advertisement

Vandalism and the worth of getting Security Cameras or similar

The ICO.

www.ico.org.uk see also the full text in the link I gave earlier.

If you can get evidence of his claims, so much the better. Spying on neighbours is a police matter. Harassment Act might also be of some help.

When considering types of camera/arrangement note that some cheap 'internet connection' models may be hackable so that third parties can use them to see when you go out!

all IP cameras are hackable if not configured correctly.

That's true. However from what I've heard reported, that comes in two flavours. One being that some cameras are sold as if "configured correctly" but are easy to hack. The other being that users may not know what to do and aren't informed about this risk.

Of course, similar things can be said about 'internet enabled' TVs, etc. The problem being a lack of awareness of this amongst many users, combined with little knowledge of what/how to deal with it "correctly".

Bit the bullet and booked installation of cameras for 10 days time. Hopefully never need to use footage.
Cameras trained on front garden but coincidentally will capture roadside too. Signs provided by supplier.
Despite multiple calls and emails, no joy with organising visit from local police crime prevention. Would have been helpful but realistically police resources are clearly v stretched.

Hopefully this isn't a problem too many people have had experience of but any recommendations based on personal experience would be most welcome.

Last night for the 3rd time in 4 months I had my car window glass smashed. The car was parked on the street in front of my house directly under a street light. There was no obvious attempt to steal it or the contents. To the best of my knowledge there have been no other cars affected in the same period. At the risk of sounding paranoid I am starting to think that this is a malicious and targeted activity. No idea why but then again perhaps the kind of people that do this sort of thing aren't entirely logical or reasonable.

The Mrs isn't best pleased and although living in London means that suffering some amount of random petty crime is inevitable, its a different thing when you think someone might have a grudge.

I have reported the crime via the Met website but with the modest cost for this replacement (circa £200 for this one but getting closer to £600 for all 3 instances), no suspects, no witnesses, no physical injury etc etc I would be shocked if they have the time or resources to do anything. The only reason I have bothered is in case other people have reported something similar nearby (though, as I say, I haven't seen sight of it).

Getting to the point .... I am minded to install a discrete camera(s) on the front of our house. I believe they are much cheaper nowadays. I am not handy enough to attempt an install myself so any recommendations would be great. I don't want to spend a fortune or turn the house into Fort Knox but equally there isn't much point if the cameras aren't good enough to capture decent images (though perhaps the deterrent factor is all I can hope for). Lastly it would be a dream come true if the camera caught the idiot on a 4th attempt but I wonder whether having a camera that is aligned towards the street is not allowed/ethical since it would capture other people going about their lawful lives. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,

Richard
Hope you catch him/her/them. Had two tyres side walls stabbed outside mine. 19inch ocha ! Thankfully this has stopped.

I am sure you will find many uses for the camera , we were away on holiday and i noticed from the camera that the rubbish bins had not been put out. quick reminder to son no 1 who lives there to put them out and he did so. marvellous bit of technology that can be linked to your phone wherever you are in the world.

The police won't be concerned about data protection issues, they won't ask and wouldn't pursue it even if they did. It's the ICO's business and, as their guidance says, the ICO won't be interested if you've made a decent stab at getting the basics right. At the most, you might expect a stern letter urging you to get your shit together. It's de minimis - they have much bigger fish to fry.

The only reason the police might find it relevant, I suspect, would be if there were any grounds to dismiss the footage as evidence because it was 'unlawful' (ie, not data protection compliant). I can't speak to that, perhaps Andrew C! can?
I’m aware of the law surrounding cctv and privacy and I couldn’t help noticing that one of the factors significant to the arrest of a child abductor and murderer here in Scotland was the evidence from home security cameras capturing the perpetrator with the victim walking through a public place beyond the boundary of the homes where the cameras were in use. I’m fairly sure the cops wouldn’t be asking for the footage then coming back to caution them that they had committed an offence.
I want to place on trained in my bike outside the front door but am aware it would capture neighbours walking past.

I’ve never had the police coming round to check my thousands of photos taken in public places, a few of which are for sale with an agency.

Once is random, twice circumstantial, three times a pattern. You've obviously pissed some one off in your area. The only way it will stop is either through their boredom, or if you confront them, which may end up you getting stabbed. Tough call. Police won't help for this type of crime in London, its hard enough having them attend a full on burlgary.

What area of London do you live?

Putting CCTV cameras on your property pointing at your car, while is completely impractical in London as its rare you'll get the same parking spot twice, will also probably just antagonise the offender even more. Pointing at your garden is definitely safer.

Get your alarm wired into your horn, simple job to do (although keep a boost pack indoors as it can drain the battery quicker than just an alarm siren), you may get chance to wake up next time it happens.

Think back - has there recently been any confrontation with anyone locally? A lot of the time these scallies are so pathetic and full of anger, it could be as something as simple as beeping your horn at someone over something you would discount as literally nothing.

I’m aware of the law surrounding cctv and privacy and I couldn’t help noticing that one of the factors significant to the arrest of a child abductor and murderer here in Scotland was the evidence from home security cameras capturing the perpetrator with the victim walking through a public place beyond the boundary of the homes where the cameras were in use. I’m fairly sure the cops wouldn’t be asking for the footage then coming back to caution them that they had committed an offence.
I want to place on trained in my bike outside the front door but am aware it would capture neighbours walking past.

I've answered this specific matter before on here. Its about the probative value of the evidence in any prosecution being measured against how it was obtained - and its for a court to decide.

I’ve never had the police coming round to check my thousands of photos taken in public places, a few of which are for sale with an agency.
Tony, it’s the selfies. That’s a prima facia breach of the peace right there. I mean I’ve seen stuff but...

This is legal in the UK. Of course you will have a model release for anyone that is identifiable if you are using the images commercially.

advertisement

Back