advertisement

The Children Poll

How many children do you have? Select a number and reason.

Votes: 41 32.0%

Votes: 16 12.5%

Votes: 44 34.4%

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • 4+

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • My/Partners decision

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • Decided for me (medical or circumstances)

Votes: 20 15.6%

• Total voters
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_and_fertility

Income and fertility is the association between monetary gain on one hand, and the tendency to produce offspring on the other. There is generally an inverse correlation between income and the total fertility rate within and between nations. The higher the degree of education and GDP per capita of a human population, subpopulation or social stratum, the fewer children are born in any industrialized country.[3] In a 1974 UN population conference in Bucharest, Karan Singh, a former minister of population in India, illustrated this trend by stating "Development is the best contraceptive."

Im 63 with twins - boy&girl. They will be 22 in December. Son works for Nexen petroleum(or is that CNOOC now). The nature/ nurture debate is interesting with twins.
Both obviously brought up in the same environment but could not be more different. Daughter is an absolute bloody nightmare, and seems to have lived 3 lives already! She is at Pirbrite at the minute, and I only hope she can overcome her knee injury and progress to the Royal Artillery. Though the idea of her having a gun is disturbing. She's a handful, but of course, I love her to bits.

Steve

Here's a thought, do parents love their children more than children love their parents?

“There is no reciprocity. Men love women. Women love children. Children love hamsters. Hamsters don't love anyone; it is quite hopeless" - Alice Thomas Ellis

- also - this:
calvin_strangle.gif

To be frank, I wasn't especially bothered about having kids, but we ended up with two girls... now 34 and 39 and I wouldn't send them back..

Oldest is married and has supplied two adorable Grandkids and a sound son in law. She has all of the health issues, being partially sighted, asthmatic, and currently on about her fourth or fifth broken bone. Ankle this time. But she is a pragmatist and a hard working Mum and Grad, despite her disability.

Youngest is a designer. Very 'driven' and in her own words 'plays hard ball' in 'business', but is really quite emotionally fragile.

The oldest needs me for putting shelves up and suchlike, as her hubby's talents don't include D.I.Y.

The youngest frequently needs my emotional support, or just a 'shoulder'. It's very touching that she thinks I have answers, when I mostly doubt it.

We're at that point now where the roles 'flip', and the kids are starting to see us as more of a 'responsibility/liability' than as a resource. ( Except for baby-sitting) That's a new feeling for me.

Although we didn't have them with this in mind,.. it's a bit reassuring to know that they will be there for whichever of us remains after the first one doesn't.. as it were....

We were confirmed bachelor/spinster until we met in our early 30s. We would have loved children, but unfortunately Mrs T's biological clock had almost stopped. One round of IVF and the hospital said she wasn't responding to the hormones and it was not worth trying again.

Of course it is perfectly possible to lead a full & fantastic life without kids. I have several friends & couples that have chosen to do so. Their money, efforts & emotions can all be channelled into doing whatever they want with their life, whether it's a career, holidays, spontaneity, et al without needing to consider knock on affect to their offspring.
However, no holiday, expensive car, career achievement, item of hifi, cat, dog or anything else will make you cry with joy, pride or pain the way that a child of your own will.

However, no holiday, expensive car, career achievement, item of hifi, cat, dog or anything else will make you cry with joy, pride or pain the way that a child of your own will.

I suspect the thing you miss is just how different people are personality wise and that some folk really don’t thrive in the sort of loud cluttered random environment a family with children brings! For some of us that is a pretty stressful environment we just don’t enjoy. It doesn’t make us right/wrong, less/more or anything. It is just another one of millions of choices one makes over the course of a lifetime. I think the likening it as a choice between children and material goods as many posts here appear to do misses the point entirely, for me its more a long-held realisation that it would drive me totally nuts!

May I just say that choosing to have children or not choosing to have children are equally valid choices. It is usually those who have children, however, who seem to assume some higher moral ground.
It's true this. Possibly.

My understanding of people, the world and other philosophical areas has been greatly enhanced because I had children. I therefore conclude that there must be many others that have benefited like me. And also that there must be many whose understanding of the world has been constrained by not having kids.

My understanding of people, the world and other philosophical areas has been greatly enhanced because I had children

But the enhancement amount depends on the starting point.

And also that there must be many whose understanding of the world has been constrained by not having kids.

No, what simplistic view of life. Life is holistic, we develop our understanding of the world is so many ways, progeny are just one aspect of that.

It is usually those who have children, however, who seem to assume some higher moral ground.

It certainly appears to be the case in this PFM community. Which to me, shows from certain posters, that in having children, the actors have failed to develop understanding, open-mindedness and empathy.

Rather have my cats than kids thanks, but have now inherited 3 kids via my partner from her previous relationship. I was right, cats are far more likeable!

May I just say that choosing to have children or not choosing to have children are equally valid choices. It is usually those who have children, however, who seem to assume some higher moral ground.

You may say it, of course.

Personally, I think it's the sort of debate in which both sides are likely to be equally wrong.

“ I always wanted three children, but now I’ve got one I don’t want any.”
Lee Mack

advertisement

Back