advertisement

50 Years Since First Moon Landing.

The BBC podcast - 13 minutes to the moon - has been brilliant. Highly recommended for Apollo fans.

Also, there’s a fantastic book called ‘How Apollo flew to the moon’. Goes into all the technical info, but is an easy read.

Not wanting to put a downer on the thread, but it also brings home to me that it is almost 50 years since we last set foot on the moon.

Was a great program last night, think Buzz Aldrin still keeps that pen close to him as it has been shown a few times on TV when he has been on.

Anyone see the one on Sky where they told the Neil Armstrong story?

Interesting that it was suggested that he never got back into space because NASA would not want a national/global hero killed on any future missions.

I’ve got last night’s program in the TV box for later...

Anyone with an interest in Apollo and the early computer technology behind it really needs to watch this series:

It really is amazing stuff and wonderful to see the lengths these guys are going to in order to get this AGC back up and running.

It was really good. Gave me goose bumps too, and took me back to when I was nineteen!

Made me laugh when Walter Cronkite said he was left speechless when they landed!

Also reminded me how everything changes but remains the same, like when no one knew what the system error codes meant!

Thanks for the reminder- wondered where it had got to. Watching the BBC Apollo last night, I was thinking how good it would be to see something on the big screen. Off to check screenings now.

Cheers, if you click the link in my post it brings up a list of screenings.

I enjoyed the program last night (I have been obsessed with Apollo program since I was a kid) using actors to dramatise events 'niggled' a bit at first, but I warmed to it as program progressed.

Not wanting to put a downer on the thread, but it also brings home to me that it is almost 50 years since we last set foot on the moon.

Indeed. At the time it was almost taken for granted that the process of exploration would continue though Moon bases, trips to Mars, etc. Yet the reality became that the 'Western World' decided to spend its money on fags and crisps instead. In a sense. politics lost its way and as a result I suspect that circa 1970 was the 'peak' for the 'Western World'. Since then exploring has been largely left to others - China, India, etc, etc - as the West just enjoys multi-million dollar movies and series and FarceBook rather than reality. Inward looking.

The BBC podcast - 13 minutes to the moon - has been brilliant. Highly recommended for Apollo fans.

Yes. Also for anyone interested in many related aspects of technology, etc. e,g, the details and stories around the flight computer on Apollo and the state of computer technology and programming back then. Reminded me that my first encounter with 'chips' was RTL and DTL ICs and that early approach and docking systems for spacecraft consisted of a device like the extendable antenna on an FM portable radio. This then compressed as the craft came towards contact to signal the distance and closing velocity! Before the days of precision radars or lidars.

Different world back then in more ways than one! :)

I’ve got last night’s program in the TV box for later...

Anyone with an interest in Apollo and the early computer technology behind it really needs to watch this series:

It really is amazing stuff and wonderful to see the lengths these guys are going to in order to get this AGC back up and running.

You have a great deal to answer for Tony. My company want a chat with you about my productivity today.

Yes. The film Last Man on the Moon about (and including) Gene Cernan is excellent. I first watched it prior to visiting the Kennedy Space Centre.

In fact when at the KSC we got chatting to a family when queuing and discovers they were fairly local (they were taking the grandchildren) and that he had worked there during some of the big launches in the 60s. It was a fascinating chance conversation.

My parents - who married later in 1969 - talk of following the moon landing closely as it happens, watching reports on a tiny black and white TV in the bedroom of their flat in Wimbledon....

You have a great deal to answer for Tony. My company want a chat with you about my productivity today.

Wait till you dive into the rest of his channel! Loads of great stuff there from restoring an IBM 1401 through to building his own life-sized R2D2!

Wait till you dive into the rest of his channel! Loads of great stuff there from restoring an IBM 1401 through to building his own life-sized R2D2!

You are really not helping here ;-)

It is an amazing channel, The 1401 is lined up next.

advertisement

Back