advertisement

Name Dropping.

George J

Herefordshire member
In the New Years Honours list was my cousin, the champion jockey, Richard Johnson.

Cousin once removed as his father is my real cousin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-46702687

Some people have enough luck to follow their vocation. I see absolutely no reason why a person should be honoured for doing so. Most people work just as hard at occupations that are never recognised. We live in a strange society that seems to put celebrity above good honest work at more mundane occupations.

I last saw Richard on Christmas Eve 1984 when I picked up my dearly beloved Welsh Collie [six weeks old who lived till 1997 - a marvellous working sheepdog] and have seen his father once since at a funeral.

Anyone else related to someone famous or notorious?

Best wishes from George

Depends on how famous. My brother is quite famous in the folk music world, a 3 time winner of BBC Folk musician of the year.

His father in law is a KBE and one of the top 100 scientists, Sir Peter Knight.

Now science is commendable as a vocation. It is the route of progress towards the sunlight uplands!

Best wishes from George

My cousin is Nick Brown who set up NikWax. He’s doing very well. I don’t see him very often though as he’s in Kent and we’re in Devon.

In the New Years Honours list was my cousin, the champion jockey, Richard Johnson.

Cousin once removed as his father is my real cousin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-46702687

Some people have enough luck to follow their vocation. I see absolutely no reason why a person should be honoured for doing so. Most people work just as hard at occupations that are never recognised. We live in a strange society that seems to put celebrity above good honest work at more mundane occupations.

I last saw Richard on Christmas Eve 1984 when I picked up my dearly beloved Welsh Collie [six weeks old who lived till 1997 - a marvellous working sheepdog] and have seen his father once since at a funeral.

Anyone else related to someone famous or notorious?

Best wishes from George

Richard Johnson is a great ambassador for the sport, a decent bloke and excellent role model who's been at the top of his game for decades. His honour is justified, in my view.

In other news, my great auntie is an ex-bond girl (turned down honours).

Depends on how famous. My brother is quite famous in the folk music world, a 3 time winner of BBC Folk musician of the year.

His father in law is a KBE and one of the top 100 scientists, Sir Peter Knight.
I'll take a guess it's Andy Cutting (username helps ;))

Richard Johnson is a great ambassador for the sport, a decent bloke and excellent role model who's been at the top of his game for decades. His honour is justified, in my view.

In other news, my great auntie is an ex-bond girl (turned down honours).

I did not say that Richard is not great. He is. In another time he would have been the longest serving champion jockey of all time, except the great AP McCoy was slightly more successful for so many years!

BUT I don't see why we celebrate the pursuit of celebrity over simply working just as hard at something more needed but less recognised as being celebrity ...

We don't gain anything for a great ambassador for sport. Sport is really not a useful thing. Not remotely useful. He has been useful for me, gaining more than the odd pint for my reco' of a horse, because he was riding it and the subsequent bet won! But not a net gain for humanity ...

Good on your relative turning down the Honour!

Best wishes from George

My sister in law was one of the last few to see it through in Doctors To Be on the telly. She is now the columnist doctor Agony Aunt for a teen magazine, the name of which escapes me. Again.

I have a walk on part in David Putman's Memphis Belle.

My Mum's cousin was a decent county cricketer for Somerset and opened for England a few times but it didn't work out, was big mates with Andy Caddick.

BUT I don't see why we celebrate the pursuit of celebrity over simply working just as hard at something more needed but less recognised as being celebrity …
Celebrity status can inspire others to follow the same path, nowt wrong with that.

"Celebrity" & it's accompanying social standing has little to do with someone like the guy you mention who will have little control of this, i doubt he began his career in search of awards & celebrity status. More to do with society's need to aspire to others for personal meaning. This is why the celebrity world keeps chugging along. Many need a shining light to aspire to.

As for not celebrating hard working individuals, you have either been hiding in a hole since you were born or have little interest in looking deeper into this as many hard working, well meaning folk are celebrated for their achievements, doesn't always need to be a headline in some news paper to matter but it matters to those their work affects & who's lives they enrich. This is reward enough .

Having said all that I did once sit down for a nice cup of tea with Henry Cooper :D

My uncles sister is Sue Pollard (whatever that makes her to me). Last saw her at a family funeral with Doc Martens and a dog collar (no, not that type, a leather studded one!).

Not really a relative, but my Godson’s brother was in Prince’s band for a couple years, and was the house DJ at Paisley Park.

advertisement

Back