advertisement

Has anyone ditched their belt drive deck for a SL1200G?

Had a Linn LP12 for years and briefly a Space Deck ,bit the bullet and got a Technics sl1200G about two years back and have never considered going back to belt drive decks. The Technics 1200g is the best deck I have ever owned and works well with all my cartridges with it's standard arm which I think is a bit underated in some quarters.

Had a Linn LP12 for years and briefly a Space Deck ,bit the bullet and got a Technics sl1200G about two years back and have never considered going back to belt drive decks.

It's a much healthier landscape than it was in the eighties don't you think? Despite vinyl being a much smaller market we actually have, not so much more choice exactly but better choices, which are less encumbered by dogma, propaganda and misinformation.

I think there is more chance that a buyer today will end up with a record player they will really like than there ever was in the past.

Just enjoying a GR in my system courtesy of a loan from my local Richer Sounds (bless 'em).

I really think this is the way forward for me. Classical is sounding so right. There's possible a slight lack of sweetness compared with my Garrard but as the vast majority of my vinyl is classical, this really seems like a serious contender due to the wonderful pitch stability.

Now...just how much better is the G?

I always thought the speed stability of the Garrards was very good? Certainly a lot better than the LP12. You might find that upgrading the cartridge or phono stage will sort out that last inch you're missing from the GR.

I always thought the speed stability of the Garrards was very good? Certainly a lot better than the LP12. You might find that upgrading the cartridge or phono stage will sort out that last inch you're missing from the GR.
Agreed. The 301 is excellent in that regard. But something about the way this GR does things seems to be right for classical music. Could certainly live with this.

Thanks, I'll probably give it another month and then call them. Not that I expect a firm delivery date, but it would be nice to know if they've received any since I placed my order.
I called them, but didn't get any meaningful answer, I also e-mailed them but they didn't reply.
I may cancel and buy something cheaper - the combination of Brexit and Trump's trade war is having a pretty devastating effect on my income...

I fear imported stuff is only going to go up in price when the pound takes its next slide. I intend to complete any purchases before Bojo opens his mouth outside No.10.

Can you advise? CHEEKY QUESTION ALERT: I have a 1210 GR at home which was in the window of Richer Sounds Brighton so they had to re-box it for me. I paid full price £1299 on approval but can take it back for a full refund by a week tomorrow. I did ask the guy there if I did buy it, could I have it as ex-dem as it had been unpacked etc. He agreed and would think about a price. So...what should this be costing me assuming I decide to have it?

Can you advise? CHEEKY QUESTION ALERT: I have a 1210 GR at home which was in the window of Richer Sounds Brighton so they had to re-box it for me. I paid full price £1299 on approval but can take it back for a full refund by a week tomorrow. I did ask the guy there if I did buy it, could I have it as ex-dem as it had been unpacked etc. He agreed and would think about a price. So...what should this be costing me assuming I decide to have it?

I'd try for £1,100 (or even £1,000 if you're feeling super cheeky) and see if he bites. If he says that's too low then put the ball in his court. My guess is they'd want to sell it for £1,200.

Incidentally Audio T have an ex-demo SL-1200G for £2,000 - though there is damage to the lid and a scratch on the top plate...

https://www.audiot.co.uk/products/technics-sl-1200g-turntable-13450.aspx

So...what should this be costing me assuming I decide to have it?

How long is a piece of string? Ask the question and see what he says. You'll probably be offered a good discount, these guys in box-shifter shops would rather avoid hassle than squeeze you for another few quid.

Thanks guys. I'm fancying that Audio T one...but I would always be looking at that dent. Having said that...I have to ask myself (because this GR is fabulous and all the deck I really need) do I really want a G? (another stupid question, I know).

Having said that...I have to ask myself (because this GR is fabulous and all the deck I really need) do I really want a G?

It depends. There are certain things I've bought and never felt the desire to change, Linn Isobariks for example, but most things tarnish after a while. There is the honeymoon period where the ways in which the new toy is better than the old toy jump out at you but after a while you often realise that there are some things missing that the old toy did.

Nothing is perfect. If the G is better than the GR and you can comfortably afford it then personally, I'd try it. If you don't you might find yourself sitting in a few months, when the sheen has worn off the deck you have, wondering what you are missing.

Richer have offered to price match at £2649 for the G as that is what hifi corner are selling it for. They even offered at the time to match Doug Brady at £2300 when it's what they had it listed for!

advertisement

Back