advertisement

Rega vs Naim

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi all,

The new SN3 and specifically the Xs3 has spiked my interest in Naim again. I have never owned a naim system however the addition of a phono stage and the history of the nait amplifiers themselves has me interested.

I currently have a rega based system which I really like but would like to possibly upgrade from my rega brio 2017 amplifier to either rega elicit r or whatever they release to replace it or maybe the nait xs3 - I will obviously need to listen to both at the time.

Would like to hear from anyone who is using rega sources with naim amplification or anyone who has made the switch from rega to naim or vice versa.

My current system is as follows:
Rega dac r, rega planar 3 with exact, rega brio 2017 and neat motive sx3.

Many thanks

There's the new Rega Aethos due imminently and a comparison dem alongside the new Naim SN3 / XS3 integrated amps would be high on my list given you have the (superb) Brio and like the Rega sound.

7eab8febb628219b36a024b7ef3a5bed851d1d3e_1.jpeg

Is this elicit r replacement? Do you know cost?
According to their new brochure (picked up at a Rega launch of the P8) it states the Aethos is their entry amp in the sparkly 'reference range'. To cost around the 3K mark. I enjoyed the Osiris they were using in association with the P8 at this demo day, and if the Aethos gets close then it should be rather good. As a Naim owner (I know, burn the witch) I do like Rega's current range of electronics and this potentially should be very competitive. Then again, so should the SN3!

Quite a lot of dealers stock both. In the old days you started with Rega & progressed to naim as they operated in different market positions. I used to have a Rega brio 20 odd years ago, moved to a 2nd hand 92/90, back then it was easy to upgrade in small jumps.

Hi all,

The new SN3 and specifically the Xs3 has spiked my interest in Naim again. I have never owned a naim system however the addition of a phono stage and the history of the nait amplifiers themselves has me interested.

I currently have a rega based system which I really like but would like to possibly upgrade from my rega brio 2017 amplifier to either rega elicit r or whatever they release to replace it or maybe the nait xs3 - I will obviously need to listen to both at the time.

Would like to hear from anyone who is using rega sources with naim amplification or anyone who has made the switch from rega to naim or vice versa.

My current system is as follows:
Rega dac r, rega planar 3 with exact, rega brio 2017 and neat motive sx3.

Many thanks

If you run vinyl as main source you might consider going up at P8 level or at the very least get a ttpsu or neo for your P3.

I believe a P8/Elex/R is to be preferred against P3/Elicit/R or even higher amp (with Motive SX3)

I owned Naim CD players and amps for twenty years. I now have a Rega turntable, CD player and DAC. I've never owned a Rega amplifier although I have heard them.

I can't see me ever buying Naim again. Perhaps the best way to sum up the difference is that with Naim you tend to be thinking 'This is impressive, but it's not right. What is the next upgrade I can do?'

Rega tends to be a little less impressive initially but once you get to know it the feeling is 'This is music, this has to stay'.

I'd have a listen to some other makes as well as the above.

I did this 18 months ago and ended up with a Denon - to my surprise. Can't always dem back to back and it took me some weeks of travelling and listening.

That said I didn't hear a 'bad' amp. Have fun.

Had Naim and Rega CD players at home recently and the Naim, which was far cheaper, was also far better for my ears. So remain open-minded and listen to other stuff too.

Any good Rega & Naim dealer 'Should' be able to demonstrate what changing too either Elex, Elicit, Aethos and both of the new Naim amps, BTW the new Aethos amp does not have an onboard phono stage.

For an immediate improvement in your Planar 3 buy a Neo PSU, I'm currently using an RP3, when I added the TT PSU my wife heard the difference from the adjoining room.

If you run vinyl as main source you might consider going up at P8 level or at the very least get a ttpsu or neo for your P3.

I believe a P8/Elex/R is to be preferred against P3/Elicit/R or even higher amp (with Motive SX3)
Yeah I definitely intend to get the psu. I did look at the P8 and some day might as I do have a decent record collection but I wouldn't call it my main source as I tend to listen to tidal via a Cca into my dac mostly for convenience as I listen a lot late at night.

I think other than the psu I would be keen to demo the xs3 just to scratch that itch (grass is always greener) but would like to see how the Elicit r compares to the brio which is a superb amp. I also suspect that there will be a replacement for the elex and elicits at some point in the not too distant future.

There's the new Rega Aethos due imminently and a comparison dem alongside the new Naim SN3 / XS3 integrated amps would be high on my list given you have the (superb) Brio and like the Rega sound.

7eab8febb628219b36a024b7ef3a5bed851d1d3e_1.jpeg

That is an exceptionally ugly amplifier - although I suspect it'll probably sound good.

I owned Naim CD players and amps for twenty years. I now have a Rega turntable, CD player and DAC. I've never owned a Rega amplifier although I have heard them.

I can't see me ever buying Naim again. Perhaps the best way to sum up the difference is that with Naim you tend to be thinking 'This is impressive, but it's not right. What is the next upgrade I can do?'

Rega tends to be a little less impressive initially but once you get to know it the feeling is 'This is music, this has to stay'.
What amplifier are you currently using?

I'd have a listen to some other makes as well as the above.

I did this 18 months ago and ended up with a Denon - to my surprise. Can't always dem back to back and it took me some weeks of travelling and listening.

That said I didn't hear a 'bad' amp. Have fun.
Interesting - which one?

If box-count is no issue - You can get high up up Naim amp hiearchy buying s/h
XS3 money will buy you 202/200 level or Olive 3box 250 based

What is the ‘Rega sound’?
What is the ‘Naim sound’?
Without descending into an ‘all competent amps sound the same blindfolded’, surely, there must be a fair degree of overlap?
Those that have lived with both, how do you sum up the sounds please?

advertisement

Back