advertisement

Who's Heard the Dutch & Dutch Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any point using a better DAC with the D&D if you are feeding them with analogue out only for the D&D's to re-digitize the signal?

Yes. Any deficiencies in the DAC will translate through the speakers, just as they would with a conventional all-analogue active or passive speaker system. It is quite common for owners to repurpose an existing DAC as a way to expand the number and type of inputs or to add a more convenient volume control. There is is nothing terribly wrong with that, but there are options which provide those features whilst leaving digital signals in the digital domain.

I don't want to add colour / distortion. Right now I use a Mytek Brooklyn and am really happy with the result! But if adding something like a DAVE DAC (yes I would try it first) would be a further improvement then I may be tempted!

Why wouldn’t you just give them a digital signal? How can adding a redundant D to A stage and then another redundant A to D stage, however good, do anything but degrade the performance?

Mytek is a good design, the chord is a good design I wouldn’t expect any difference, you could try digital direct, I have two pairs of 8Cs here one digital input one analogue and I can’t hear any difference.
The 8Cs in a benign room is about as good as it gets.
Keith

That's probably what I will do. I asked Martijn about a breakout box while he was here installing them but he remained tight lipped! Hoping this is on the agenda.

Looking good Andrew, how about adding a few lines of text?

What are the Innuos and mini-dsp doing in the mix?

What the 2 power supplies? on the shelf above the Lingo are powering, is it your analogue stage? How is the TT fitting into the pathway?

Is the object on the right of the left speaker an ornament or room treatment? ;)

.sjb

Hi SJB.

The kit list is in my signature thing at the foot of all my posts:D

Innuos Zenith III is basically storing 1050 CD Albums, plus is the Roon Core and Qobuz.

MiniDSP SHD is behaving as a pre amp, and actually has the filters for the bass room correction stored on it.

Top to bottom of the rack: LP12, MiniDSP, Innuos, Heed Quasar 2-box phono stage, and Lingo 2.

The cat tower is essential for quality sound...

I'll be showing a similar system at the North West Audio Show next weekend (bedroom 3).

Well Tempered Lab Simplex 2 with Dynavector 20X2 and P75 MkIV
Innuos Zen Mk3 (with Roon)
MiniDSP SHD
Dutch & Dutch 8c
Mains distribution and filtering by Puritan Audio Laboratories
Equipment stands by Solid Sounds and Custom Design

Looks nice. You seem to be sitting a lot further away from the speakers than they are apart - is that right, or just an effect of the lens? If it is so, why would you do that?

Also, I thought it was the case that the D&Ds were at their best with a hard wall close behind them. You seem to have an angled bay window. Why would you do that?

That setup looks gorgeous! The angled bay window makes an interesting acoustics challenge but you can move them around a bit or closer to the side walls. The 8C certainly appreciates some help finding the right spot, the less DSP work the better. The pair I had at home needed a day or two of experiments but when the distance to the front wall and the DSP settings clicked together it was a revelation.

I'll be showing a similar system at the North West Audio Show next weekend (bedroom 3).

Well Tempered Lab Simplex 2 with Dynavector 20X2 and P75 MkIV
Innuos Zen Mk3 (with Roon)
MiniDSP SHD
Dutch & Dutch 8c
Mains distribution and filtering by Puritan Audio Laboratories
Equipment stands by Solid Sounds and Custom Design

So you are using Mini DSP SHD for bass DRC or as a "digital preamp" or both? Do you recommend adding bass DRC to a setup with the Dutch&Dutch?

Looks nice. You seem to be sitting a lot further away from the speakers than they are apart - is that right, or just an effect of the lens? If it is so, why would you do that?

Its a lens effect. I'd say its not an equilateral triangle effect, but not far off.

Also, I thought it was the case that the D&Ds were at their best with a hard wall close behind them. You seem to have an angled bay window. Why would you do that?

The speakers do have the wall behind them, but its a living room, so some compromise in terms of situ have to be made. The speakers are a good 50cm from their respective side walls, and 20 cm from the rear wall. The image perhaps doesn't show this clearly, but I'm pleased with the results.

I've spent quite a bit of time listening to them this week at both quieter and louder volumes. The detail there at quieter volumes was much more apparent than what I had before. Loud is, well, daft really. If its on the recording it gets produced. Its very easy to hear production differences now with different music.

Roon/Qobuz is also very good. The sound quality is fine for me.

So you are using Mini DSP SHD for bass DRC or as a "digital preamp" or both? Do you recommend adding bass DRC to a setup with the Dutch&Dutch?

In my case, the settings for the room correction are in the MiniDSP. The software for altering the settings this way seems very user friendly. Once I've got used to the presets i have, Lee has some further ones for me to try.

Both. The MiniDSP SHD has a mix of analogue and digital inputs. Its analogue inputs are connected to a high quality analogue to digital converter. In my listening, this is indistinguishable from the one inside the speakers. I will then run a digital signal out to the speakers. This way audio signals go through the exact same number of ADC and DAC steps as a source connected directly to the speakers.

I will use some parametric EQ filters to even out the bass. I could implement the filters inside the 8c or inside the SHD, but the four presets on the SHD make it easy to quickly turn the filtering on/off or switch between different target curves (flat, warm etc). Setup is also a little bit quicker with the SHD as it can import filter sets as files exported from REW.

PS, please tell me that door handle wont bash the right speakers!!!

Indeed an issue! I'm looking for a suitable solution. Preferably one where it doesn't involve drilling into a concrete floor! i have a couple of ideas, but am waiting into all the new furniture is in, and the right speaker is in its 'permanent' place...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back