advertisement

90s Vinyl Prices

deebster

Half Man Half Biscuit
Been cataloging my collection on Discogs and whilst not wholly unexpected given CD's popularity at the time I'm still surprised by the values being quoted for some 90s vinyl.

For niche stuff that never sold in large numbers in any format and so is rare on vinyl I can understand, but so far my most valuable stuff are The Cure's Wish and Wild Mood Swings albums, both getting on for £100. The singles fetch a bit too.

Perhaps some of those spur of the moment buys in my younger days weren't such bad moves, or the picking up of 2nd copies from bargain bins.

Yes. I, too, was surprised when I Discog'd my collection last year. I assume it's because the 90's were the nadir of vinyl production and album releases were small in number.

I assume it's because the 90's were the nadir of vinyl production and album releases were small in number.

That's what I think. Finding vinyl from those days is not easy. I was still buying it at the time, I think it was about 2000 before I bought a CD player, but even at the time you had to look for it. The big shops that used to stock vinyl, like Woolworths and John Menzies, had all stopped and even the record stores had cut right back.

I wouldn't pay £100 for an album though, that's just crazy.

Agreed but never thought much about it before. Guess the vinyl sales then were really very low compared to CD

A mint copy of Wild Mood Swings is 200 notes on discogs :eek:

Not that I'd be selling em but nice to see Trashcan Sinatras albums are fetching a high price

And Cranberries stuff too. May well have to shift on the mint copies of a couple of singles I have if they could fetch £50

That's what I think. Finding vinyl from those days is not easy. I was still buying it at the time, I think it was about 2000 before I bought a CD player, but even at the time you had to look for it. The big shops that used to stock vinyl, like Woolworths and John Menzies, had all stopped and even the record stores had cut right back.

I wouldn't pay £100 for an album though, that's just crazy.

£100 ?
That’s more than crazy...

Cd was king at that time and vinyl was almost dead, now some are looking for the vinyl copies of the cd's that they bought in the 90's, so not hard to see why the prices are high.
Supply and Demand sums it up

I had to sell my vinyl off about ten years ago - I can't remember too many details but a few special pressings went for several hundred, I think a mfsp copy of Dark side of the moon went for £800 and a couple of jazz albums for £300 or so...

I bought a lot of vinyl in the 90s, so I am quite smug about my decision to stick with vinyl through those difficult times. Paul Weller fetches crazy money, well over £100 per album.

Unfortunately every thing vinyl I've ever thought could be worth a few bob turned out to be worth FA! I thought 80's Soft Cell 12" singles in good nick may be worth a few bob ... about £1.50! I think I paid £1.99 new for them back then...

Are those the prices people want, or are they actual selling prices?

If you want to see crazy prices take a look at Blue Note first pressings.

Those are requests / for sale prices, but actual sales are in the same region.

As an example, Code: Selfish by The Fall. Lowest, average and highest recent sale prices are 30, 50 & 80. Current asking price for vg+ is 45 up.

Free Range indeed :p

A mint copy of Wild Mood Swings is 200 notes on discogs :eek:

woo hoo! we've got one in perfect shape. i never would have guessed it'd be worth that much.

on the other hand, i suppose i've paid some alarming sums in recent years for copies of my faves from back in the day. i forked out about £100 for mint copies of The Bends and This Is Hardcore (pardon the boast, but The Bends LP i got is amazing -- 1st press in true time-warp condition -- the seller bought it when it came out but never had a record player).

yeah, that makes me crazy -- but happy crazy.

The problem I have is the few things I bought that turned out to be worth serious cash (Boards Of Canada, Leftfield, Doves etc) all ended up getting reissued which has dented the price somewhat! There was a point you could get about £300 for the first Doves album!

PS I’ve got This Is Hardcore too.

having thought a bit, non-reissued stuff from the 2000s onward is surprisingly pricey, too. to cite but one example, Bat for Lashes records command some hefty sums. unfortunately for me, this sort of reinforces my worst impulse to take "flyers" on stuff at the record shop -- 'cause once the first pressing sells out, you're out of luck.

Different Class isn't much less.

Just been having a look at some Sarah Records stuff. Not twee prices.

PS I’ve got This Is Hardcore too.

good man! i'm not surprised in the least.

there are few records that transport me back in time quite as much as this one does. i was listening to it fairly obsessively at the time i met my wife (quite funny that, given the record's subject matter) and it left an indelible mark on me.

also, side four of the LP has tracks i don't have elsewhere in my collection, including Pulp's awesome and ill-fated attempt to cut a theme song for the Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies.

I can remember 93-95 when vinyl was pretty much on the way out, we couldn't give away the stuff. Much went back to the record companies and I'm sure that a lot got recycled. I think that value is down to scarcity more than quality - ISTR lots of LPs being returned with faults.

Pulp Different Class aperture sleeve.
Ocean Colour Scene Moseley Shoals double.
Weller Wild Wood and Stanley Road.
Nice.:D

I have Different Class, This is hard core, at least two Doves records on vinyl, Stanley Road, Heavy Soul & all the Portishead releases from back in the day. I believe that even 1st press Oasis are worth a few quid? I also have 'The Bends' & 'OK computer'

advertisement

Back