advertisement

Your final turntable

In 42 yrs

Sansui SR222
LP12
SME 20/3
Rega 8

Pondering selling the Rega and most of my vinyl so the Rega is my last TT.

A lifetime of Dual and Rega, with associated fiddling, fettling, tweaking and upgrading, and then along came the 1210GR and that was that. The End.

I am content with my NA Dais, but if I ever wanted to blow £30k on a deck it would be a TechDas.

I've recently got Sony TTS8000, and while in many ways its superior to my regular Garrard's (noise floor, detail, separation ect) it doesn't engage with me in the same way, so I guess my 'end game' will be a CTC Garrard?

Various Rega's started the affliction which eventually led to a high spec LP12, and then another to play around with MC/phono stage options. Some lingering doubts eventually allowed me to trade in one of my LP12's for what I believe will be my final deck- Dohmann Helix 2. Fantastic bit of engineering which actually makes music a joy to listen to....no more lingering doubts :).

Various Rega's started the affliction which eventually led to a high spec LP12, and then another to play around with MC/phono stage options. Some lingering doubts eventually allowed me to trade in one of my LP12's for what I believe will be my final deck- Dohmann Helix 2. Fantastic bit of engineering which actually makes music a joy to listen to....no more lingering doubts :).

Just out of interest what cartridge and phono are you using with your Helix? Although I've not heard one (yet) would definitely be on my final table list.

Just out of interest what cartridge and phono are you using with your Helix? Although I've not heard one (yet) would definitely be on my final table list.
An Allnic H-7000 was purchased for my Lyra Etna SL on the Schroder CB arm- very flexible and dynamic phono, imo. Last week I slotted in a West Titan Pro just to see what a good SS design would sound like- soundstage shrunk a bit but I am getting a bit more leading edge attack which I enjoy. The Allnic has glorious midrange and a deep bass response. The Whest is a bit more "fun". Still searching for the "perfect" phono.....

Reactions: Spd
Quite happy with my Tangerine iteration of the LP12. So, you could say I am there. In the somewhat unlikely event of the Euromillions coming my way I wouldn’t mind having a play with a Techdas.

I have two decks that should see me out: a 1958 TD-124 Mk I with Ortofon RMG-212 tonearm and Royal GM Mk II SPU, and a WT GTA with EMT JSD-6.

Have been super happy with my "final TT" the Xerxes 20+ with all the trimmings for many years (before that I had an original Xerxes since the mid '80s), but since chatting with Touraj at a show about the benefits of 24 pole motors he has got me thinking........

In just over 40 years:

Micro Seiki MB10. They made some good and interesting turntables, but the MB10 was not one of them.
Ariston RD11E. This was in 1979 after the original company went bust. Not bad, but fitting the belt was a challenge until you got used to it.
Rega Planer 3, one of the first with the straight arm. Nice, kept it for about seven years.
Gyrodec SE. 20 Years service and probably my final turntable.

However, around the house are a Thorens TD125, a Garrard 401, and a SME 3009, not doing anything much, so who knows?

I have had an Acoustic Signature Challenger for over 10 years now. I expect my son to put it on e bay when I die. Assuming, of course, that western civilisation hasn't completely collapsed by then.

TBH I am surprised by the lack of TT swapping here; most people seem to have been happy with their turntables for a long time.

I am no different, having lived with my Basis Debut/ARO for the last 15 years with nothing changed except for cartridges and the occasional belt.

I am very keen on the Technics 1200G as my final TT but unfortunately it is not distributed in my locale. Truth be told I can be very happy with the standard 1200mk2 as my final tt.

I allowed myself an Orbe on the strict understanding that it would be the last turntable I bought.

Then I was given a 301.

Have been super happy with my "final TT" the Xerxes 20+ with all the trimmings for many years (before that I had an original Xerxes since the mid '80s), but since chatting with Touraj at a show about the benefits of 24 pole motors he has got me thinking........

It's bad news when Touraj gets you thinking. Look what happened to my Xerxes 20+:
HPyj0DR.jpg

Best regards, FT

I keep buying LP12s, get disappointed and sell them then buy another. It feels like having been married and divorced five times from the same person. The only reason I got rid of my PT Export was because it ran slightly fast otherwise I’d have kept it. I could see my days out with the Orbe. I did ogle an Avid Acutus today though so I must be a faithless lover ( at my age too..). The Avid is an absolute stunner and although Ive never heard one, I’ve every reason to believe it sounds as good as it looks.

It does.....:)

advertisement

Back