advertisement

The Tory leadership race- that’s quite a bestiary there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently embroiled in a complaint to the BBC because they allowed JRM to get away unchallenged with calling JC 'an existential threat to the wellbeing of the nation' (i.e. basically tantamount to a terrorist).

The tone of some Tories lately is just so bloody endearing!

'An existential threat to the wellbeing of the nation' describes accurately the No Deal Brexit JRM gets wood over.

Continuing the wartime theme,I see j.hunt has associated Jeremy Corbyn with Auschwitz ,not that there's much reported in the r/w press or tv media

Do you have a link for this? I don’t doubt it, the rhetoric from increasingly desperate Brexiters be they Tory, UKIP, Brexit Corporation or worse is increasingly unhinged/batshit crazy. David Lammy’s response to Anne ‘offensively wrong about absolutely everything’ Widdecombe’s vile idiocy was worth reading (Twitter).

Do you have a link for this? I don’t doubt it, the rhetoric from increasingly desperate Brexiters be they Tory, UKIP, Brexit Corporation or worse is increasingly unhinged/batshit crazy. David Lammy’s response to Anne ‘offensively wrong about absolutely everything’ Widdecombe’s vile idiocy was worth reading (Twitter).

I don't know Twitter seems a strange place. Look at the responses it generates. He is correct but look what he brings out. Sad world. These people should have to identify themselves when posting to public figures

I don't know Twitter seems a strange place. Look at the responses it generates. He is correct but look what he brings out. Sad world. These people should have to identify themselves when posting to public figures

Bringing out the endless supply of Brexit racists only helps emphasise his point really. Its ugly, but Brexit itself is ugly. This is a deeply racist white nationalist project and has been from the off. Sadly there is a substantial market for that.

“When I went to Auschwitz I rather complacently said to myself, ‘thank goodness we don’t have to worry about that kind of thing happening in the UK’ and now I find myself faced with the leader of the Labour Party who has opened the door to antisemitism in a way that is truly frightening.”
Here is the quote,I watched it on RT where it gave fairly lengthy coverage ,including a response from a Jewish representative who condemned it. It seems to no longer be on RT,but it is from various other sources via Google

“When I went to Auschwitz I rather complacently said to myself, ‘thank goodness we don’t have to worry about that kind of thing happening in the UK’ and now I find myself faced with the leader of the Labour Party who has opened the door to antisemitism in a way that is truly frightening.”
Here is the quote,I watched it on RT where it gave fairly lengthy coverage ,including a response from a Jewish representative who condemned it. It seems to no longer be on RT,but it is from various other sources via Google

It is just astonishing that a party responsible for Windrush, Grenfell and ‘Go home’ vans, one with several highly prominent MPs in close liaison with real white supremacists/fascists such as Steve Bannon and egged on by a inherently far-right and dehumanising gutter press is so totally immune to irony.

That's torn it now, the former head of MI6 has suggested that neither candidate may be of the correct calibre to lead the nation. (Corbyn also, for balance.) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48892102
"We have potential prime ministers being elected by the Conservative Party now, [and] in the shape of the leader of the opposition, who do not have the standing that we have become used to in our top leadership," Sir John told the Today programme.

"Whether people can develop that when they become prime minister, we will have to wait and see, in terms of the candidates for the Conservative leadership.

In the surprisingly frank exchange, he said there were concerns in Whitehall about the direction the country is heading in.

"I think there is a lot of anxiety as we leave the European Union, we take a huge risk to our international standing, to the strength of the British economy."

He said former prime minister David Cameron was "unwise" to call the EU referendum in 2016, adding that it had left the country "badly divided" and the UK's standing in the world "severely diminished".

It is just astonishing that a party responsible for Windrush, Grenfell and ‘Go home’ vans, one with several highly prominent MPs in close liaison with real white supremacists/fascists such as Steve Bannon and egged on by a inherently far-right and dehumanising gutter press is so totally immune to irony.
They're not so much immune to irony as consequences, and this is why:
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/07/spectator-summer-party-in-pictures/

These c___s never have to face an awkward question. The press simply will not do it themselves - and they'll absolutely monster anyone who tries, be they a political party or an ordinary member of the public.

Gary Younge spot on:

"Throughout this time media elites, drawn from the same class as their financial and political counterparts, have mostly been obsessed by the crisis in leadership in an ostensibly “unelectable” Labour party, which has had the same leader for four years – and gained seats and vote share in the last general election. Those media elites have called pretty much every major political event, from Brexit to the last two elections, incorrectly.

The point here is not about Jeremy Corbyn or partisanship – though it could be – but perspective and proportionality. One of the reasons why British politics is so difficult to understand at present is that most of those critiquing it are so deeply embedded and implicated in the world they are critiquing, they just can’t see straight. Which leads to the final point. Since the war Britain has come to think of itself as far more meritocratic. The current situation gives the lie to that illusion. If you think Johnson is the best person for the top job then you either know nothing about the job or you know nothing about him."

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...run-self-serving-clique-crisis-narrow-section

What I still find amazing is that a such superficial and transient political figure like Cameron was capable of triggering the greatest national crisis since WW2. I can understand how he got into No.10- simply by aping Blair, exploiting an international economic crisis after a long run of Labour governments and persuading his party to conceal its true nature. True to character, he walked out of government and responsibility for what he created. Now the baton has been passed to another self-serving Bullingdon incompetent to finish the country off.

They're not so much immune to irony as consequences, and this is why:
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/07/spectator-summer-party-in-pictures/

What are Grayson Perry, Dianne Abbott and Jon Snow doing there? Genuine question, I really don’t understand why they are there if it is a party for right-wing elites as you imply. I’d find it hard to say criticise Andrew Marr for attending an event Jon Snow also attended, so I assume I don’t know the whole picture. Looking at the attendees it is the last place on earth I’d ever want to be, though I do have respect for the three people I mention.

What are Grayson Perry, Dianne Abbott and Jon Snow doing there? Genuine question, I really don’t understand why they are there if it is a party for right-wing elites as you imply. I’d find it hard to say criticise Andrew Marr for attending an event Jon Snow also attended, so I assume I don’t know the whole picture. Looking at the attendees it is the last place on earth I’d ever want to be, though I do have respect for the three people I mention.
I guess that's how it works:

- Are you going to the Spectator bash?
- F___ no.
- Jon's going.
- Well...

And the next thing you know you're all back at Taki's, laughing at his SS jokes.

It's not just that The Spectator really is a racist, far right rag, as well as a laundering operation for Guido filth and worse. It's that, if you're a political reporter, and you're part of this scene, then your job basically does itself: all you have to do is wait for a few phone calls and bam, there's your Newsnight report: "Senior sources told me earlier that..." You have zero incentive to, say, attend a conference organised by Labour on the future of work, or figure out what's going on as some council sells off land to a private housing developer, or read up on the history of the open selection debate - and you have a very strong dis-incentive to ask awkward questions of senior politicians and those around them. I mean, this isn't the only thing going on with media coverage of politics in the UK but it is a big part of it. Our political journalists represent a form of "embedded expertise" and our idea of what politics actually is is shaped accordingly. These guys honestly have no clue about anything. They're courtiers, no more or less.

So it appears loads of Tory faithful have received more than one ballot paper due to being registered at home and work addresses or receiving them in pre and post marriage names.
It makes you wonder just how many members there actually are if they are doubling up like this.

And whilst voting twice in this election is frowned upon and could lead to you being booted out of the party it is not covered by electoral law and so would not be a criminal act.

So it appears loads of Tory faithful have received more than one ballot paper due to being registered at home and work addresses or receiving them in pre and post marriage names.
It makes you wonder just how many members there actually are if they are doubling up like this.

And whilst voting twice in this election is frowned upon and could lead to you being booted out of the party it is not covered by electoral law and so would not be a criminal act.
We're in safe hands...

Given the party has no qualms whatsoever about MPs having other jobs and conflicts of interest and the party & individual MPs receiving £millions of backhanders from corporations, financial speculators and tax-exiles why they even bother with a masquerade of democracy is beyond me. The Conservatives have always been for sale, why should their ballot papers be any exception?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back