advertisement

Pics of your pets (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fingle Bridge today

48259712967_c8de156123_b.jpg

Thanks so much all.

She was a Kelpie-Collie cross who was retired from being a sheepdog at four, after an accident left her with a bad leg and lacking three toes. So she was slightly disabled for the rest of her life. She landed on her three and a half feet with us, going from chained up in shed to sofa surfing, and she never forgot to appreciate it. I don't think I had to reprove her more than a handful of times in her life, she was always well trained and eager to anticipate what you might want.

Was one of those dogs which actually smiled in greeting - I'd have to warn visitors, she's not snarling, she's smiling.

Was highly intelligent, and both got jokes and had natural manners. She would, for instance, seek me out after she had finished her dinner, thank me, then go off about her affairs. If she came in wet from a walk, she'd stand there patiently while I towelled her, then give me a headbut thankyou kiss before running off to get on with things.

A great dog to have on a walk (and being a trained sheepdog, could be walked anywhere without livestock worries).
Oh, we went some places...

Later, when she got deaf, half blind and less mobile she still was up for a walk - even when, the day before, her back end was collapsing under her. And watchdogged the vet, when he came at the end.
A trier to the last.

This morning, the empty sofa is hard to bear.

48266360706_612d81266a_b.jpg

Last holiday pic before heading home today.

Decided to head off track to get to ancient settlements, bad move. The going was getting a bit boggy, but firm underfoot until I stepped onto a piece of grass and disappeared up to my waist. Only one leg fortunately, but scary.

Beware. Dartmoor bites.

Thanks so much all.

She was a Kelpie-Collie cross who was retired from being a sheepdog at four, after an accident left her with a bad leg and lacking three toes. So she was slightly disabled for the rest of her life. She landed on her three and a half feet with us, going from chained up in shed to sofa surfing, and she never forgot to appreciate it. I don't think I had to reprove her more than a handful of times in her life, she was always well trained and eager to anticipate what you might want.

Was one of those dogs which actually smiled in greeting - I'd have to warn visitors, she's not snarling, she's smiling.

Was highly intelligent, and both got jokes and had natural manners. She would, for instance, seek me out after she had finished her dinner, thank me, then go off about her affairs. If she came in wet from a walk, she'd stand there patiently while I towelled her, then give me a headbut thankyou kiss before running off to get on with things.

A great dog to have on a walk (and being a trained sheepdog, could be walked anywhere without livestock worries).
Oh, we went some places...

Later, when she got deaf, half blind and less mobile she still was up for a walk - even when, the day before, her back end was collapsing under her. And watchdogged the vet, when he came at the end.
A trier to the last.

This morning, the empty sofa is hard to bear.
A life well loved! And in both directions.

An absolutely amazingly fantastic time with Betsy today. Let her off her lead for the first very time and she was brilliant. She ran around, sniffed things, approached other dogs nice and calm, came when called and stayed close by.

She’s a rescue dog, and mad as a box of frogs when we got her as a young pup 12 months ago, and despite all the training I was as nervous as hell letting her go for the first time. It was such a joy to watch her bounding free.

48315395951_f17986996f_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back