advertisement

The Tory leadership race- that’s quite a bestiary there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the BBC, Theresa May tried/managed to stop Boris getting full access to intelligence information after appointing him as Foreign Secretary. Nice timing on getting that piece of info out there. :rolleyes:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48874147
The prime minister has overall responsibility for intelligence and security matters, but day-to-day ministerial responsibility and accountability for MI6 and GCHQ sit with the foreign secretary.

However, Number 10 wanted Mr Johnson to not be shown a category of sensitive secret intelligence after he was appointed in July 2016, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of events, none of whom are involved in the leadership campaign or politics.

One person said Mr Johnson was aware of the decision at the time and was "very unhappy".

Or that you'd need to be in your mid 80's to even recall WW2 from a child's perspective.

Be interested to know what your personal experience is to make that statement?

Being young during the war actually gives you a very heightened awareness of what is going on with searchlights, barrage baloon's ,sirens and bombing raids etc. Never mind being close to Croydon airport ( just about still the premier uk airport) as well as Kenley, Biggin hill etc

Rushing into your bomb shelter and listening to houses being demolished a few yards away and constant talk about Hitler and our progress...are we winning ? will we be bombed again? Its ok Mum I have got the sugar in the shelter.

Even people directly involved did not fully understand many aspects...for example news about the severity of bombing in Hull was kept away from the public because our propagandists felt it was too demoralising.

You need to understand that unlike today people use to talk to each other and gather outside homes to discuss whether Churchill shooting his mouth off caused bombing etc etc

Lots of Adults, probably most Adults were not informed about what was happening in the war and so much was dependent upon where you lived and its impact upon you.

Be interested to know what your personal experience is to make that statement?

Being young during the war actually gives you a very heightened awareness of what is going on with searchlights, barrage baloon's ,sirens and bombing raids etc. Never mind being close to Croydon airport ( just about still the premier uk airport) as well as Kenley, Biggin hill etc

Rushing into your bomb shelter and listening to houses being demolished a few yards away and constant talk about Hitler and our progress...are we winning ? will we be bombed again? Its ok Mum I have got the sugar in the shelter.

Even people directly involved did not fully understand many aspects...for example news about the severity of bombing in Hull was kept away from the public because our propagandists felt it was too demoralising.

You need to understand that unlike today people use to talk to each other and gather outside homes to discuss whether Churchill shooting his mouth off caused bombing etc etc

Lots of Adults, probably most Adults were not informed about what was happening in the war and so much was dependent upon where you lived and its impact upon you.

If you did have experience of war and rationing why the hell would you think it was a good thing for your children and grandchildren to experience the same pain and deprivation?

Stephen

If you did have experience of war and rationing why the hell would you think it was a good thing for your grandchildren to experience the same pain and deprivation.

Stephen
Apparently that generation are much less likely to be leavers than their offspring.

Continuing the wartime theme,I see j.hunt has associated Jeremy Corbyn with Auschwitz ,not that there's much reported in the r/w press or tv media

Continuing the wartime theme,I see j.hunt has associated Jeremy Corbyn with Auschwitz ,not that there's much reported in the r/w press or tv media

I'm currently embroiled in a complaint to the BBC because they allowed JRM to get away unchallenged with calling JC 'an existential threat to the wellbeing of the nation' (i.e. basically tantamount to a terrorist).

The tone of some Tories lately is just so bloody endearing!

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/new...ree-milkshakes-for-boris-johnsons-city-visit/

Boris-Johnson-milkshake-collage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back