bit taken aback that any intelligent adult doesn't realise just how ones own brain can be fooled when one allows oneself to be convinced about something.
a link for you https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-the-placebo-effect-2795466
scroll down to ...in Psychology experiments.
I'd also suggest you give some credence to the suggestion upthread that we, specifically our hearing, adapts to sound over a period of time. What some claim is 'run in' or 'burn in' is just us listening differently.
Whenever I do 'critical listening' I take one, very short, very familiar piece of music...a snatch of Cello from Beethoven's 5th symphony in fact, just 20 seconds long, because I am aware that the human audio memory is that short. In the time it takes to hear it, and then swap (cables for example) and then listen again, I cannot be certain that every nuance (and it is nuances that we must be discussing here) of what I previously heard can be accurately remembered. So this tiny piece is all I can be sure to recall. That's worth trying.
Oh one final final thing. Negative Placebo also must exist. For every action a reaction? So if it's possible to convince ourselves that we hear the changes we want to hear (which it is) then it must, equally, be possible to convince ourselves that we WON'T hear any...which it also is.
Moral. Buy what you like in that knowledge, but never, for the future of HiFi kit and forums, never stop arguing about it all :)

Am I the only one own LS-50 here? Why no one say anything about it?

And for those wonder what my Sony amp is capable of, here is another owner's opinion.

Giant Killer
I just purchased this little Sony and it is certainly everything I had hoped for and much more. I sold most of my high end audio equipment a few years ago, thought I was done with it but kept my Harbeth Compact 7 ES 3 speakers. The itch came back recently so I started looking around for another amp. I've read a lot about this amp and the simplicity of the design and really liked what I read so I decided to give it a try. I still can't get over the purity and unforced natural detail of the sound. I've owned a Cary solid state and tube amps (120 S MK2) and a Plinius SA 102 and 103 among others and they all sounded great (all a bit different) but so far I believe this little Sony is the best I've owned. Sounds a bit silly comparing it with the above mentioned products but the Sony and Harbeths are a match made in
heaven. The HAP Z1ES will be next on the list to compliment this amp.

https://www.worldwidestereo.com/products/sony-ta-a1es-high-resolution-integrated-2-channel-amplifier

No comment on LS-50 but I've owned the top-of-the-line Sony TA-E9000ES pre-power "Made in Japan" amps before and have experience with the Harbeth Compact 7ES3 and Harbeth Super HL5. I've looked at the Sony TA-A1ES integrated which appears to have "Made in Malaysia" stamped at the back.

The Sony amp can be very good. I"ve owned mine close to 10 years. Both Sony and Naim amps were once used to drive a pair of Super HL5 non-Plus speakers and at first they sounded pretty close. After some extended listening sessions, the Sony amps were sold and the 202/200 stayed with the Super HL5s for over 7 years. I've since upgraded both amps and speakers and they still remain Naim and Harbeth.

Coincidentally, I've also used the Plinius SA-100 Mk3 on the Harbeth. It used to be the first amp that was used with the Harbeth nine years back and it wasn't the best combination around. Guess what, I preferred the Sony amps more than the much costlier Plinius amp fronted by an equally fancy Audio Research LS16 preamp. The Harbeth sounded pretty dead with that amp combination.

Apologies for the diversion. Enjoy your LS50s.

I'm 'lucky' enough to have a set of LS-50's between some Chord electronics and ART Deco 15's. For me, they just work really well in my system; my ideal sound is found with these cables. Could throw some fluffy adjectives into the mix, but that's ammo for the cynics.

And maybe i'm a sucker for a back story but i'd rather prop up the designer/engineer. Thanks Colin

advertisement

Back