advertisement

Which phono stage with P8/Apheta 2?

Nagraboy

Ausculta fili
Bought a Rega Planar 8/Apheta 2 this week, but now need a phono stage. It’ll be going into my Leben CS300XS/Harbeth P3ESR combo which I’m very happy with.

I’ve tried the VIDA - which is superb - but don’t want to spend that much again, and I have a Croft RIAA MM stage here to which I could perhaps add a SUT.

I’m happy to spend whatever’s appropriate, so what should be about on my shortlist?

Aria is the obvious choice.

Maybe, but seems a bit of a waste having two phono stages in one case when I’ll only be using one.

I find Rega’s phono stage - and integrated amp - range quite strange compared with their turntable and cartridge range. If you have one of their amps, but choose an Ania or Apheta, you have to go for the Aria with it’s uneccesary second MM stage, or the price-inappropriate Aura. Very odd. They need a good MC-only stage for around £1000 really.

I might just go for the Fono MC as a short to medium term option.

Seeing as you really like the Leben/Harbeth combo, I'd honestly say to put your name down for the RSL phono stage loaner, it's amazing, even more so at the money. The air, space and timbre are the best I've heard - granted, I've not heard any of the super stages at silly money but they'd have to be a pretty bloody big leap to be worth the extra over the RSL stage.

Seeing as you really like the Leben/Harbeth combo, I'd honestly say to put your name down for the RSL phono stage loaner, it's amazing, even more so at the money. The air, space and timbre are the best I've heard - granted, I've not heard any of the super stages at silly money but they'd have to be a pretty bloody big leap to be worth the extra over the RSL stage.

I’ve not heard of that one Matt, I’ll have a search. Thanks.

The Longdog MCJ3 really is superb. I reviewed it recently and ended up buying the unit.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/...lve-phono-stage/?tab=comments#comment-2377467

According to the specs of the Apheta, it should be a perfect match. The only downside of the Longdog is that it doesn't have adjustable gain, but the 64dB it has will be just right for your 0.35mV cart.

At a lower price, I would leave your doubts about the Aria behind. It's a lovely phono stage for MC carts. The Longdog is a significant step up, but I still think it's remarkably what Rega are providing for under £1000.

I use a Whest Audio PS30.RDT and before that the PS30 - you can buy a PS30 used for £700-800.
But in the context of your system, I agree with Elephantears; the Aria seems a perfect match.

Now that I've got the wires and settings sorted out, I'm rather impressed with Fono MC. This is with a more lowly P3/AT-F7, but it sounds lovely. In fact, I'll be using it later to listen to Polypores' Flora! In your case, if I had the dosh, I'd be looking at the Aria. Just think of the MM side as a freebie.

Now that I've got the wires and settings sorted out, I'm rather impressed with Fono MC. This is with a more lowly P3/AT-F7, but it sounds lovely. In fact, I'll be using it later to listen to Polypores' Flora! In your case, if I had the dosh, I'd be looking at the Aria. Just think of the MM side as a freebie.

Ha! My copy is waiting for me at home for when I return from Poland. I'm in Gdansk right now.

If I had the Aria, I might get a P3 and a mono cartridge...

I use the Apheta 2 with the RP8 and have just purchased the Exposure XM3, which I prefer to a number of others. Also MC and MM, v flexible, simple half-width case and from past experience of Exposure ultra-reliable. Some £160 less exp than the Aria.

I use a Whest Audio PS30.RDT and before that the PS30 - you can buy a PS30 used for £700-800.
But in the context of your system, I agree with Elephantears; the Aria seems a perfect match.

Jut to clarify, I was saying the Longdog MCJ3 would be a perfect match, although of course the Aria would be too. I also think a P30R is a great second hand buy. I don't know if Danny (Duvet) from the Wam still uses one, but he did for ages and it sounded great in his system.

Have Glenn Croft upgrade your Riaa to Riaa R and try a well-known SUT such as a Puresound or a Rothwell Headspace. If you like the sound you can upgrade to RS spec later, sell off the Puresound / Headspace and buy an EAR MC3/MC4 or a better headamp.

RIAA R + Hashimoto HM3 may be the best phono stage I've had; I would put that up against the Longdog and expect it to have even greater richness, but not be as tight and clear (pure guesswork though, and very context determined). I only moved it on because the loading was a bit low for my Miyajima, so it was a little rolled off for my taste.

advertisement

Back