advertisement

The Tory leadership race- that’s quite a bestiary there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

Leave voters voted Leave in the belief that somehow we’d be better off out of the EU. We’re still waiting for a jot, a scintilla, of credible evidence of exactly how we’ll be better off.

Take back control? We’ve got it and parliament is now paralysed.

Immigration? Got it. EU immigration, down; immigration overall, up

Prosperity? Out of the EU we’ll have loads of fantastic new trade deals. Ha! To get anything more fantastic than a deal with the Faroe Islands, the NHS will have to be ‘on the table’

How will we be better off?

How?

Blue passports.

Rather than select someone inoffensive (largely through a complete paucity of any such people) and allow Corbyn at least the chance to defeat himself. The Tories are selecting the only candidate whose own deficiencies and dishonesty could lose it. He's toxic in Scotland and many other parts of the UK and that's without opening his mouth again. No wonder Ruth Davidson is looking pretty glum, she knows they will be wiped out up there and they won't win a majority.
You can't really blame them. Hunt's the man who wasn't there: he offers a clear window onto the complete absence of appealing policies, and Labour's got a full house. All the Tories have to offer against the left is Brexit and a charismatic leader, and on both of those they're outflanked to the right. They're completely snookered and it's all their own doing, the inevitable consequence of 40 years of hate-mongering and doctrinaire economic policy.

Slap it into them!

You can't really blame them. Hunt's the man who wasn't there: he offers a clear window onto the complete absence of appealing policies, and Labour's got a full house. All the Tories have to offer against the left is Brexit and a charismatic leader, and on both of those they're outflanked to the right. They're completely snookered and it's all their own doing, the inevitable consequence of 40 years of hate-mongering and doctrinaire economic policy.

Slap it into them!
The problem is there’s going to be extensive collateral damage- the Tories will leave a massive booby trap behind, not just a humorous note with “there’s no money left” written on it.

zm1oow.jpg

Gaaaaaaarrrghh!
Fcuck business,nnnnnn, fcuck everything!!!!

The problem is there’s going to be extensive collateral damage- the Tories will leave a massive booby trap behind, not just a humorous note with “there’s no money left” written on it.
They were always going to. You can't just do what they did to the place over the course of 40 years and leave the place as you found it. Brexit's not even the worst thing, it's still just a symptom.

They were always going to. You can't just do what they did to the place over the course of 40 years and leave the place as you found it. Brexit's not even the worst thing, it's still just a symptom.
We’ve now entered the Endarkenment. Labour’s strategy of speaking softly and simply waiting its turn at the next GE will have been their death knell. The ground has been torn up under them- there won’t be a pre-2016 country to come back to after the Brexit war.

We’ve now entered the Endarkenment. Labour’s strategy of speaking softly and simply waiting its turn at the next GE will have been their death knell. The ground has been torn up under them- there won’t be a pre-2016 country to come back to after the Brexit war.
Labour did the principled thing and the sensible thing by trying to take the heat out of Brexit, and reaching a compromise, while they shifted attention to some underlying issues. Always doomed to failure, you might say, but I don't see that diving full on into a culture war would have helped. And still no-one else has any idea how to deal with the aftermath. Scottish progressives might think they can just walk away, but they'll have their own stuff to deal with. Nationalism always means a culture war.

Labour did the principled thing and the sensible thing by trying to take the heat out of Brexit, and reaching a compromise, while they shifted attention to some underlying issues. Always doomed to failure, you might say, but I don't see that diving full on into a culture war would have helped. And still no-one else has any idea how to deal with the aftermath. Scottish progressives might think they can just walk away, but they'll have their own stuff to deal with. Nationalism always means a culture war.
It’s because Brexit is really English Nationalism wearing a red white and blue merkin, that Labour has lost most of its traction. The normal battle lines of left-right, Tory-Labour upped sticks overnight. Something entirely different is now happening. The battle is for England’s independence - from the constraints of EU treaties and from N.Ireland and Scotland by association. It’s been there all the time but suppressed, now a large part of England has woken up to the very real compromises it has had to make and said WTF?

It’s because Brexit is really English Nationalism wearing a red white and blue merkin, that Labour has lost most of its traction. The normal battle lines of left-right, Tory-Labour upped sticks overnight. Something entirely different is now happening. The battle is for England’s independence - from the constraints of EU treaties and from N.Ireland and Scotland by association. It’s been there all the time but suppressed, now a large part of England has woken up to the very real compromises it has had to make and said WTF?
I don't disagree, I just think Labour were right not to jump in the sh__show with both feet. They can still defuse the situation if they play it right, but there's no denying the ground has shifted. PV represents the last compromise position available.

Gordon Brown I see, has just spelled it out at the Fabian Society today. Here’s the names of the four Scottish Tory MPs supporting Johnson. Their prospects of being re-elected is now virtually zero I’d say. Bring on the GE.

Andrew Bowie- clueless about how Brexit will work.
Douglas Ross- “I’d deal with the Gypsies”.
Colin Clark - ‘Johnson is going to swat the SNP like a midge’.
Ross Thomson- the Westminster groper.

j7cacx.jpg

Johnson is the epitome of the 'useful idiot'.

And before anyone says "well, he went to the 'best school' and 'best university' in England and can speak the Latin, so he must be dead clever," I'll point out that so did Cameron and Rees-Mogg.

This says volumes about the English education system.

Stephen

No wonder they kept him hidden. It's car crash stuff today.

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1143491303466053633

But he's still on course to win by a massive margin and there's not even a hint of a sign that he can be stopped.

I think he'll prove to be one of the most disastrous leaders in World history.

He'll be one of the most short-lived leaders. He's coming apart at the seams, just completely useless - worse than May - at the one thing he was supposed to be good at. No way is this guy going to win a general election. My only worry is that the penny's going to drop with CP members in time. Not that Hunt's the man to reverse anyone's fortunes, but still: what an absolute gift to Labour Johnson would be.

He'll be one of the most short-lived leaders. He's coming apart at the seams, just completely useless - worse than May - at the one thing he was supposed to be good at. No way is this guy going to win a general election. My only worry is that the penny's going to drop with CP members in time. Not that Hunt's the man to reverse anyone's fortunes, but still: what an absolute gift to Labour Johnson would be.
In a way we should be hoping for his election, except for the mess there’s going to be on the walls.

In a way we should be hoping for his election, except for the mess there’s going to be on the walls.
The Tories are going to do their level best to torch the joint on the way out whoever the leader is. Johnson would have less time to do it in and he'd balls it up. We should all absolutely be hoping that this fly-tipped DFS sofa of a man takes the top spot.

Indeed.

If Hunt wins the Brexit mess will be blamed on a 'remainer'. "If only we'd had Johnson, we'd have had a 'clean' Brexit' and sunny uplands," will be the cry.

Johnson led the Leave vote. He has nowhere to hide.

Obviously, apart from wherever he's hiding now.

Stephen

No wonder they kept him hidden. It's car crash stuff today.

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1143491303466053633

But he's still on course to win by a massive margin and there's not even a hint of a sign that he can be stopped.

I think he'll prove to be one of the most disastrous leaders in World history.

‘I’m going to put more money into education, police, infrastructure, Midlands powerhouse’

‘My hero is Pericles ‘for the many not the few’ of Athens’

Is Boris a Marxist?

Or, whose promises are most Marxist, Corbyn or Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back