advertisement

Trip Hop - Unkle, Tricky, Portishead, Allflaws

smike

pfm Member
Hey, I am interested in collecting various trip hop music from all over the globe. Currently Ive been checking out the likes of
Portishead, Unkle, Tricky, Amon Tobin, Allflaws.
Please post any song, video and link suggestions. I will post some too ;)

Here is a good start

Amon Tobin can be touch drum & bass in parts, love the early stuff.

Have a look through Ninja Tunes label, plenty to explore.

Unkle are trip-hop? I know they do a lot of dubbing and mixing, but War Stories has been one of my favourite Rock albums for many years, never heard anything in it to put them in same classification as some of the other bands mentioned here. Is there a definition of Trip-Hop? It's all just labels though.

Some of my very favourite albums are you Massive Attack & Portishead, would Morcheeba be considered Trip hop or ???
I'd be interested in any other Trip hop

There's only one place to start really https://www.discogs.com/label/111-Mo-Wax - start with Headz 1 & 2 and Entroducing by DJ Shadow; lot's of great stuff here.

Yeah, there's a lot of smoky hip hop and techno stuff on Mo Wax, like Kool Keith/Dr Octagon, DJ Krush and Kirk Degiorgio/As One that would appeal to those looking for a bit of trip-hop, without strictly being trip-hop.

Mark's keyboard repair is a totally fabulous record - one of my favourite LPs of the 90's. I love it's musical sketchbook quality and killer grooves - I was disappointed that he appeared to transform into a second rate Elvis Costello on his subsequent records.

Agreed, we played my flatmates copy to death.

advertisement

Back