advertisement

Vandalism and the worth of getting Security Cameras or similar

RichardA

pfm Member
Hopefully this isn't a problem too many people have had experience of but any recommendations based on personal experience would be most welcome.

Last night for the 3rd time in 4 months I had my car window glass smashed. The car was parked on the street in front of my house directly under a street light. There was no obvious attempt to steal it or the contents. To the best of my knowledge there have been no other cars affected in the same period. At the risk of sounding paranoid I am starting to think that this is a malicious and targeted activity. No idea why but then again perhaps the kind of people that do this sort of thing aren't entirely logical or reasonable.

The Mrs isn't best pleased and although living in London means that suffering some amount of random petty crime is inevitable, its a different thing when you think someone might have a grudge.

I have reported the crime via the Met website but with the modest cost for this replacement (circa £200 for this one but getting closer to £600 for all 3 instances), no suspects, no witnesses, no physical injury etc etc I would be shocked if they have the time or resources to do anything. The only reason I have bothered is in case other people have reported something similar nearby (though, as I say, I haven't seen sight of it).

Getting to the point .... I am minded to install a discrete camera(s) on the front of our house. I believe they are much cheaper nowadays. I am not handy enough to attempt an install myself so any recommendations would be great. I don't want to spend a fortune or turn the house into Fort Knox but equally there isn't much point if the cameras aren't good enough to capture decent images (though perhaps the deterrent factor is all I can hope for). Lastly it would be a dream come true if the camera caught the idiot on a 4th attempt but I wonder whether having a camera that is aligned towards the street is not allowed/ethical since it would capture other people going about their lawful lives. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,

Richard

Not sure how useful / sensitive they are but I believe you can get car camera systems with lenses pointing in all directions that of course are normally used when you are driving. But many have a parking setting and start recording when the car is disturbed. You might be more likely to get the face this way. If smashing a window is enough of a knock to activate it.

Do Met' police stations still offer a FoC crime prevention survey for homes in their catchment area?
Have you seen this: https://www.met.police.uk/cp/crime-prevention/vandalism/

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.
Wasn't aware of the security film idea. Will investigate cost etc. I imagine it doesn't give full protection but at least it might minimise the mess in the car afterwards.
Will look up the crime prevention survey point too.

I would say no its not worth it
I had a £8K 15 camera HD system fitted at a Club I was the Commodore of , we already had a non HD 8 camera system , Several thefts later the police say , Not enough detail for a conviction, All you need to do is put on a balaclava and a decent pair of gloves and you wont get cought !!
We also had all the lighting upgraded , its like a night match a Wembly now and costing a fortune in electricity

Not sure how useful / sensitive they are but I believe you can get car camera systems with lenses pointing in all directions that of course are normally used when you are driving. But many have a parking setting and start recording when the car is disturbed. You might be more likely to get the face this way. If smashing a window is enough of a knock to activate it.

Had wondered about that but it occurred to me that the idiot might steal it (though I guess the camera and recording unit are separate). Will ask local garage. Thanks.

I would say no its not worth it
I had a £8K 15 camera HD system fitted at a Club I was the Commodore of , we already had a non HD 8 camera system , Several thefts later the police say , Not enough detail for a conviction, All you need to do is put on a balaclava and a decent pair of gloves and you wont get cought !!
We also had all the lighting upgraded , its like a night match a Wembly now and costing a fortune in electricity

I am sure that is correct for thieves or other professional criminals but I am more likely dealing with an idiot kid or disgruntled neighbour (god knows why) and therefore I hope they are less likely to take care over a disguise. That said, you are quite right to highlight it might not work so I will definitely want to avoid spending big money, if possible.

Get a sensor light fitted and flood the car with light when the excrements come close?

Many years ago (about 1980) I had a friend with a desirable car that always attracting attention. He had a voice system fitted - if you touched the car a VERY loud voice warned you off in good old Anglo-Saxon.

Some councils discovered that playing some classical music in problem bus shelters was enough to put yoofs from hanging around.

But seriously - a camera might help you identify someone local that you know, but in general the night time footage is useless. More than likely it is just a yob or two with a kebab in one hand is staggering homeward bound. I would suggest do not get paranoid that someone is carrying some sort of grudge - most yobs cannot think that far. A thinking grudge carrier is much more likely to scratch paintwork or slash tyres than risk a noise by smashing a window.

You can't break a car glass by accident. I had to do it a few years ago when I locked the keys in the car. A chunk of Yorkshire Gritstone *will* go through a glass but wow, you have to give it some welly. It's not some drunken yob with a kebab, it's someone that means it with a hard object. A drunken yob will kick off a mirror before they will break any glass.

A camera operated by a private individual recording images of a public street is not admissible in court unless it is officially authorised, AIUI.

Get a sensor light fitted and flood the car with light when the excrements come close?

Many years ago (about 1980) I had a friend with a desirable car that always attracting attention. He had a voice system fitted - if you touched the car a VERY loud voice warned you off in good old Anglo-Saxon.

Some councils discovered that playing some classical music in problem bus shelters was enough to put yoofs from hanging around.

But seriously - a camera might help you identify someone local that you know, but in general the night time footage is useless. More than likely it is just a yob or two with a kebab in one hand is staggering homeward bound. I would suggest do not get paranoid that someone is carrying some sort of grudge - most yobs cannot think that far. A thinking grudge carrier is much more likely to scratch paintwork or slash tyres than risk a noise by smashing a window.

The car is parked on the road where I live but not always in the same place. I am not aware that I can get an after market sensor within the car that tracks external movements and triggers an internal light. Is that what you are referring to?

You can't break a car glass by accident. I had to do it a few years ago when I locked the keys in the car. A chunk of Yorkshire Gritstone *will* go through a glass but wow, you have to give it some welly. It's not some drunken yob with a kebab, it's someone that means it with a hard object. A drunken yob will kick off a mirror before they will break any glass.

A camera operated by a private individual recording images of a public street is not admissible in court unless it is officially authorised, AIUI.

Your comment about admissibility is the kind of thing I imagined might exist. That said going to Court might be unnecessary. A visit from Plod might be sufficient.

"Gerroff me car, ya bastard...else As' break yer legs!"
[/Phoenix Nights]

ou might be more likely to get the face this way
if the scrote doesnt steal the camera

though I guess the camera and recording unit are separate
some are some arnt - depends on your budget

Yes nice big spot light on the house, that illuminates the car nicely and a cheapo external movement cam (bushnell wildlife cam) bolted to the house wall.

ou can't break a car glass by accident. I had to do it a few years ago when I locked the keys in the car. A chunk of Yorkshire Gritstone *will* go through a glass but wow, you have to give it some welly

With a car window hammer, it is quite straightforward no effort at all - just go to a pound shop or halfords for a nice one

With a car window hammer, it is quite straightforward no effort at all - just go to a pound shop or halfords for a nice one
Likewise am automatic centre punch, but carry either of those down the road without good reason and you are "going equipped". yer standard drunken yoof (a) doesn't have one and (b) doesn't want to get done for going equipped.

yer standard drunken yoof (a) doesn't have one and (b) doesn't want to get done for going equipped.

Is this really a drunken yoof thing? strikes me as not. It appears to a regular occurrence - almost targeted, vindictive in some way. What are the odds of getting caught going equipped?

Hi,
I would install a discrete camera inside your property covering the car, so as not to alert the people. Someone in another thread mentioned Blue Iris software that runs on a PC - but not sure if you need a powerful one. The software, spare PC, and camera may be the cheapest option. Seems a shame to put up cameras outside your house, alerting the person, and for you to never know who it is and whether they have a problem with yourself.

Regards,
Shadders.

Is this really a drunken yoof thing? strikes me as not. It appears to a regular occurrence - almost targeted, vindictive in some way. What are the odds of getting caught going equipped?
Why would you bother carrying when you can take a key or a stone down the side of his car anytime you like?

Have decided to get a quote for proper external cameras and a hard disk recorder - wired (wireless will be cheaper but perhaps less reliable).
External movement sensors aren't practical for me given that I live on a residential street in North London. I don't want to trigger a light every time someone walks down the street (which would be likely to really piss off the neighbours).
Will also investigate devices for the car.
Thanks to all for comments so far.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/

Some key messages:
If your CCTV captures images beyond your property boundary, such as your neighbours’ property or public streets and footpaths, then your use of the system is subject to the data protection laws.

This does not mean you are breaking the law. But it does mean that, as the CCTV user, you are a data controller. So you will need to comply with your legal obligations under the data protection laws.

You can still capture images, but you need to show you are doing it in ways that comply with the data protection laws and uphold the rights of the people whose images you are capturing.
If you are capturing images beyond your property boundary, you should have a clear and justifiable reason for doing so. In particular, you will need to think why you need these images. If asked by an individual or the ICO, you will need to be able to explain your reasons, so you should write them down now. You should also write down why you think capturing the images is more important than invading the privacy of your neighbours and passers-by.

You will also need to:

• Let people know you are using CCTV by putting up signs saying that recording is taking place, and why.
  • Ensure you don’t capture more footage than you need to achieve your purpose in using the system.
  • Ensure the security of the footage you capture – in other words, holding it securely and making sure nobody can watch it without good reason.
  • Only keep the footage for as long as you need it – delete it regularly, and when it is no longer needed.
  • Ensure the CCTV system is only operated in ways you intend and can’t be misused for other reasons. Anyone you share your property with, such as family members who could use the equipment, needs to know the importance of not misusing it.
If you follow our guidance and take all reasonable steps to comply with your data protection obligations, the ICO is unlikely to regard you as a regulatory risk. So the ICO would be unlikely to think that taking enforcement action against you was a proportionate use of its resources.

You don’t need to register with the ICO or pay a fee (this is a change from the previous law). However, you must maintain records of how and why you are capturing these images, and for how long you are keeping them. You may need to make these records available to the ICO on request.

advertisement

Back