advertisement

Harbeth M40.2 vs Graham Audio LS5/8

An even more interesting beast is the BBC LS5/1AE which uses a 15" Goodmans bass driver and a pair of Celestion HF1400 tweeters. In earlier versions one was rolled off above about 5 Khz, in later versions (the pair I have) they run in parallel from 1.7Khz. I only learnt this recenly when in conversation with one of the KEF Engineers who worked on the production version (realisation) of them!!
I was looking this speaker up and found photos of the LS5/5 which looks like a predecessor of the S100/M40.
The white paper is signed by Harwood and Hughes:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/rdreport_1967_57

Think we need to calm down chaps, I"m seriously considering starting to manage at least one members access to threads, as all they do is copy and paste graphs, talk about speakers they've never heard, and spout their dogma every time someone posts a thread asking about speakers. It's very tedious and is causing circular arguments. Consider themselves warned.

<moderating>

Since your knowledge is vastly superior could you tell me I can ditch the port plugging by high-passing my ported speakers at a frequency above the system resonance?

And the Neumann link merely informs that a three way is better than a two way in that respect (which is better than one), and going three way also gives potentially lower harmonic distortion in the bass.
This is clear in the graphs, which is why I like them.

Like I've said a few times, my comments are in relation to absolute performance. A 2-way is the minimum but can be bettered.
All topologies have advantages and disadvantages but some have higher performance potential than others.
if life was as simple as " a 3 way is better then a 2 way"...

I'd really like to compare graham Ls58 vs Harbeth 40.2

I've owned both the LS5/8 and the Harbeth 40.2. Both are very good and it really comes down to personal preference. In the end I sold both since I preferred the Graham LS6.

I've owned both the LS5/8 and the Harbeth 40.2. Both are very good and it really comes down to personal preference. In the end I sold both since I preferred the Graham LS6.
did you had both in your room (40.2 and ls58)? Did you found the ls58 mids lacking in any way? just curious how the 12 inch was able to do the mids...

have you compared ls6 vs ls59. I had the ls59 but ended up preferring the shl5+... curious about the ls6

Sorry, I misread your post - in fact it is the 30.2 and LS5/9 which I have owned. I have never heard either the 40.2 or the LS5/8.

But to answer your second question, I have compared the LS6 and LS5/9, having owned both. The LS5/9 is probably the more accomplished speaker, but it is rather neutral to cool sounding and I found the high frequencies a bit too pronounced for my tastes. The LS6 is a little smaller, and also sounds slightly smaller, although it seems to produce as much bass as the LS5/9, but with a bit less control. But the LS6 is warmer and richer sounding, and I find the treble better balanced and less intrusive. It really does sound like a bigger version of the LS3/5A sound.

The LS6s take a long time to run in, and sound pretty ordinary for the first 200 hours, but after that they sound fantastic. I've been through a lot of speakers over the last decade and I think these are definitely keepers. They do need the right room, however. I listen in near-field in a small room and for that they are perfect.

P5210001.jpg

exactly how id describe the Graham ls59: slightly cool and the treble bit too pronounced. I didnt like the Audax tweeter tbh. I loved many things about the ls59 but at the end of the day, that treble just grated me a bit too much and thats compared to the shl5plus which I also ended up selling due to being to hot. The LS6 use a different soft dome tweeter as I understand

interesting! care to describe 30.2 vs lS6?

The 30.2 is more "hi fi", the LS6 more musical and more fun. The LS6 is definitely more dynamic, and there is subjectively more bass, although it is a little bloated. The 30.2 is probably a bit smoother in the treble, and smoother overall. Both speakers are quite warm, but the LS6 sounds a bit darker, and tonally richer. This dark, rich, dynamic sound is what I find very engaging.

if life was as simple as " a 3 way is better then a 2 way"...

I'd really like to compare graham Ls58 vs Harbeth 40.2

That is why I wrote "some (topologies) have higher performance potential than others"; this may or may not be realised by a particular design/model.

The 30.2 is more "hi fi", the LS6 more musical and more fun. The LS6 is definitely more dynamic, and there is subjectively more bass, although it is a little bloated. The 30.2 is probably a bit smoother in the treble, and smoother overall. Both speakers are quite warm, but the LS6 sounds a bit darker, and tonally richer. This dark, rich, dynamic sound is what I find very engaging.

From your report I would say that whilst the perceived dynamics and exaggerated bass and harsher treble may sound more engaging they are artifacts/colourations. The 30.2 is probably a much better speaker.

I have the ls5/9, love them, don’t find the treble to be harsh, maybe the room making the difference, mine is well damped and large.
Ps, I liked the Grahams much better than the Harbeth.

I have the ls5/9, love them, don’t find the treble to be harsh, maybe the room making the difference, mine is well damped and large.

The LS6 doesn't have the Audax 1.3'' tweeter of the LS5/9 which plays in a different league. @RossB would probably find the LS5/9 less engaging too.

To be clear, I didn't find the treble of the LS5/9s to be harsh. Quite the contrary. I just found it to be too prominent and out of proportion.

To be clear, I didn't find the treble of the LS5/9s to be harsh. Quite the contrary. I just found it to be too prominent and out of proportion.

Isn't there an attenuator for the tweeter, right there on the front panel?

There's no doubt that Graham Audio make great speakers but calling these LS5/8 is pure marketing BS. They are the same size, there it ends.

advertisement

Back