advertisement

Has anyone ditched their belt drive deck for a SL1200G?

Inspired by this photo on another forum.

Lxgbzjm.jpg

How much are these Jelco arms and will any of them match a 1200G or GR ?

What about the standard arm ? Guess it has no re- sale value and nice having the day a deck resale is needed (if ever)

How much are these Jelco arms and will any of them match a 1200G or GR ?

What about the standard arm ? Guess it has no re- sale value and nice having the day a deck resale is needed (if ever)

My Jelco TK-850S was around $1,200. Not sure what you mean when asking if they match the 1200G, as there is a picture above showing the Jelco on the 1200G.

As for the stock arm, I’ll hold onto it in case I ever sell the 1200G. It has no value to anyone because it can only be used on a 1200G due to the way it’s attached to the RCA outputs and is removed as one piece.

My Jelco TK-850S was around $1,200. Not sure what you mean when asking if they match the 1200G, as there is a picture above showing the Jelco on the 1200G.

As for the stock arm, I’ll hold onto it in case I ever sell the 1200G. It has no value to anyone because it can only be used on a 1200G due to the way it’s attached to the RCA outputs and is removed as one piece.

Thanks for reply
I meant is there room for cable, bits, hole in armboard etc ?
Is it sort of fit and forget - anything to be aware of, arm-size etc.? (seen a good priced 9" Jelco at a dealer nearby)
Does above vote for 1200G only or GR too ?

Thanks for reply
I meant is there room for cable, bits, hole in armboard etc ?
Is it sort of fit and forget - anything to be aware of, arm-size etc.? (seen a good priced 9" Jelco at a dealer nearby)
Does above vote for 1200G only or GR too ?

I used the Ammonite Audio armboard, which is so fantastic and basically looks stock. There is plenty of room there for the Jelco and outside of taking out screws and putting them back, there's not much to do to put the new arm on. I do know that if you tried using an SME 309, IV or V, you'd have some difficulty fitting a tonearm cable, because of SME's weird, right angle DIN connector. But with the Jelco have a DIN connector that goes straight down, there's no issues at all.

I can't say if the the above pertains to the 1200GR, as I only know that it works on the 1200G.

This is actually my 1200G (w/ Jelco TK-850S and Koetsu Urushi Sky Blue). The only thing I've changed is the mat, which is now an Auditorium 23 Hommage mat. Infinitely better sounding than the stock rubber and best of all, no more static.

Here it is with the A23 mat in place:

7yj77ps.jpg
Looks superb, hope you didn't, mind me sharing.

Oops - I bought it!

The GR is perfect for my sizeable (about 1800 records) classical collection. I think for Pop and Jazz the Garrard edged it but there's something about the "CD - like" solidity of the Technics that just works on classical. And end-of-side distortion is non-existent - a bonus. By the way, I've reinstated my ESCo/Midas 103 for cart duties which is sounding as good as ever.

I have another Garrard (401) which is being used by Jolyon DeFossard (of Lenco bearings fame) as a testbed for an arm Idea of his...and one day it would be super to have both decks in use for alternative presentation but I think the lack of WAF would scupper that!

Still, this (£1150 with discount) deck is an extraordinary thing for the money.

I think for Pop and Jazz the Garrard edged it but there's something about the "CD - like" solidity of the Technics that just works on classical.

It's interesting that you mention CD. It's not just turntables but speakers and Hi-Fi in general is getting more clinical. Designers are using computermebobs and other tech wizardry to refine and sanitise products. Technically, they are better. Technically, they have less distortion so are more accurate but something is being lost.

The RP10 is a better turntable than the LP12, well mine anyway, and I don't want to go back but there is an element of what I might describe as 'organic fluidity' which has been lost. At the moment anyway, I've not yet found a way to get it back without compromising other things too much.

Older products had more 'soul', and it wasn't always a bad thing. I the early days, classical listeners jumped on CD with giddy delight while I hated the damned things.

It's interesting that you mention CD. It's not just turntables but speakers and Hi-Fi in general is getting more clinical. Designers are using computermebobs and other tech wizardry to refine and sanitise products. Technically, they are better. Technically, they have less distortion so are more accurate but something is being lost.

The RP10 is a better turntable than the LP12, well mine anyway, and I don't want to go back but there is an element of what I might describe as 'organic fluidity' which has been lost. At the moment anyway, I've not yet found a way to get it back without compromising other things too much.

Older products had more 'soul', and it wasn't always a bad thing. I the early days, classical listeners jumped on CD with giddy delight while I hated the damned things.

I kind of know what you mean...but I need less distortion not more for classical listening. In fact, as a classical listener I wish I hadn't listened to the dealer Bullshit and gone down the Linn rabbit hole in the mid 80s. I should have embraced CD and enjoyed the ride. I would have amassed a superb collection by the year 2000 and by that time there were players which easily trounced vinyl replay for classical in every respect (all things source being equal which they're not) and piano music in particular.

But I am where I am with a big classical vinyl collection and I was considering giving away the lot until this Technics came along.

Maybe the problem is that 99.9% of all the music I hear these days is live and acoustic.

advertisement

Back