advertisement

Your final turntable

Love the fact that you bought a £30k TT (SME30) & thought surely there must be something better..
RG1 & TA1 is £10k cheaper the the SME , unless you go all out in full reference spec , motor psu , isolation platform & tonearm

Produktbild_Vertere_1920x1280px_03.jpg

Thorens 126/III with Grace 707..this is my 9th one..yes,nine x126,all of them Mk3,second one with grace 707..with different arms:TP16/63,SME 3009S2,SME IIIs,SME III,SME M2-9..inbetween i have had:

Lenco L-75,as my first proper turntable,somwhere at '76
Thorens 160/MK2+SME 3009S2
Thorens 160Super x2
Thorens 147
Technics SL151/2 with SME III
Rega P3
Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S+second platter+Heed Orbit 2
Technics 1210Mk2
last year purchased Lenco L-75 again,to be on side with 126/SME III,as second turntable..sold it...
Last year for few months owned 2x 126/3's,one with SME III,it has had a factory auto lift on record end,factory installed,second one,this is what i have now as only one,with Grace 707

no plans for changing it,to old and sick from this game,just buying records and CD's...

Well, if money is no object, then maybe the L'Art Du Son Transcription Reference, but given that it is (was) based on the Loricraft/Garrard 501,perhaps it doesn't exist anymore?

One turntable I remember being impressed with, was the Ear-Yoshino Master Disk Turntable, but I gather that's been discontinued too?

my last one ('onest, your Honour) will be a Lenco PTP6 TB. That's two metal plates (the PTP6) with bits from other Lenco's, such as the motor, idler wheel assembly and probably a new bearing, and the platter. Arm will be a Jelco 370H with OTF adjustment and carts include a Denon DL110 and Dynavector 10x5 and an experimental range of head shells.

The PTP6 TB will have a very high tech plinth and mix of new bits, hence TB (Trigger's Brush). This is my 7th Lenco, here are the others:

G99, with modified Rega 250 arm
GL75 with modified Rega 300 arm
GL75 with Technics 1200 arm
GL78 with Linn Basik+ arm
GL72 (light platter) with highly modified and non-modified Pioneer arms (auto lift)
GL59 with GL70 arm

'In the cupboard is a Michell Focus 1 with highly modified SME arm
and a Revolver turntable modified with (up to) three motors (in series) and appropriate Jelco arm (auto lift).

Loads of carts, including Goldring 1040/42 and E3, and all Audio Technica carts up to AT100 some with CF cantilever.
All mounted in different designs of plinths, technically fit for purpose.

Here's The Revolver (with just one motor, ATM):
revolver tt

After I moved on from the Sony music centre, my first turntable for the first proper HiFi (1978) was a Micro Seiki MB10, which seemed quite good, partnered with a magazine recommended Technics receiver and Marantz speakers.
As I was moving quite a bit in those days (early 80s), I bought a Technics SL-10 for the "improved" system and kept it as my main turntable for years, but never got on with it, and by then CD had taken over as my main source.
A colleague practically gave me a Rega Planar 3 (2009), along with his record collection, and to my ears, this trounced the Technics and reawakened my interest in vinyl so that a few years later when I came in to some money, I bought a second-hand Gyrodec which a RB300 arm with Goldring 1042 cartridge. Recently fettled in the suspension department, it sounds very good, though I am being tempted by the Technics SL-1200G. The Gyrodec is just so big! But if I didn't like the Direct Drive SL-10, maybe the 1200G won't be to my taste either, though apart from DD, I suppose they don't have much in common. For the moment, though, the Gyrodec will do!

As well as the lovely decks mentioned, has anyone heard or own a Rega Naiad? Wonder how it compares to the hyper decks of this world.

Najad-III.jpg

After I moved on from the Sony music centre, my first turntable for the first proper HiFi (1978) was a Micro Seiki MB10, which seemed quite good, partnered with a magazine recommended Technics receiver and Marantz speakers.
As I was moving quite a bit in those days (early 80s), I bought a Technics SL-10 for the "improved" system and kept it as my main turntable for years, but never got on with it, and by then CD had taken over as my main source.
A colleague practically gave me a Rega Planar 3 (2009), along with his record collection, and to my ears, this trounced the Technics and reawakened my interest in vinyl so that a few years later when I came in to some money, I bought a second-hand Gyrodec which a RB300 arm with Goldring 1042 cartridge. Recently fettled in the suspension department, it sounds very good, though I am being tempted by the Technics SL-1200G. The Gyrodec is just so big! But if I didn't like the Direct Drive SL-10, maybe the 1200G won't be to my taste either, though apart from DD, I suppose they don't have much in common. For the moment, though, the Gyrodec will do!

If you wanted to retain the Gyrodec and reduce the size (assuming it's a full Gyrodec) you could always convert to the SE ( spider edition)

nice thread...I have mine but latr for that.
A final deck must be
built to last your lifetime with whatever amount of fuss you like to apply to it.
Sound amazing each time you press 'on'
be as good looking as you and your partner need and
make you want to use it. Like cameras, if it';s so complex you can't be bothered, even if it is fantastic, what's the point?

My solution is the palmer 2.5, but if someone else asked me, I'd nominate the LP12 as the best overall chance of filling the above list. I don't like it, but thousands can't be wrong can they?

Palmer 2.5-SME M2-Dynavector 20 by johndutf, on Flickr

nice thread...I have mine but latr for that.
A final deck must be
built to last your lifetime with whatever amount of fuss you like to apply to it.
Sound amazing each time you press 'on'
be as good looking as you and your partner need and
make you want to use it. Like cameras, if it';s so complex you can't be bothered, even if it is fantastic, what's the point?

My solution is the palmer 2.5, but if someone else asked me, I'd nominate the LP12 as the best overall chance of filling the above list. I don't like it, but thousands can't be wrong can they?

I thought that you had sold your Palmer to fund an electric bicycle purchase ?

Pleased for you if you didn't need to in the end..... much too nice to sell I always thought.

Cant see me ever replacing this to be fair there to dam expensive these days , it's a full Orbe normally but I fitted the spider kit on it
The other day turning it into the SE model

This is the one that piqued my interest, a prototype from the Munich High End 2019.

I could be totally wrong, but does this look like a new EMT deck?
Look at the lever switches, strobe position, raised area around the platter...

Incidentally, it was in the Thales EMT room at the show to the best of my knowledge.

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=100326&d=1557605584

Can’t get the image to load properly, please click the link.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The link has no pics but expects you to sign up to something.

Fettled Planar 3. Something of a project completed a few years ago. Early 80s plinth wood trim, RB300, motor upgrade, and metal subplatter. Rounded out by an AT100e. Does all I ask of a turntable. Lovely to look at and great for listening to records on.

My current table, a Holbo Air-bearing, linear tracking system will be my last. I love it, it will see me out until I am gone.

Prior to this table, I was looking/listening to WT and Pear Audio tables, the Holbo won out in the end.

advertisement

Back