advertisement

Chromecast Audio alternatives for HiFi use

cj66

pfm Member
Dug out the old HiFi for causal use and thought a CCA would be nice on there for my android phone.
However, I remembered that Spotify can't do normalised volume via a CCA.
Therefore, before I hunt one down is there any other budget priced gadget that does the same thing with Spotify volume normalising working?

Aye, it works via headphones but not via CCA, a defect in the app as you say and hence the question as despite the many requests on their forum, I can't see a fix materialising now the stand alone CCA itself has been killed off.

Why not just use a 3.5mm jack in the headphone socket to twin RCAs plugged into the hifi? That's what I do with my Android tablet.

Dug out the old HiFi for causal use and thought a CCA would be nice on there for my android phone.
However, I remembered that Spotify can't do normalised volume via a CCA.
Therefore, before I hunt one down is there any other budget priced gadget that does the same thing with Spotify volume normalising working?
I believe it can with the Logitech Media Server, search the squeezebox forum website or ask a question there about it -- you could make yourself a streamer with Rasberry Pi, or maybe still use chromecast from LMS, there's an app for this.

Some people say it has a negative impact on sound quality by the way -- I get unsatisfactory sound through spotify.

I turned off normalising in Spotify since I found it (at least subjectively) contrained dynamics a bit. The Bluesound Node 2i does support ReplayGain but it's not a budget device compared to the Chromecast.

Nice unit but works via built in CC, = same problem unfortunately.
"Enables streaming of Spotify, SoundCloud, TIDAL, TuneIn, own music and 100+ more via Chromecast"

Unless you know different?

Nice unit but works via built in CC, = same problem unfortunately.
"Enables streaming of Spotify, SoundCloud, TIDAL, TuneIn, own music and 100+ more via Chromecast"

Unless you know different?

Nope, I'd just misunderstood your requirements :)

LMS sees my CCA devices through Chromecast Bridge and they appear as devices alongside my Touch. I don't recall actually installing Bridge, it was just there in the plug in list. Working well 99% of the time, just occasionally one device disappears and I have to go into LMS plug in settings and restart Bridge.

Phono to 3.5mm is ok when settled and not wanting to use the phone, otherwise....
Just get a long cable, as well as a long charging cable - I have 3 or 5m, so it reaches the nearest sofa - so the phone can charge whilst playing music
& you can use the phone if required.

No idea how good the onboard DAC on your phone is : iPhone 6 Plus onwards has an excellent DAC (somewhere near bottom of this review https://kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm).

I thought I'd revive this thread just to say I can't believe how good Chromecast Audio sounds. I've dug out an old Cyrus 1 amp and a pair of Maudaunt Short 05 speakers, a phono socket adapter to plug into the Chromecast, a couple of old Chord interconnects and some bit of speaker cable and set it up in the bedroom. It sounds far better than it should!
Bubble app on the phone and it's pulling everything off the NAS. Great! Sometimes it makes you wonder why I bother with the other stuff!

advertisement

Back