advertisement

How Long Before A Vote Of No Confidence In Johnson Government?

How long before a vote of no confidence in Johnson's Government?

• Within a week.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Within a month

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Before October 31st

Votes: 60 43.5%
  • After a no deal Brexit

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 41 29.7%
  • After failing to deliver Brexit on October 31st

Votes: 21 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A successful VoNC? Also remember Parliament goes into recess soon.
Sorry yes, I should have said a successful VoNC.

I'd forgot about the recess.

Surely there are some in his party that won't be able to stand by and let this simpleton **** the country?

I'm inclined to agree. It has to happen quickly, due mostly to the Parliamentary calendar. A VoNC in October, if successful, risks a no-deal crash-out for lack of time or means to prevent it while Parliament is otherwise engaged.

I don't personally like him, but either way, the numbers just don't add up. The house won't support a no deal Brexit and he just doesn't have enough backing unless he can pull off a miraculous deal at the last minute, which seems unlikely, given the EU's stance at the moment. So, with any luck, his premiership might be very short - bring it on!

Give him a break, he has been in power for 18 hours and hasn’t cocked up yet.

He's already seen the back of Chris Grayling, so on that basis it's an encouraging start....though Grant Shapps as transport secretary? I don't know...

I'm inclined to agree. It has to happen quickly, due mostly to the Parliamentary calendar. A VoNC in October, if successful, risks a no-deal crash-out for lack of time or means to prevent it while Parliament is otherwise engaged.

Seems unlikely though.

It won't happen soon in my opinion, politicians are generally spineless self servers so unless they think they can get some genuine benefit from it they won't call it.With the opposition in disarray and the spectre of Farage and co. looming large it could well be out of the frying pan and into the fire. I think if it happens it'll be because he failed to get a new deal and wasn't able to crash us out without a deal so an extension is granted (again) by the EU.... so after Oct 31 is my vote, but even then it's a big if still. Remember these are politicians we are dealing with, a bigger bunch of self centred people you are unlikely to meet unless you go to a bankers' dinner!

Reactions: jay
The Tories won't go for it. They're switching their attention to blocking no deal in September. Propping up BJ by calling a failed VoNC would be a catastrophic blunder
If you haven't got sore tories - post cabinet appointments - to work with now, when will you have?

I really can't be sure when, but it's a certainty that at some point his fanciful promises and magical thinking will be seen through, and Parliament will kick him firmly in the pants.

I think there will be some Tory MPs willing either to vote for a no confidence motion or at the very least abstain (or, as it were, make themselves scarce at the appropriate time). MPs who have already declared they are standing down at the next election, for instance, like Ken Clarke, not to mention the likes of ex-Cabinet ministers such as Gauke and Hammond who now know their political careers are all but over.

Labour will call a VONC after the 31st if we don't get out. Its the threat of a no deal that gives Boris a stick to beat the EU with. I hope they cave in and give us what we want. As Trump has said you have to be prepared to walk away.
The problem for this country is that the remain/leave divide is right across party lines. A labour government would do no better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back