advertisement

Your final turntable

Will hopefully purchasing a new T/T a little later on... however my Gyrodec SE ( maxxed out) will definitely be staying.:)

In 39 yrs

Dual 505
Rega 3
LP12
Oracle Delphi
Artemis Labs SA1
Sme30
Now my last TT Vertere RG-1 /SG-1TA Tonearm / Ortofon MC A95

settled on my WT record player (original) in the understanding that most changes and choices are mostly arbitrary and the likelihood i probably won't do much better than this one - not to mention the fact that it sort of 'represents' what i consider a very admirable, even iconoclastic, engineering solution to the problem of how to build a proper turntable.

I must have got up the wrong side of the pit this am as I seem to be in a contrary mood.

For three pages I have read loving descriptions of beautiful turn tables but I hope to live long enough to benefit from automation in that department. I have a Technics SL7 on loan to my 92 year old father in law and another to grandchildren. No worries in respect of damaging styli.

Hopefully one of these or the nice example of a (fully automatic operation possible) Sony PS-X600 I have stashed will be my 'final' TT but in the meantime I still enjoy exploring what the 'ultimate' might be (subject to budget constraints of course!)

Jim

Purchased my first TT some 50 years ago,a Pioneer which was part of a package deal.I used to change them every couple of years and went through most of the popular decks of the day,however never owned a Linn.

In the last 20 years only had 3 decks.
Voyd with Helius Cyalene arm and Kiseki Agate Ruby,this stayed for the best part of 10 years.
VPI Super scoutmaster,JMW arm,Lyra Helikon/Koetsu red,sideway's move really compared to the Voyd,just fancied a change.
Basis Signature 2200,Vector 4 arm,Koetsu red.Probably my last deck as being a pensioner I could never justify the cost of upgrading,although an Urushi could be added in the near future.

Last edited:
I've only ever had three TTs in 40 years. The current one, an LP12, has been with me since 1987. If I was contemplating a new mistress, it might be an SME 20A, but I have no compelling reason to change.

Purchased my first TT some 50 years ago,a Pioneer which was part of a package deal.I used to change them every couple of years and went through most of the popular decks of the day,however never owned a Linn.

In the last 20 years only had 3 decks.
Voyd with Helius Cyalene arm and Kiseki Agate Ruby,this stayed for the best part of 10 years.
VPI Super scoutmaster,JMW arm,Lyra Helikon,sideway's move really compared to the Voyd,just fancied a change.
Basis Signature 2200,Vector 4 arm,Koetsu red.Probably my last deck as being a pensioner I could never justify the cost of upgrading,although an Urushi could be added in the near future.
Did the Basis sound better than the other two?

Did the Basis sound better than the other two?

For me and my many forum friends yes,it was quite an improvement over the VPI,the Basis just sounds right,the only upgrade I would make would be a better Koetsu cartridge as I have a Koetsu SUT and an NVO SPA 11 phono stage.

Had an LP12 in various guises for 25 years until I reached the level of Lingo 2, Ekos 2 and Akiva in 2005. Heard good things about the Rega P9 thanks to this forum so when a relatively inexpensive one came along on Ebay I chanced my arm. Couldn't believe how much better it sounded. Unfortunately I had to sell it after I moved and two years ago I got an RP8/Apheta. Very good, indeed in certain respects preferable to the P9. Then a year ago a rare opportunity to purchase a secondhand mint Roksan 20+/Artimez 2 proved irresistible. OMG!! Vinyl heaven. I don't see myself ever owning another deck.

For three pages I have read loving descriptions of beautiful turn tables but I hope to live long enough to benefit from automation in that department.

This is a depressing but fair point.

In which case my ‘final’ turntable will probably be my ADC Accutrac 4000!

You make a good point. Everyone here should leave an envelope marked “to be opened only on my demise” containing the real prices of their stuff.
Or, like a family friend of ours, die and then leave your wife to be surprised as hell when those dusty old doo-hickeys that have sat on top of the dresser for 20 years pay for your new car - they were a pair of Leak TL12.1's he'd been meaning to refurb.

Final turntable? If I had the dough to tempt him (you'd need a lot) I'd get YNWOAN to make me one like his... but better!!

Technics SL BD-202
Thorens TD166
LP12/Valhalla/Akito
Clearaudio Reference/TQI
LP12/Valhalla/Ittok
Clearaudio Champion Ltd./Unify
And finally, the best of them by a mile: Oracle Delphi VI/SME309

Started with a Rega Planar 2 some 30 years ago. Since then a Planar 3, Pro-ject 6.1, Thorens TD150Mk2 with original arm then SME 3009 Improved, Lenco L75 in heavy CLD plinth with either RB250 or AT-1005MkII arm, Garrard 401 in birch plinth with TecnoArm(a), Rega P7 and now Technics SL1000MkII first with EPA-100 and now with Mission Mechanic.

For endgame would like the SL-1000R and let the cartridge colour the sound whichever way preferred.

‘83 Sondek (pre-Cirkus, upgraded with Lingo 1 & Trampolin 1), Zeta arm. Currently sports an old Audio Technica OC5.

Can’t see me changing anything other than the cartridge.

Only four to date:

Goldring Lenco GL 75
Michell Focus One / Infinity Black Widow
Linn Axis
PT Anniversary / SME V / various Ortofon

There are around 15 - 20 current high end decks I could happily accommodate, the next if and when it happens will be the last.
One particular new prototype design caught my attention recently and I’ll post an image of it later.

advertisement

Back