advertisement

eBay money back guarantee problem

Nigel

pfm Member
Some weeks ago I bought an Audio Innovations Series 500 amplifier for £750 on ebay. It was being sold by a one man operation promising, "First class HiFi Upgrades, Products and Components providing the finest sound quality you've ever heard."

Anyway, the amp never arrived, a few feeble excuses about not having the correct packaging, even turning down my offer to go and collect it, a four hour drive, as he was busy on that day, raised my suspicions. When I delved deeper and read some reviews of the guy's business, my heart just sank. I realised this was going to be very problematic. I appreciate I should have carried out more research before buying, complete fool that I am.

Via eBay I asked for a refund, which he agreed and my PayPal account showed an echeque payment pending, please allow seven days to clear. The payment failed on the last day. I contacted eBay to step in as the purchase had been covered by their money back guarantee. They immediately awarded in my favour and said I would receive a refund within 48hrs. This refund never came. Three weeks later and I still haven't managed to get my money back. I have spoken with three different eBay assistants, each time they have sent emails saying I would receive a refund within a period of time. The latest one, promising a refund within five business days, expired last night.

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Did you pay by credit card?
If so Section 75 has you covered.
Claim off the CC company.

Otherwise county court is the way to go.

I’ve not had much problem with money back from eBay on smaller purchases. The evidence was clear that no attempt was made to send the item.

Sadly, your offer to collect may have muddied the waters. Keep at them though. That’s a lot of money to lose. I wish you the best of luck with it.

try paypal claim

From eBay -

"Buyers can't use more than one resolution method to get a refund. After selecting a resolution process (eBay Money Back Guarantee, PayPal Buyer Protection, or requesting a chargeback from their payment provider) a buyer is required to use that process for the duration of the case.

If a buyer files a chargeback or a PayPal Buyer Protection dispute, any cases opened through eBay Money Back Guarantee for the same transaction are immediately closed."

Sadly, I suspect Bob McC is right. I'll update the thread with hopefully a happy ending, probably in about 12 months time.

I thought I would try for the fourth time just in case.....

"I can see that seller tried to refund and that failed and then we also refunded and that failed too due to technical issue. I am sorry for this. I am now escalating this with very high priority and I assure this will be resolved with refund to you in 48 hours"

Won't hold my breath. I was thinking of getting in touch with my home insurance provider, I'm sure they offer some legal cover as part of the policy.

I'm getting a vision of the future.

It's Nigel on the phone or email chat to ebay in November 2021 asking for his refund for the 83rd time.
Ebay say they've escalated the matter to the EU, The UN, the G20, the G7, Trump, Johnson, shaking Merkel and GOD!
But, due to technical difficulties the refund has been delayed by 48 years, I mean hours sorry, 48 hours, but don't forget there are NO fees on selling for this week only.
Have a lovely day Sir. Cos we will be, with your £750.

Can you ask for any conversation to be sent to you as text for recorded evidence ?

When I go on Amazon chat for instance I always request a text version & they send it.

I think you've been unlucky as there is nothing in the feedback section that would be cause for any alarm - sadly google tells a very different story.
I hope it all works out for you.

Cheers to you all. Yes, luckily eBay support send an email explaining their course of action. I have four now, all promising a soon to be forthcoming refund.

Webster, spot on. Exactly what happened.

From eBay -

"Buyers can't use more than one resolution method to get a refund. After selecting a resolution process (eBay Money Back Guarantee, PayPal Buyer Protection, or requesting a chargeback from their payment provider) a buyer is required to use that process for the duration of the case.

If a buyer files a chargeback or a PayPal Buyer Protection dispute, any cases opened through eBay Money Back Guarantee for the same transaction are immediately closed."
Maybe the law of the land may override the PayPal 'rules':

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-ri...-terms-in-consumer-contracts-regulations-1999

Last edited:
Got my money back!

Spoke to my house insurance company, Legal and General. They said I was covered under my policy because the amount was over £500 but with a £50 excess. They advised me to contact eBay again mentioning the consumer act that Jamie mentions in the above post, followed by sending a recorded delivery letter stating that I would be referring the matter to a solicitor. I asked the eBay assistant for their address and she gave me one in Luxembourg! Anyway fast forward to the present and money safely back in my current account.

It might well be that eBay managed to get the money back from the seller, hence my refund. Probably nothing to do with what I had said to them.

Last edited:
I've seen similar reports about this outfit in the past. Someone should report them to the local trading standards in the hope of protecting others against this 'business'.

advertisement

Back